• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

AnimeAdamCaliMonkCharophycean

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Melancholic adventure games

Total Posts: 97

Joined 2011-03-06

PM

I would definitely say Next Life fits the bill

Currently Playing: The Testament of Sherlock Holmes;
Currently Re-Playing: Culpa Innata

Recently Finished: Secret Files: Puritas Cordis, Art of Murder: Hunt for the Puppeteer, Dear Esther

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

How about Dear Esther?

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2006-09-08

PM

Much as I adore Dear Esther (and have played it a number of times), it’s not really an adventure game. Smile

Total Posts: 27

Joined 2010-10-14

PM

Dracula Origin.
The setting, the atmosphere, the soundtrack… All make it a very melancholic adventure.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

badlemon - 10 October 2012 08:07 PM

damn, one must define what a melancholic game stands for. i guess it depends on the player so it’s hard to give recommendations.

The recent game which made me pretty melancholic was the Blackwell series. But as I said it’s hard to describe a game with that kind of term. Hell, I can name 70 percent of the adventure games and they can all have the melancholy vibe in them.

If one were to think of it in medical terms, melancholia is borderline depression. If that were the case, the original poster would appear to be asking for depressing games. I hope that’s not the case. And if it isn’t I don’t know how he/she is defining melancholic as it pertains to games.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

I would say melancholia in a non-medical context refers to a certain kind of detached sadness. That is, not something you can specify (ie: “I’m sad because of this or that”), but an overall mood permeating the game. Probably not the right usage of the word, but it’s fairly accepted.

Same with “atmospheric”. It’s actually wrong to say that a game or movie is atmospheric, but even Kubrick has been quoted using this term. As long as everybody understands what you’re implying, I guess it’s fine.

Senscape // Founder // Designer | Working on: Asylum | Twitter: @AgustinCordes

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2012-01-08

PM

I love Syberia when it comes to melancholia, but I strongly recommend GK: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned. Scenes that gave me goosebumps still kinda haunt me, but in a melancholic way. Wink
And if you are up for a puzzle focused journey, Machinarium has the atmosphere you may like. Smile

“No, no! The adventures first, explanations take such a dreadful time.” - Lewis Carroll

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Agustín Cordes - 13 October 2012 07:43 PM

As long as everybody understands what you’re implying, I guess it’s fine.

True, but not everybody understands. I certainly don’t understand what the original poster meant by melancholic. Semantics, perhaps, but he/she knew what the term meant to him/her. But nobody else did.

Now if he/she had said “I’m looking for a game that is likely to evoke “X” emotional response, I think suggestions would be more appropriate.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top