• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Theme Of The Week #9 - Choosing your own Adventure

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Apologies if the scope of this theme is too broad but it’s the best I could come up with! Smile

A few of our members have bravely taken the plunge and started (or finished) designing their own adventure games.  But what have you imagined your own adventure game would look like?  Do you plan on making it some day?

Here are a few elements to start off the discussion:

Themes
From hunting serial killers in Still Life to quests in magical kingdoms like Book of Unwritten Tales.

Characters
From much-loved heroes like Monkey Island’s Guybrush Threepwood to divisive characters like Jensen’s misanthropic snob,  Malachi Rector, in Moebius: Empire Rising.

Setting
You can have history-rich adventures such as the Gabriel Knight series or you can have it all with a post-apocalyptic future mixed with medieval fantasy in The Longest Journey universe.

Graphics
Are you a fan of straight 2D adventures like those created in AGS, the full 3D experience of some modern masterpieces like Siberia III or somewhere in between?

Puzzles
What unique puzzles would you add to your world to stand out from the norm?  Which would you avoid at all costs?

I’ll leave you with my personal favourite from the all-time classic Still Life.  Tough and innovative, it really felt like they’d done their research on how lock-picking worked (I have no idea if it bears any actual resemblance to the art).

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

If I had the skill and inclination to create a game, I would go with an open world with either a science fiction or fantasy theme and would make it first person.  Since the main character would be me, I’d like to have a sense of humor but also an underlying morality and compassion, like Jake Stonebender in Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon.  I’m not too fussy about graphics, but since I enjoy exploring all the nooks and crannies of a world, I’d either choose 3D or pre-rendered backgrounds with nodes that would allow me to look around.  I would also try to vary my puzzles and make them a part of the story.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Lady Kestrel - 18 July 2017 01:00 AM

If I had the skill and inclination to create a game, I would go with an open world with either a science fiction or fantasy theme and would make it first person.  Since the main character would be me, I’d like to have a sense of humor but also an underlying morality and compassion, like Jake Stonebender in Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon.  I’m not too fussy about graphics, but since I enjoy exploring all the nooks and crannies of a world, I’d either choose 3D or pre-rendered backgrounds with nodes that would allow me to look around.  I would also try to vary my puzzles and make them a part of the story.

Thanks for the response, Kes!  It looks like this topic has gone down about as well as I feared. Grin

I assume most of us would need at least one other member of the team to make our skill-sets remotely complete.

I foolishly thought about creating a game in the last few years until I realised just how many different talents one has to have just on the creative side before you even get into coding and art/animation. Creative writing and puzzle design alone would take years to hone.

I’m sure my game would be dark, present day/near future, dystopian or at least very cynical.  I considered the idea of some sort of cult with undertones of abuse (but wondered if that was too dark for a game!)  The protagonist’s character would likely match the darkness of the game, and a rich, Jensen-style mythology/history to set the tone.

The graphics are pretty unimportant to me, but I’d probably settle for something in 2.5D made with Unity.  Really anything from AGS or better as long as it’s third-person.

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Well, if you do take the plunge, the very first question that comes up is:

“Alright, out of the infinite number of games I could make, what’s mine?”.

The answer is a two-parter (well, at least in my case). You need to go into a Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde-type situation.

First, you need to tune into your inner wild-eyed kid, and go “Okay, what do I love? What will be the lego bricks to build this game thing out of”?

In my case, they were classic Lucas Arts adventures, the Cthulhu Mythos, and cats. Sure, several others, but - as wildly different as they seem to be - this was my pitch to myself. These things are awesome on their own, must find a way to make them awesome while also fitting together.

This is the part where you turn into a creative and responsible adult, build a cohesive story around them, elaborate on the plot, start adding characters and locations, start planning and budgeting…

And from then on it’s a constant balancing act of both pleasing you inner kid who wants “More of this! And more of that!”

”...And wouldn’t it be awesome if we had a kitty that barks?”
”...And let’s animate everything frame by frame, and paint toooons of detail into every scene!”

...and the adult going:

“This will take x hours to produce, so we’re not doing that. How’s our budget doing? Are we hitting our milestones?”...

Et caetera.

I think the conclusion is that, as long as you can please both these inner roommates, chances are your game will be fun, feel honest and authentic, and somehow, hopefully, actually happen Smile Hope I made at least some sense Grin

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Cheers for the reply, Mr Underhill.  I particularly enjoyed this:

In my case, they were classic Lucas Arts adventures, the Cthulhu Mythos, and cats. Sure, several others, but - as wildly different as they seem to be - this was my pitch to myself. These things are awesome on their own, must find a way to make them awesome while also fitting together.

Grin

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

My game would be a Groundhog Day-like adaptation.
Third person, direct control, realistic graphics, set in New Years Eve 98/99 in a smallish town like the movie. Main character a jerk journalist.
No fantasy, scifi, etc. Only premise was the character repeating the same day over and over until getting it right. Player awkes up every morning to Party likes it’s 99.
Main feature would be open world maximum possible freedom to do whatever the player wanted (like the movie), mostly a playground.
And the town would react accordingly until the end of the day and then just reset.
Objective would be trying the have the perfect day (like the movie…) but that would be secondary to all the exploration of possibilities.
Any action the player took that wanted repeated could be saved and put in a slot at the beginning of the day to avoid repetition. Player would have to figure out correct actions, learn skills, date, spy, kill, etc, etc.

