• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

is it about time to kiss Daedalic adventure scene goodbye?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

-Devil’s Men seems like its never gonna be released.
-Doomsday was only to squeeze some money outta the series fame.
-Pillars of Earth is an Interactive/Visual Movie, State of Mind would be is the same.
-Silence wasn’t of the one adventures we kew from Daedalic.
-Also there is another title beside their other non-adventuring directions of blackguards and shit is a Walking Simulation but i ve forgotten what was its title.
-Even the artwork and characters animation at The Pillars of Earth have changed from Daedalic’s and its is too ttg style.
-Nevertheless its an episodic adventure game now and its their first’s of this original ttg experience.

Final word; the best thing that have had happened to the genre at the 10 years; was Daedalic, and now it has lost to ttg .

welcome to the official ttg era, whether you like it, hate it or not.

i just want to know and be clear because i hate to grasp on hopes that aren’t there in the first or 2nd place.

P.S: why another thread about Daedalic, because when i made that original one, i had made it to praise them/it, but this is sumthing completely different.  Shifty Eyed

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Pillars of the Earth gameplay seems traditional point and click, although too litle to see if it has typical puzzles

But it’s too bad about Devil’s Men, does seem like it’s never coming out.
I think they still publish lots of adventures at least but with the new website it’s difficult to see anyhing

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

did you see the trailer, it has the word Visual/interactive Novel written at the end of it Wilco.

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

You could just read our E3 coverage and learn all about Pillars. Wink

I wouldn’t write off Devil’s Men just yet, but clearly Daedalic needs some other funding to keep games like that afloat.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Advie - 13 July 2017 11:45 AM

did you see the trailer, it has the word Visual/interactive Novel written at the end of it Wilco.

Jackal - 13 July 2017 12:09 PM

My bad, it has no puzzles.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

My guess Advie is that the traditional point and click puzzle adventure games are not making enough money for Daedalic. It seems like after the high of the kickstarter boom, there has been some decline in sales for traditional AG’s. The AG hope again rests with the indie scene that produces games like Paradigm or The Wardrobe.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i read it, thanks Jack.

but i have an urgent advice for you and adventuregamers(dot)com, Jack, you guys might need to give in too to ttg.

i know you been very loyal, resistance and strong against anything the could change the adventure gaming as we all know/knew it for the past 40 years or so, or the least trying sticking to the old times since the word advent was first introduced, and against anything that would tatter with foundation’s definition this site was built on and made upon.

but what can i say, maybe giving in now better than giving up somehow later.

and i m sure you understand me Jack and i know you know how hurting it’s for me to be the ONE saying what say or said now.

cheers

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

I take issue with the claim that doomsday was just a money grab. Its the longest game in the series with some of the best puzzle content in the series with a story thats both entertaining and poetic. There is absolutely nothing cheap about it. Its true that theyr moving in another direction with most of their games. But doomsday proved they can still go back to their old magic any time they want. To claim that game was just squeezing money out of the franchise, sounds like youre squeezing for reasons to cast their recent releases negatively.

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Advie - 13 July 2017 08:51 PM

i read it, thanks Jack.

but i have an urgent advice for you and adventuregamers(dot)com, Jack, you guys might need to give in too to ttg.

i know you been very loyal, resistance and strong against anything the could change the adventure gaming as we all know/knew it for the past 40 years or so, or the least trying sticking to the old times since the word advent was first introduced, and against anything that would tatter with foundation’s definition this site was built on and made upon.

but what can i say, maybe giving in now better than giving up somehow later.

and i m sure you understand me Jack and i know you know how hurting it’s for me to be the ONE saying what say or said now.

cheers

Better dead than TTGéd.

Total Posts: 260

Joined 2014-12-25

PM

Daedalic has been swallowed by the German publisher Bastei Lübbe, which usually publishes books, not games. That may be a reason for all those changes. I’m not willing to say goodbye to Daedalic yet, but we should get used to the thought that we’ll have to sooner or later.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

If upcoming TTGed games will be more hit financially than old PnC games then yes you can kiss the old model from them goodbye
Lets see how upcoming games perform

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

No, Advie, I really have no clue what you’re talking about. Give in to what?

Since the start of 2016, this has literally been an unprecedented time for new adventure and adventure-type releases, in ALL shapes and sizes. Some of them are TTG-like, but most are not. I guarantee that anyone who complains about there being “too many X-type games” (fill in the blanks with all the usual suspects: casual, retro, puzzle-lite, Myst-style, whatever) is not playing all the games available that DO fit their own criteria.

In any case, as with all things, trends come and go. If not, we’d all still be playing FMV games. The genre will continue to grow and expand, encompassing new play styles, without ever abandoning the traditional formats. There is more than enough room for Telltale AND puzzle-filled point-and-clicks AND puzzle-platformers AND exploration games, and so on. And, apparently, there are more than enough developers making them all, because the games just keep coming.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i meant giving in to ttg games being included as adventures in the site..

but if thats the spirit Jack then Kudos, my bad, especially me and my word which were coming from the one who hated ttg the most and asking their games to be included, but somehow Daedalic transition is sad(ing) me and i cant get over it (now at least).

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Well, we already treat their games as adventures in every respect but scoring our reviews. So not much would change, even if we did.

Visual novels have been around long before Telltale and weren’t really all that popular (outside of Japan, at least), so I don’t expect this current craze to continue forever. Eventually the pendulum will swing again, and people will start asking for a bit more gameplay substance. (It’s probably already begun; look at the success and hype for Life Is Strange, and diminishing returns for new Telltale series.)

Telltale is one of the few companies with a big enough budget and expertise to pull it off with the cinematic flair such games deserve, so they’re not going away any time soon. I’m interested to see how Daedalic handles it, because it’s a much different animal than the types of games they’ve been making all along. Overall, though, I suspect that these choice-driven story games will largely return to the domain of small indies within the next couple years.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Jackal - 14 July 2017 12:30 PM

Well, we already treat their games as adventures in every respect but scoring our reviews. So not much would change, even if we did.

Hi Jackal, I am wondering why you don’t give Telltale games a score when you did with the old games (like The Wolf Among Us). I am sure there is a reason for the change and you must have stated it down the line, but I missed it and couldn’t find it anywhere.

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Really just because we hadn’t yet fully decided on a policy for games that stripped away puzzles to almost zero. We didn’t really know WHAT to do with them at the time TWAU came out. (Bear in mind there weren’t very many then.) Didn’t seem right to continue treating them as full-fledged adventures, but nor did we want to disregard them entirely. So once we settled on cover-but-don’t-score policy, that seemed a happy medium. But a few games, like TWAU, slipped through the cracks in between.

If I misunderstood and your question was more along the lines of “why did we STOP scoring such games?”, there are basically two reasons. 1) It makes for an easy distinction between games we do and don’t consider adventure gamers proper, and 2) the absence of puzzles makes for a completely uneven playing field. It didn’t seem fair to let games completely off the hook for having NO puzzles—or alternatively, to condemn them all for it. A grade would have to reflect one or the other perspective. Removing the score lets us bypass that problem and focus entirely on a game’s own merits.

Frankly, I think it’s a LOT tougher to integrate puzzles and exploration into a story than simply to tell an interactive story. So, in a way, the presence of a score is meant to be something of a reward for adventures that go all-in, and a punishment for games that “cheat” by leaving all the extra good stuff out. (And hopefully, an enticement to put some back in! Grin)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top