• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Theme Of The Week 6 – Non-Linearity: To wee, or not to wee?

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Great read, Intense! To me, “non-linearity” term always reminded me of a “freedom” that I’ve experienced in, let’s say Monkey Island 2 - a freedom to explore and visit islands at your will right after the beginning, to enter many shops and buildings at your own leisure, to talk to people and solve puzzles in a seemingly random way. I’m aware of the inaccuracy of that description when it comes to “non-linear”, but I always cared more for “open world”, or even better “open gameplay” than multiple endings, for example, though I have nothing against it. I would like to see more game implementing multiple solutions to puzzles and missing puzzles entirely for the sake of other puzzles though, if that was the path you chose. Think Return to Mysterious Island on steroids. That’s the road I think developers are still further to investigate - I adore to sit with my friend or friends, and tackle an adventure game which is all new to us, bringing our own ideas for puzzles (like a brainstorming - who says adventure games are not suited for a multiplayer?! Grin ), and having multiple solutions will hopefully make adventure games even more suited for such occasion.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

I don’t get the thread title - to wee or not to wee? Am I missing something?

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

BitingWit - 22 June 2017 06:11 AM

I think it was a snipe at Heavy Rain.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

BitingWit - 22 June 2017 06:11 AM

Heavy Rain has all the important decisions

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Phlebas - 22 June 2017 06:49 AM

I think it was a snipe at Heavy Rain.

Basically yeah. Just intended as a light hearted jab at a game I enjoyed and as a flippantly made point that more choice/options isn’t always a better thing, and particularly given the position I had taken in the post.

To be honest the thread was originally going to be titled “Non-Linearity and Player Choice” but then the silly last paragraph of the original post made me smile so I changed it while posting it!

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top