Kickstarter starts next month - main goal 1000000$ , stretch goals include upgrade to UE4, more characters to interact.
Early access in 2020 with full release 2022, trust me, give me all the money Tongue

In reality I don’t have ambition or skills in gaming but I do want an open world adventure game.

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

Mr. Underhill, I joined the kickstarter for your game and I am so happy that I did. Reading what you wrote…. “I think the conclusion is that, as long as you can please both these inner roommates, chances are your game will be fun, feel honest and authentic, and somehow, hopefully, actually happen Smile Hope I made at least some sense.”  Well, that is how I would like to make a game. I can’t wait until your game is out!

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

With my current budget and skills, my adventure would probably look like this:

and I’d like it if it could look like this:

see the problem? Grin

I always thought it would be cool to do a “real-life sim” game - you do stuff that you would do normally in a real life - sleep, eat, go to school/work, drive a car, go shopping… but now that I got older I realize that would be the most boring game ever. So instead, I’d like to make a game with an epic story in which a young boy enlists the help of an old dragon who guides him to a land of pirates where he will meet a young lady, who’s also a reporter, and then they’ll screw the plans of a secret society… which will also focus on multiple solutions for the same puzzles along the game: It would be a game specifically suited for a bunch of friends, or two or more people tackling the game together, because different people have different ideas when it comes to puzzles, and more chances that one of them will reach the solution. In that way, you would be able to make your way through the gameworld by solving not only puzzles in different way, but also solving entirely different puzzles to someone else/skipping a puzzle altogether. (in the end, the dragon dies, but shhh… you haven’t heard it from me).

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

wilco - 18 July 2017 10:34 AM

My game would be a Groundhog Day-like adaptation.
Third person, direct control, realistic graphics, set in New Years Eve 98/99 in a smallish town like the movie. Main character a jerk journalist.
No fantasy, scifi, etc. Only premise was the character repeating the same day over and over until getting it right. Player awkes up every morning to Party likes it’s 99.
Main feature would be open world maximum possible freedom to do whatever the player wanted (like the movie), mostly a playground.
And the town would react accordingly until the end of the day and then just reset.
Objective would be trying the have the perfect day (like the movie…) but that would be secondary to all the exploration of possibilities.
Any action the player took that wanted repeated could be saved and put in a slot at the beginning of the day to avoid repetition. Player would have to figure out correct actions, learn skills, date, spy, kill, etc, etc.

Kickstarter starts next month - main goal 1000000$ , stretch goals include upgrade to UE4, more characters to interact.
Early access in 2020 with full release 2022, trust me, give me all the money Tongue

In reality I don’t have ambition or skills in gaming but I do want an open world adventure game.

Sounds awesome; I’m in for $100k.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Nice idea, Wilco!  I’d play that one for sure. Smile

Yes, it does seem a delicate balance is needed.  If you’re a one person show, the game will either take longer to create or be shorter than you might want.  If you have a team, it might go faster but then other personalities and ideas must be weighed, and assuming you make a profit, the money must be split. 

My strong suit in creating a game would be in writing, puzzle design, and maybe some voice work.  However, since I know zilch about coding, I’d have to have someone to do the programing.  I have some skill in art, but not enough to create the worlds I would want, so an artist with a good eye would be needed. 

It’s a daunting task, and then it has to be presented to an often fickle community who are ready to jump on the flaws.  Meh

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

diego - 18 July 2017 01:18 PM

Now I really want to play this game.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I would play your game, too, Diego!  I assume you would use the ladder to climb the tree, but you really don’t need it since you’re a giant or it’s a very small tree.  Grin

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Lady Kestrel - 18 July 2017 01:33 PM

I would play your game, too, Diego!  I assume you would use the ladder to climb the tree, but you really don’t need it since you’re a giant or it’s a very small tree.  Grin

Err… sure, I forgot to mention that the young is a “giant” in this new world he found himself in. (perception and object size would be another problem, I see Foot in mouth  ). Wink

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

mbday630 - 18 July 2017 01:17 PM

Mr. Underhill, I joined the kickstarter for your game and I am so happy that I did. Reading what you wrote…. “I think the conclusion is that, as long as you can please both these inner roommates, chances are your game will be fun, feel honest and authentic, and somehow, hopefully, actually happen Smile Hope I made at least some sense.”  Well, that is how I would like to make a game. I can’t wait until your game is out!

You made our game come true, who’s to say you won’t make yours at some point? Thanks for the reply and support Smile

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

diego - 18 July 2017 01:42 PM

Err… sure, I forgot to mention that the young is a “giant” in this new world he found himself in. (perception and object size would be another problem, I see Foot in mouth  ). Wink

Yes, but I did recognize the ladder. Grin

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Lady Kestrel - 18 July 2017 01:45 PM
diego - 18 July 2017 01:42 PM

Yes, but I did recognize the ladder. Grin

I’m delighted that you did - I thought I made it look more like a sled or something - but NO WAY you’re gonna decipher the first object in the inventory! (hint: it’s not a snake)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top