• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Life is Strange: Before the Storm

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Mikekelly - 08 February 2018 10:31 PM

I am still getting this game, I know the reviews for this game are mixed, I’ll just wait and buy a used copy - that way if it sucks I can return it for a refund.

Heart

You’re mikekelly. 100 bucks says that in a few weeks you’ll be swooning over the game and posting the biggest, reddest love heart the forum has ever seen.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I try to buy games I will like. Funny that. It has not always worked out. I once bought a used copy of a game that won the Aggie for adventure game of the year and hated it.

I took it back for a refund big time. I also bought the PC Gamer adventure game of the year once and though it sucked too - so now I don’t buy a game just because it wins all the awards.

I know what I like and I read reviews for that. This game is risky, but it looks great and I did like the first one.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Bonus final episode “Farewell” is out now.

I’m surprised about the lack of fanfare for this game. The time travel mechanics in the first game were cool but were only a small part of the game, and the writing and characters are still strong. If you liked the original there’s no reason not to play it.

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Eh, Before The Storm was not good at all imo. I understand why there’s relatively little hype for this game. Check out YouTube right now there’s like 30 different think pieces all giving their take on what went wrong. The consensus among fans is pretty bad and I have to agree.

The relationship between Chloe & Rachel is super forced and rushed. They do like 3 things together, none of which are very interesting, and they’re instantly in love.  Yeah, sometimes romance can progress fast. But It certainly didn’t make for an interesting story or endear me to them as a couple. Overall their dynamic is fair less interesting than Chloe & Max.

Before The Storm paired down the exploration and puzzle solving to near Telltale levels of mind numbing simplicity. LiS 1 wasn’t a difficult game, but It actually had memorable game-play moments. The Kate Marsh dialogue puzzle, breaking into principal Wells’ office… Hell, even the paint bucket puzzle from episode 1 had more depth than anything on offer in BtS.

Clearly the difficulty in LiS 1 was tuned for a mainstream audience but it wasn’t on auto-pilot. Before The Storm largely is. Its new addition: the “talk-back” mechanic is decent to begin with but almost entirely abandoned by the game’s final episode.

Nothing really happens with the plot itself, too. Many of the interesting avenues there were to walk down regarding Rachel’s history get side-stepped in favor of the incredibly weak, daytime soap opera-esque, missing mom plot. It didn’t grab me in the slightest. Potentially interesting plot-lines, like getting a closer look at Nathan’s grooming by Jefferson or an in depth understanding of Rachel’s romantic relationship with Frank aren’t even considered.

Also what’s up with the end of episode 1 where they flirt with the idea that Rachel has supernatural powers? She controls the wind with her scream and the idea is completely abandoned afterward… wtf?

Not even mentioning all the recycling the game does. How much filler exploration in the Junkyard can this series sustain? Exploration in LiS 1 was relevant to the plot (at least sometimes) and tied into other aspects of gameplay. Again, there’s the example of the Kate Marsh dialog puzzle. Exploring her room gave you the background info you needed to convince her not to jump.

Credit where it’s due: Before The Storm actually manages to avoid a lot of the out-of-touch cringey teen slang that plagued the first game. The dialog itself is a step up in that regard. But it still manages to have what is perhaps the cringiest scene in the entire series. The “stars are liars” scene in Rachel’s bedroom.

BtS bummed me out on multiple levels. Most of all as an adventure game fan who wants the genre to thrive. LiS is the biggest series going right now. The health of this series impacts the health of the entire genre. Hopefully once DontNod takes back the helm with LiS 2 they’ll move things back to the right direction.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Life is Strange - Before the Storm has a 76% approval rating on Metacritc - which is generally favorable reviews. Yes, not everyone liked it, but quite a few who played it did.

I will be buying it and playing it - the overall reviews have been positive enough for me to pick it up.

To me, it is a small mini-series and not part of the main series. The Walkng Dead Michonne is similar.

The site I checked said over 2 million sold, good news they have sold another million copies since that was posted.

Adventure games do have their big hits, and Life is Strange is among them.

I hope Detroit Became Human is another one.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Yeah, DontNod confirmed 3m when they announced LiS 2. Very impressive and well deserved.

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2017-08-08

PM

Life is Strange is on sale now btw over at Humble Bundle.

Beneath the Waves - Mystery Adventure Game

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top