• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

All the Hidden Corners on Kickstarter

Total Posts: 57

Joined 2009-01-02

PM

It does not happen very often that I feel something looks really promising but nobody knows about it, so I have to share it… Two days ago I’ve stumbled upon this game in development, All the Hidden Corners, that is inspired by The Last Express among other games and/but looks incredibly unique… and quite crazy. Has anyone else noticed this game? What do you think about it?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/odplot/all-the-hidden-corners-a-thrilling-new-adventure-g/description

All the Hidden Corners is an adventure game that recalls the spirit of adventure gaming in the 80’s and 90’s, but with modern design conventions. We are inspired by games like The Last Express and the Laura Bow Mysteries that challenged traditional adventure game design.

A dead language

In the late 1970s, a linguistics PhD student is sent into the heart of Russia to investigate rumors that a small village may be home to the speaker of a language long thought extinct.

After a disorienting encounter at a Moscow train station, the student comes into possession of a piece of Soviet technology - a Universal Translator - and accidentally boards an unscheduled train bound for the depths of Siberia.

A host of strange passengers

The train is occupied by 12 other passengers. They do not share a common language, yet there seems to be an unspoken knowledge between them.

By the student’s estimation, the speaker of the dying language is 5 days into Siberia. But will this train reach the right destination? And why is everyone aboard behaving so strangely? The Universal Translator must be used to navigate the weird relationships between the passengers to gain their trust and find out what they know.”

Read more here...

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

I just stumbled upon this project on Kickstarter and backed it immediately. It does indeed look very interesting. I was surprised to see that the game was not already listed here on Adventure Gamers. Adding it to the crowdfunding page would probably help the developers reach their modest goal of $10,000.

Joined 2009-01-02

PM

Pegbiter - 06 July 2017 07:56 AM

I just stumbled upon this project on Kickstarter and backed it immediately. It does indeed look very interesting. I was surprised to see that the game was not already listed here on Adventure Gamers. Adding it to the crowdfunding page would probably help the developers reach their modest goal of $10,000.

You are right, the goal is reasonable. But the coverage online is poor. I think it is always risky to start a campaign with no real base of fans on Facebook, Twitter etc. There are so many projects on Kickstarter that even the greatest ones can be overlooked. Currently 60 backers, 20%, 15 days to go. But I still hope and try to spread the word.

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

I am not certain that the all-or-nothing approach of Kickstarter is best for a game like this. Does the flexible option on Indiegogo attract much fewer backers even when the normal pledged amount is so low? I would like to send something like $25 even if the goal of the campaign is not met. Some funding is better than none, considering that it seems like the project will continue in any case.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Flexible funding is fine if the development is basically done and the crowdfunding is basically just being used as an ordering mechanism. If the project depends on reaching a certain level to be able to deliver, flexible funding represents a much bigger risk.

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

Phlebas - 12 July 2017 12:00 PM

If the project depends on reaching a certain level to be able to deliver, flexible funding represents a much bigger risk.

My point is that I doubt that those $10,000 will fully determine if the game is made or not. I might obviously be wrong though.

Joined 2009-01-02

PM

Pegbiter - 12 July 2017 04:08 PM
Phlebas - 12 July 2017 12:00 PM

If the project depends on reaching a certain level to be able to deliver, flexible funding represents a much bigger risk.

My point is that I doubt that those $10,000 will fully determine if the game is made or not. I might obviously be wrong though.

Odplot productions is a two people studio. If the funding is not successful, I am sure they will continue to work on All the Hidden Corners, but the progress will be slower. As they write on their Kickstarter page: “The initial funding goal is what we need to continue to work on the game full-time, after subtracting all the fees from running the campaign. We are just two people living together in Illinois, so rent is cheap. For targets beyond the initial funding goal, we do not currently plan on providing extra content for the game, and will instead be using the money to give the game’s presentation additional polish.”

There are plenty of more or less insightful articles comparing Kickstarter and Indiegogo (e.g. https://www.merchantmaverick.com/kickstarter-vs-indiegogo/ or https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/lesser-known-differentiators-kickstarter-vs-indiegogo-olenik).

Btw here is a new article about All the Hidden Corners:
http://cliqist.com/2017/07/13/hidden-corners-campaign-gets-bogged-odd-plot/

And one for Deutsch-speaking adventurers:
http://www.adventurecorner.de/news/7022/crowdfunding-roundup-mit-all-the-hidden-corners

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top