• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

have the kickstarters phenomena done good to the genre?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i can bring a great number of threads jumping of joy back then, right?

my two cents that many legendary developers went out with people digging shit from their long remembered adventures, not to mention that all the jumping and shouting of the genre being back on top had gone with each of the crowd having a sore throat or a huge disappointment.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

I loved Contradiction alot
Obduction wasnt bad either
KZ0 was like BEST AG…they can blow minds in final episode
Stasis and upcoming Desolation = Solid
Thimbleweed delivered
DreamfallChapters was hit and miss
BrokenAge revived and helped all KS games and AG alike
KS ended JJ’ career and Tim’s motivation to make another AG
Atleast Ragnar still ontrack to make walking sim

So it delivered , Yes

Some new outfits like one making St Christopherslockdown , no less than Con work now having delayed again and again,  and looking like a school project at best(pun intended)...but such stories of cash grab and vanish are not common atleast

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i agree with the titles but this can benefit their devs than the genre, on a larger scale do those nice ‘successful’ KS campaigns done good for the genre, that is the q, did they make the genre more popular, did they feed the adventurers thirst..etc

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Yeah most definitely. You had legends like Tim Schafer, Ron Gilbert, and others making new adventure games after a long hiatus, and they were pretty good. Then you have long time beloved franchises like Tex Murphy or Broken Sword coming back.
Not to forget new comers Kelvin and the Infamous Machine, The Journey Down, or Kentucky Route Zero and many others.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Advie - 01 June 2017 11:40 AM

i agree with the titles but this can benefit their devs than the genre, on a larger scale do those nice ‘successful’ KS campaigns done good for the genre, that is the q, did they make the genre more popular, did they feed the adventurers thirst..etc

Thirst yes, helping genre depends how you define it, even 5 titles from KS is good thing…but since the model is now set, many other indies used it to fund and fund in future
But i wonder how much PnC is helped though
I dont think PnC has long legs , walking sim will sell more but still overall genre is back, better than bleak past

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Advie - 01 June 2017 11:04 AM

have the kickstarters phenomena done good to the genre?

Some good some bad advie,like life you win some than loose some.But i think you have to analyze this on two different levels ,first if you accept the real target audience are newcomers and they’ve so much to discover anyway.Then what a bonafide agamer and connoisseur like you,can expect to find beyond hd visuals and nostalgia trips,while genre level ever diminishing and lacking in substance on content writing ?

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

It did good to me Smile At least I got a blast from Broken Sword 5, Tex Murphy 6, Quern and Dropsy, as well as Stasis, Obduction, Goetia and Thimbleweed Park (to a less extent). I even liked Armikrog or the Jensen’s game, although it should’ve been Gabriel Knight 4 instead, made by a different crew, with a higher budget… Never cared for BrokenAge, Dreamfall or Kentucky Route, but many loved them as well. And the joy of watching old timers working again, with all the hype, nostalgic interviews, inside videos - all worth it. Just because some devs can’t manage their projects doesn’t mean it harms the genre, it harms only them. On the contrary, if not for KS, we would’ve been left with endless QTE “adventure games” by now. No thanks.

P.S. My original dream was that they would kickstart a new LucasArts, or a new Sierra, or a new SierrArts, with all the devs of the past glory (including artists, programmers and managers) uniting under one roof and working together, but it’s utopia. Modern industry is too spoiled for that.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I think it was great for already adventure fans with lots of stuff to be excited about. Result was sometimes disappointing but stil lots of good stuff.

For new fans I’m not so sure, although stuff like Broken Age attracted a lot of attention and we might have not been able to see the Lucasarts remakes without it

Too bad it seems to be over,  and it’s mostly stalled now, except for a few that have proven themselves, but it showed there’s an audience for them so small publishers like Devolver Digital might be more supportive.

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I think in the adventure game genre there have been more hits than misses. I really liked broken sword 5, Contradiction, and book of unwritten tales. Then there are games like the new gibbous game coming up which looks fantastic to me.

When you zoom out to other genres there are a lot more misses and uncertainty. For instance I donated money to star citizen many moons ago and I dont think that game might ever truly come out. that game is being made by chris roberts aka the dev behind the wing commander series of games, and he has a long history of not delivering on any time table. As much as most gamers hate publishers and companies like EA, Ubisoft, and Konami; some devs need that push or they will literally never release a game, bc there will always be a new standard in the industry that they will want to reach and just keep going. Like broken age raised a lot of money but of course Tim went way over the top and kept adding more stuff to the game and not keeping an eye on the bottom line. Same with Chris Roberts and star citizen, they game basically started out using the cryengine and now they have basically torn the engine apart and rebuilt most of it.

So to me like most things it is a mixed bag and folks should research before donating their hard earned money.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

all are happy with a bunch of titles it seems, well (as said) its all over now, this ‘phenomena’ would have no aftershock neither those who had gotten their chance would take advantage of it and carry on.

i will ve to respect all the previous posts with being happy about that experience tho

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’d say the Kickstarter effect hs been pretty much +-0.

When the Kickstarter craze began, it looked for a while that P’n'C adventures could potentially make a new comeback in the sense of that wider audiences would take more interest towards them.

But, in the end, that didn’t truly happen, as after the games were released, the larger audiences were left as ambivalent towards the genre as usual.Those who like the genre still do, but not that many new people cared to join in.

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

I agree that there have been around as many successes as disappointments, but all the good titles were unexpected triumphs - Goetia, KRZ, Contradiction, Hadean Lands, Quern, Obduction. The “big hits” and hyped up games were mostly poor - Duke Grabowski, Her Majesty’s Spiffing, Broken Age, Tesla Effect, Dreamfall.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top