• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Theme Of The Week #5- Blade Runner

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

i had this huge physical edition , regret selling it

Best prerendered backgrounds ever along with REmake/0, FearEffect
Though characters were far too pixelated for higher resolution

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

nomadsoul - 12 June 2017 03:54 PM

i had this huge physical edition , regret selling it

Best prerendered backgrounds ever along with REmake/0, FearEffect

Snatcher the love of your life is apparent.. I thought you will give it a comment or sumthing:D

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

nomadsoul - 12 June 2017 03:54 PM

The characters in BR are actually made with voxels, so technically they’re 3D, just low resolution.

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

I’m a huge sci-fi fan, cyberpunk fan, post apocalypse fan, and Harrison Ford fan. Yet oddly enough I’ve never seen the movie nor played the game. I think it’s high time I do something about that, especially since there is a sequel coming out in October Smile

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

I am not interested in the Blade Runner game in the same way Advie is not interested in playing Her Story or Contradiction. I doubt I will ever play it.

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

You guys are missing out on one of the best adventure games ever made if you have no interest in ever playing it.
Also the movie is one of my all time favourites so go watch it sir beard. Watch the movie first actually. Lots of references to the movie in the game as the game takes place at exactly the same time.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

giom - 11 June 2017 11:53 PM

For skycrapers, neon light and multiple pathways everywhere, I’d argue Hong Kong and Tokyo is a bigger influence than Blade Runner… Hong Kong being the grimier version and the closest equivalent to Dreamfall’s Europolis. In the 80s and 90s, this was even more true with the dystopian Kowloon Walled City and before the clean up of the Chungking Mansions (seen in Chungking Express, a great movie by the way)...

Two of my favourite movies mentioned in a single paragraph!

I loved the game too - I remember being shocked that it needed a massive 100MB of disk space! It really had the feel of the film, and the uncertainty over who would turn out to be a replicant on any given playthrough really brought the theme across. I couldn’t get the hang of the VK test sequences though, they seemed too random.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Phlebas - 13 June 2017 04:28 AM

I couldn’t get the hang of the VK test sequences though, they seemed too random.

i once had finished it without getting a chance to encounter the Voight-Kampff at all!, it does not affect the game by any chance too, more like an extra appearance it is .

For skycrapers, neon light and multiple pathways everywhere, I’d argue Hong Kong and Tokyo is a bigger influence than Blade Runner…

so if those Tokyo&HangKong;‘s were the real inspiration for Dreamfall
maybe they were also an inspiration for R.Scott original 1982 picture?
humor me giom, i know i might have asked a wrong question? Laughing

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Advie - 13 June 2017 07:52 AM

For skycrapers, neon light and multiple pathways everywhere, I’d argue Hong Kong and Tokyo is a bigger influence than Blade Runner…

Oh, for sure, especially Hong Kong. Fritz Lang’s Metropolis was a definite influence/inspiration too.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Phlebas - 13 June 2017 04:28 AM

For skycrapers, neon light and multiple pathways everywhere, I’d argue Hong Kong and Tokyo is a bigger influence than Blade Runner… Hong Kong being the grimier version and the closest equivalent to Dreamfall’s Europolis. In the 80s and 90s, this was even more true with the dystopian Kowloon Walled City and before the clean up of the Chungking Mansions (seen in Chungking Express, a great movie by the way)...

Two of my favourite movies mentioned in a single paragraph!

We have similar tastes in movies then Smile Any good movie you recommend?

Advie - 13 June 2017 07:52 AM

humor me giom, i know i might have asked a wrong question? Laughing

Yes, I’ve been reading up and apparently HK was an inspiration for Ridley Scott. He even wanted to film part of it in Hong Kong but it was too expensive Smile

Hong Kong is a city to visit once in your life. It’s a city that I have difficulties describing in positive terms but that I still love anyway.

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

Damn, I never finished the game back when I was playing it. I remember I got a bug, and stopped playing it after that. But I loved every minute of what I played. I adore games which focus on cinematic atmosphere (thumbs up for The Last Night).

I remember people saying that the game gets closer to the original novel by Philip K. Dick. I’ve read the book and I consider its themes far more intriguing and diverse than those in Ridley Scott’s Blade Runner (I adore the movie, but my love goes for its atmosphere and cinematography. The story went a little bit Hollywood for my taste).

Anyways, I dig everything even remotely connected to Blade Runner.

Here’s a really nice isometric game tribute to Blade Runner made by The Brotherhood (STASIS).

Total Posts: 5594

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

giom - 13 June 2017 09:48 AM

Hong Kong is a city to visit once in your life. It’s a city that I have difficulties describing in positive terms but that I still love anyway.

My late husband went to Hong Kong when he was on leave from the army years ago, and he said basically the same thing.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

thanks, Phlebas & giom for the explanation, and maybe one day i will have the privilege to visit any of those cities, at this life i mean Smile

badlemon - 13 June 2017 11:10 AM

Here’s a really nice isometric game tribute to Blade Runner made by The Brotherhood (STASIS).

Wow!!, thanks for the link, never knew that this existed, and by the devs of my beloved Stasis! ten-fingers-thumbs-up hand for the Brotherhood Bischoff guys

I remember people saying that the game gets closer to the original novel by Philip K. Dick.

that is not quite true, at the Do Androids.. novel the story does not concern Deckard as the main (anti) hero alone, and as how the movie/game had pulled all the story’ strings around his neck, but, J.F.Sebastian, has a role that is quite equivalent to Deckard’s, and neither the game nor the movie has been even close* to representing his role as another parallel story/role

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

Advie - 13 June 2017 12:05 PM

thanks, Phlebas & giom for the explanation, and maybe one day i will have the privilege to visit any of those cities, at this life i mean Smile

badlemon - 13 June 2017 11:10 AM

that is not quite true, at the Do Androids.. novel the story does not concern Deckard as the main (anti) hero alone, and as how the movie had pulled all the story strings around his neck, but J.F.Sebastian has a role that is quite equivalent to Deckard’s, and neither the game or the movie has been even close* to representing his role as another parallel story/role

You mean Philip Dick’s Deckard, right? I was referring to the overall themes that the novel implies, not so much into the depiction of the characters in the movie. (like the vague line between right or wrong. and the godlike task of choosing and judging this right and wrong. after how many implants do you stop considering someone as a human being. even just the name of the novel brings up these controversial topics). Except for a few lines (like Roy’s emblematic ending speech) Blade Runner was mostly “humans are good. androids are bad. let’s shoot em up”. As for the game, I cannot say as I never finished it, but i’m guessing (hoping) the whole human/android issue goes a little deeper than that.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

badlemon - 13 June 2017 12:36 PM

Except for a few lines (like Roy’s emblematic ending speech) Blade Runner was mostly “humans are good. androids are bad. let’s shoot em up”. As for the game, I cannot say as I never finished it, but i’m guessing (hoping) the whole human/android issue goes a little deeper than that.

Not really. In fact it’s probably even shallower - the open endedness pretty much strips the plot of any meaning.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top