• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Theme of the Week 7 - The Art of Disguise

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

For this week’s theme I thought I’d focus on a story element rather than an aspect of game ‘mechanics’ or presentation

Disguise:”To modify the appearance or manner in order to conceal the identity of (oneself, someone, or something)”

In Adventure Games disguises are usually used as a means of, at some point in the story, either to fool others into thinking they (a character) are someone (or something) else, or more commonly to give the impression that they belong in a particular place in order to be able to move around freely. This is usually for the purposes of gleaning information, stealing or performing other tasks in areas they couldn’t otherwise access.

The means of disguise can vary from simply using easily available items and/or clothing to more creative solutions. 

Here are a few examples from games I’ve played - please feel free to add your own!

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I like your topic, Chrissie!

Feeble found a successful disguise.  I think the pink looks lovely with his coloring.

The chameleon suit from JP 3 was probably the ultimate disguise, as long a Gage didn’t try to talk to someone he was imitating.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

Lady Kestrel - 26 June 2017 03:45 PM

I like your topic, Chrissie!

Feeble found a successful disguise.  I think the pink looks lovely with his coloring.

The chameleon suit from JP 3 was probably the ultimate disguise, as long a Gage didn’t try to talk to someone he was imitating.

Very nice topic indeed! I immediately thought of JP 3 even before I read Lady K’s post. Great minds think alike Wink Also the short path in King’s Quest 6 required a little cross dressing as well.

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Sometimes you might even need to disguise yourself as a member of a different species, like Laverne in Day of the Tentacle:

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Phlebas - 27 June 2017 04:35 AM

Sometimes you might even need to disguise yourself as a member of a different species, like Laverne in Day of the Tentacle:

Or, like this guy:

Total Posts: 1666

Joined 2014-02-08

PM

Nice theme, chrissie! At some point this was one of mine quiz ideas. I’ve soon realized there is not that many scenes about that as I’ve though.
Here are just few from a well known games that I can remember now:

Sunny Blonde, Manny Calavera, Adil (Raven), Machinarium, Gabriel Knight (remastered) , Ceville and beautiful Joe(lla) King.

Total Posts: 282

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

As someone who enjoys studying costume history and clothing, I love this theme !

DarkEye - 29 June 2017 06:35 AM

Adil (Raven)

And, for those who have finished the game (spoiler ahead), “Constable” Zellner Grin. Great example that the right costume can fool anyone.

Then of course you have the disguises that are not meant to fool anyone.

Gabe really seems to love a disguise. (image linked from another website - I couldn’t find a better picture in a satisfactory quality, and have no saved games that would allow me to take a screencap).

chrissie - 26 June 2017 04:20 AM

I haven’t played the Filmmaker, but this reminds me of a sequence in The Longest Journey in which you have to cast a suggestive shadow on a wall in order to scare someone. In that case, the “disguise” was only complete with a voice - a nice addition.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thanks all for the replies to my more fun rather than thought-provoking theme!

DarkEye - 29 June 2017 06:35 AM

Nice theme, chrissie! At some point this was one of mine quiz ideas. I’ve soon realized there is not that many scenes about that as I’ve thought.

Yes! It did seem to be that the use of disguises was not uncommon in games I’d actually played but when I delved further even if there had been enough to make a quiz to include at least the wonderful examples submitted by yourself & other posters it certainly wouldn’t have been very challenging I think!!

I very much appreciated these:

Lady Kestrel - 26 June 2017 03:45 PM

Sir Beardalot - 26 June 2017 10:10 PM

Very nice topic indeed! I immediately thought of JP 3 even before I read Lady K’s post. Great minds think alike Wink Also the short path in King’s Quest 6 required a little cross dressing as well.

Phlebas - 27 June 2017 04:35 AM

Sometimes you might even need to disguise yourself as a member of a different species, like Laverne in Day of the Tentacle

I did wonder whether anyone would mention that as I haven’t played DotT (yet!) but I did come across that disguise! 

Thank you also BitingWit for your screenshot from Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade! & also NickyLarson (welcome to Adventure Gamers BTW) for your contributions!
I originally was going to include Gabe’s minstrel costume from GK2 so thanks for posting it - I don’t remember a shadow being cast in TLJ in order to scare but I do remember one in one of the Kheops games but I’m not sure which one though - Destination Treasure Island maybe?????

NickyLarson - 29 June 2017 04:22 PM

........Then of course you have the disguises that are not meant to fool anyone.

Well, along with the ridiculous inventory items that you can supposedly fit into your jacket etc (the idea of which I love!) there needs to be quite a lot of ‘suspension of disbelief’ with quite a few disguises especially this one which I’ve just come across in Anna’s Quest where the bear is disguised as a man!

Total Posts: 282

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Thank you, chrissie! Smile

Ben as man is as convincing as Laverne as a tentacle, indeed Grin

I was refering to this puzzle from TLJ (please feel free to ask me to remove the image if it’s too spoilery, athough it doesn’t really give out the solution):

It’s quite early in the game, before you make your first trip to Arcadia.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

chrissie - 02 July 2017 03:41 PM

Well, along with the ridiculous inventory items that you can supposedly fit into your jacket etc (the idea of which I love!) there needs to be quite a lot of ‘suspension of disbelief’ with quite a few disguises especially this one which I’ve just come across in Anna’s Quest where the bear is disguised as a man!

Well, Anna’s Quest just moved a few places up my ‘to play’ list Smile

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

NickyLarson - 03 July 2017 06:58 AM

I was refering to this puzzle from TLJ (please feel free to ask me to remove the image if it’s too spoilery, athough it doesn’t really give out the solution):

It’s quite early in the game, before you make your first trip to Arcadia.

Thanks NickyLarson, I remember it now! No, I don’t consider the screenshot to be a spoiler as the game is probably amongst the few that actually get you puzzling in order to ‘present’ a disguise! 

Phlebas - 03 July 2017 07:09 AM
chrissie - 02 July 2017 03:41 PM

Well, Anna’s Quest just moved a few places up my ‘to play’ list Smile

It does make me wonder what the most unbelievable disguises are??? Laughing

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

for sure we can not forget those under very critical situation had to take some other roles than who they are, from a towel dressing , to cross lady appearance and for being as rich gambler.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top