• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

in favor of dying in games

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

SoccerDude28 - 09 June 2017 03:14 PM

Is there a history about this I don’t know about?

Yes, long history will PM you Smile

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

I have to agree with Crabapple. i play games to just relax and if I die - and haven’t saved for an hour - I get really ticked off.  At least with the latest Sierra games, they had a ‘try again’ and that helped. There is nothing worse than having to replay a bunch of stuff that you did already.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Permadeath creates tension. Adventure game death is maybe interesting/funny the first time around, but after that it’s just a hassle of having to reload / replay up to that part again. No real dramatic effect.

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I’m with crab and mbday.  I’m looking to wind down for the day when I play an adventure game.  The less tension the better. Smile

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2007-12-03

PM

It really depends on the game. I recently played the first King’s Quest. Graham was dead after five minutes and died a number of deaths throughout the four or five hours it took me to finish the game. But I knew in advance that death was around every corner - and it was fun Smile Most deaths can be avoided by simply running away quickly, others cannot - there’s a river in which Graham will drown every time simply because the current is way too strong for him to swim.

If death fits the story or the situation the character is in - fine. It makes perfect sense that George is killed in the first Broken Sword when he is stupid enough to walk into the Templars’ assembly after listening in on their conversation. It makes sense for Gabriel Knight to die when being attacked by a mummy or a werewolf. But I hate it when deaths are thrown in just to make the game longer or to frustrate the player. One reason why I never finished the second Dracula adventure was the fact that you could die during the first 15 minutes of the game because monsters attacked, you had only a limited time to react and had to find out by trying which way worked in defeating them (spoilers: they cannot be defeated, you have to escape). Time limits that dangle above the player’s head are really annoying because they put a lot of stress and pressure on the player and takes the fun out of gaming. At least with adventures. I found it’s different with action adventures and RPGs although some deaths can be really frustrating in those genres too.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top