• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceanDaleGabrielJdawg445Veovis

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Good news concerning Blackenrock and Bracken Tor

Total Posts: 262

Joined 2014-12-25

PM

Some member of a German forum has made a trip to Britain to see the real places from The Lost Crown. Guess who was in the same pub as him? Looks like both, Jonathan Boakes and Matt Clark, are going to present their games on the Gamescom in Germany this August. Keep your eyes open, fellow puzzle solvers. We might learn more sooner than we thought. Smile

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

Jonathan has been active on his Facebook for the past couple of months after a long hiatus. This was a comment from him earlier this month.

Jonathan Boakes - TLC2 is still up next from me, this Summer, as it’s been hanging around for too long, and wants to live! Then, after that, I’m hoping Dark Fall will be making an appearance this December.
June 2 at 10:12am

How great would it be for all 3 games to release this year! Of course I’m not getting my hopes up but maybe just maybe this will finally be THE year Smile

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Joined 2014-12-25

PM

According to what thay said to him, this is the year. Just wait for October. Maybe, just maybe it won’t be another broken promise.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Guy walks into a bar, sees Johnathan Boakes. Asks him when The Lost Crown’s coming out.

Boakes says “this year”.

*boom tish!*  Laughing

Total Posts: 67

Joined 2018-01-10

PM

I have just been playing The Lost Crown: Midnight Horror and it has been making wonder whether I really want The Lost Crown 2 to see the light of day.

Clunky mouse movement
Cringing voice acting
Near total lack of direction in puzzle structure
Danvers telling me I need to give food to a drunk guy when I already have 3 food items on me, none of which work for some reason.

I’m wondering whether this kind of 3rd person graphic adventure should stay dead and buried, for its own good.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Grue22 - 20 March 2018 03:35 AM

I have just been playing The Lost Crown: Midnight Horror and it has been making wonder whether I really want The Lost Crown 2 to see the light of day.

Clunky mouse movement
Cringing voice acting
Near total lack of direction in puzzle structure
Danvers telling me I need to give food to a drunk guy when I already have 3 food items on me, none of which work for some reason.

I’m wondering whether this kind of 3rd person graphic adventure should stay dead and buried, for its own good.

Or whether, you know, those might be design issues in a particular game that could have been done better? No need to go all Old Man Murray on us.

Visiting locations from The Lost Crown sounds a worthwhile thing to do!

Total Posts: 175

Joined 2008-09-02

PM

Phlebas - 20 March 2018 06:23 AM

Visiting locations from The Lost Crown sounds a worthwhile thing to do!

Wow, I really want to go to Cornwall myself somewhen. It must be a terrific experience! Smile

Now playing: GreedFall, Control
Recently finished: Telling Lies, The Sinking City

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

I check the discussions at The Last Crown: Blackenrock Steam page here and there, it’s quite entertaining reading through certain posts, humans are funny creatures. Wink

Anyway, someone posted this the other day. Not sure who it is or the source but it’s definitely an interesting read. Here is the link to the page. http://steamcommunity.com/app/291750/discussions/0/1489992713695906184/?ctp=6 It is post #84. I’ll copy/paste the post below as well.

“Hi, work on Darkling Rooms TLC Blackenrock is in full swing. I thought I would share this collated info to help answer a few questions. We had an amazing time showing Nigel’s adventures to press and gamers and are working to finish off the game before release later this year.

The next crown game introduces many new features to the game world, with a blend of Adventure Game and RPG allowing for much non-linear gameplay. The multiple story threads weave together and around each other, expanding the mysterious world of Saxon. With the 60+ story quests, tasks and ghost hunt ‘case files’ affected by the time of day and night; changing weather; turn of the tide; movement of townsfolk and various story progression, players individual gameplay will hopefully be quite varied.

Don’t be scared by the sound of change or RPG elements, as we demonstrated to people, features are introduced slowly through an introductory period, before players are ‘let loose’ to explore and investigate at their own pace, following whichever story they choose first. Blackenrock remains at heart, a narrative driven adventure game.

The core story focuses on the mystery of Blackenrock, but as Nigel tells us, ‘Blackenrock is only the beginning.’ Gamers will find all manner of adventures for Nigel and his friends and fellow ghost hunting companions to investigate. Whilst exploring one thread, players will unlock others quests along the way. Saxton is a hotspot for all kinds of paranormal phenomena.

Working on the Crown games myself is almost a full time event (with the odd adventure, research trip or weekend off) A little time was taken to work on other non-game projects to generate income and ideas - it’s not often the chance to 3D map and uncover Arthur’s castle comes along after all, and computers can’t be powered by good intentions alone.

With many crown themes and narrative ongoing, previous stories resolved and other tales expanding, Blackenrock has evolved into a fabulous and yet daunting project for a 2 man team to work on. We have relied on help and encouragement from friends and family and hope you’ll be enjoying the game as soon as possible. I would love to work on making the games full time, and hope to in the future, but we do have other jobs and projects.

When returning to the Crown games writer/creator Jonathan sat down to not only pen Blackenrock, but to plot out All of the future Crown titles, including Hallowed Isle. His detailed scripts and storylines have resulted in hundreds of hours work and an engrossing production period. Following this, we also decided to record All the returning voice cast members lines, their future twists, turns and fates, all in one go, as cast were available. No small task - spanning years. This does not even count new characters coming or additions along the way.

The game release has not been put back or delayed intentionally, we are simply still working to create the best title we can. I’m informed a technical error suggested a release date on / via Steam which we have never set, or confirmed - that false information was reposted and shared and the publisher had also mentioned about the error - apologies for any confusion but rest assured Blackenrock is coming as fast as possible.

I have tried not to provide Spoilers * for any of the material in any of the Crown games, as I myself am looking forward to the adventures as much as you are, but I have the privilege of piecing it together too.

To echo Nigel, Lucy and Mr Hadden ‘To the future…’

* Jemima did it”

I’d dig more into it, but tired. Anyone else seen this and know who it is or where it was originally posted?

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

So it’s an RPG now. Perfect.

I guess that means that Boakes can achieve his dream of working on the game for the rest of his life…

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I lost all interest in the game when I read about the RPG elements. I don’t like RPGs. Played a few years ago to see if I would change my mind once I’d get really involved. I didn’t and never went back to them.

And isn’t it telling that Mr Boakes starts adding RPG elements after NINE years of development? I agree with Oscar, this one game should keep him busy for the rest of his life.

Sir Beardalot - 22 March 2018 12:35 AM

I’d dig more into it, but tired. Anyone else seen this and know who it is or where it was originally posted?

It was posted at the Gameboomers forum. Boakes has always had this special relationship with Gameboomers. Beats me why. It’s populated by conservative and pious Christians, mainly elderly women, whose greatest joy in life is thanking each other for posting this or that.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2014-12-25

PM

RPG elements can mean a lot. It doesn’t necessarily mean combat, or a character system, though it does when action games have RPG elements. It can also refer to the optional subquests or multiple solutions to tasks, which wouldn’t be a bad thing imho. Especially multiple solutions are something that I’d like to see in classic adventures more often. Don’t give up hope until we know for sure what it means in this case.
As I happen to like RPGs, this doesn’t put me off the game anyway, but I can see others not liking this change of gameplay. And not just because of Karlok’s posting. It’s pretty much what I feel when they mix RPG with platformers, or RTS. *shudders*

However, there have been good hybrids before, like Quest for Glory, or Anachronox. So I’m curious what this one will be like. If I ever live to see its release, that is.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top