• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

BeckyDaleGabe

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Is this much similarity allowed? Machinarium-inspired (to put it mildly) game Futurust

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

badlemon - 03 August 2017 12:34 PM
nomadsoul - 03 August 2017 12:23 PM
badlemon - 03 August 2017 11:57 AM

When you add the similar level design and art style as well as fragments like the walking icon you get a total rip off

All that also applies to

Quest for Infamy,KQ5,6,Quest for glory

All these use an art style that had been well established by many titles so they are just following a general trend. And I don’t consider games to be rip offs just because they share a common setting such as medieval fantasy.

On the other hand, if you copy an art style that’s unique and emblematic such as let’s say Kentucky Route Zero (and on top of that use similar setting, characters, story etc.), then you are crossing a line imo.

On art styles: how do art styles get established? Simply when they are used a lot. Look at the Japanese RPGs using the same unique style (that is no longer unique).

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

badlemon - 03 August 2017 12:34 PM

All these use an art style that had been well established by many titles so they are just following a general trend. And I don’t consider games to be rip offs just because they share a common setting such as medieval fantasy.

On the other hand, if you copy an art style that’s unique and emblematic such as let’s say Kentucky Route Zero (and on top of that use similar setting, characters, story etc.), then you are crossing a line imo.

All the games mentioned have pretty same jungle and icons and artstyle
You can google the images of forest and towns, i can post side by side but i dont want to since i have no issue with copying that much
In FPS genre to Survival horror (Menu,mechanics,sounds etc) , many copied directly, it always existed in games
You also have Flappy bird to Ocean horn
you have Humantorch of marvel and then Cinder of Killerinstinct
And KZ0 line i dont agree with, there is no line as long as assets and code is directly being copied

And Cakesofdoom is on point, all moe japanese characters are hardly distinguishable

Moreover in GF remake Devs said

Good artists copy, great artists steal

Smile

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

nomadsoul - 03 August 2017 01:39 PM

And KZ0 line i dont agree with, there is no line as long as assets and code is directly being copied

Legally speaking, I agree. Morally speaking, I don’t. I know that all artists steal from each other (and I don’t mind it at all) but that can be done in a smart and elegant way Smile

And as I said I was referring to games whose art style is emblematic and not part of a trend. Obviously jRPGs don’t fall in that category.

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Headycakesofdoom - 03 August 2017 12:56 PM

On art styles: how do art styles get established? Simply when they are used a lot.

You could say this about every art movement in history.  I think in most cases it’s incremental, it evolves.

It seems like the fallacy of the beard here; ie. because this exists on a continuum there is no difference between straight IP theft and referencing something that’s gone before.

And the cases here lie somewhere in between those things again.

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Yeah this came up in an adventure games group and, honestly, I think sticking so close to Machinarium is hurting the project rather than helping it. I understand that Amanita is cool with it (their game is too big for them to worry, prolly), but…

I don’t know, it’s weird. I definitely have my influences and they show in our game, but this is a bit too close for comfort, and it’s so strange that you’d make a game and kill its chances to have a voice of its own. I don’t understand why you would do that as a creator. Why not just make a fan game and call it that? Weird.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Mr Underhill - 04 August 2017 04:26 AM

Yeah this came up in an adventure games group and, honestly, I think sticking so close to Machinarium is hurting the project rather than helping it. I understand that Amanita is cool with it (their game is too big for them to worry, prolly), but…

I don’t know, it’s weird. I definitely have my influences and they show in our game, but this is a bit too close for comfort, and it’s so strange that you’d make a game and kill its chances to have a voice of its own. I don’t understand why you would do that as a creator. Why not just make a fan game and call it that? Weird.

Absolutely. I definitely don’t think there should be a legal issue here (I’d understand if Amanita were privately a bit miffed at the similarity, but bringing the lawyers in wouldn’t improve the situation for anyone except maybe the lawyers). But the biggest issue is that looking so similar makes it that much harder for the game to establish its own identity. It could also undermine the Kickstarter as you say, if it makes backers suspect the developers lack ideas of their own.

Which is a shame, because for all I know the similarities are only superficial and it might be totally different and original to play.

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Yes, and they wouldn’t even need to change too much. I mean, “visual style” is something extremely hard to define, but as far as I am concerned even just radically changing the protagonist’s design would do wonders, moving it from “way too close to Machinarium for comfort” to “Oh I see the visual influences but it stands on its own”.

Curious how this project will fare either way, I wish all indie adventures well.

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

I don’t even understand their kickstarter. It says they earned 605 pounds but need 3500 for the “full version”. So they are making a demo?

Total Posts: 461

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

It is a bit odd. Makes me wonder why they didn’t just do a normal month long campaign, if a week campaign wasn’t going to get the funds they really need?

Now Playing: Harold Halibut, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Botany Manor, Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Total Posts: 1078

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

There’s no inspiration here,it’s a hack.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

I’m going to make a bold prediction that this will be better than Machinarium.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Headycakesofdoom - 04 August 2017 07:59 AM

I don’t even understand their kickstarter. It says they earned 605 pounds but need 3500 for the “full version”. So they are making a demo?

Yep. The kickstarter is for a tech demo. A full game is in the distant horizon.. and im sure the end product would look much different than the mock-ups were seeing.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top