• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #42: Al Emmo and the Lost Dutchman’s Mine

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

rtrooney - 31 May 2017 11:28 AM

Finished Act 1. It was harder than I remembered it.

I knew the game is pretty “open” (which I already stated in the thread), but like you, I forgot how little hand-holding is involved, probably spoiled by the latest trend - it is true Kevin at the saloon serves as a hint dropper but you really need to explore the world and deduce things by yourself. Fortunately, like Oscar said, I think majority of the puzzles is quite logical, if a bit loony in the best tradition of a humorous point and clicks.

Still, enjoying it as much as I hoped I would.

Ditto!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 5050

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

diego - 31 May 2017 06:38 PM

I think majority of the puzzles is quite logical, if a bit loony in the best tradition of a humorous point and clicks.

In the best tradition of “washing the bone” jokes. Larry would be proud.  Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

rtrooney - 31 May 2017 06:14 PM
mbday630 - 31 May 2017 04:53 PM

I washed the bone in the fountain water.  I wonder if that is a glitch in some of the games?

Don’t know. I’m playing the updated version of the game. I know I have a disk of the original running around here somewhere. I suppose it’s possible that the original planned to use the flask for something, but the puzzle never made it to the final game. If that’s the case, they might have thought the update needed to find a use for the flask, and bone washing was it. No was to tell for sure other than finding the original game, playing it and seeing what happens at the fountain. I might consider that, but only after the playthrough is complete.

I added the spoiler tags to your post so we don’t give away anything to anyone who hasn’t gotten to this part yet.

I was also able to wash the bone in the fountain. It sounds like a bug in your version. As I recall, the flask is used later in the game, so I don’t know why they would have needed to find a use for it in Act 1.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I play the updated version and I’m also able to wash the bone in the fountain. Perhaps there’s a bug where you can’t wash the bone after you filled flask with water?!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Speaking of bones, my favorite epitaph is:

Also, love the alliteration at Koko’s:

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

diego - 31 May 2017 08:21 PM

I play the updated version and I’m also able to wash the bone in the fountain. Perhaps there’s a bug where you can’t wash the bone after you filled flask with water?!

That may be it. Once used, you would assume the flask would disappear from inventory, but it is still there.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Are you sure you tried to wash the right bone?

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve finished Act 1 but unfortunately, even though I like the scoring idea, it doesn’t feature in my antique original disc version of the game!

I knew the game is pretty “open” (which I already stated in the thread), but like you, I forgot how little hand-holding is involved, probably spoiled by the latest trend - it is true Kevin at the saloon serves as a hint dropper but you really need to explore the world and deduce things by yourself. Fortunately, like Oscar said, I think majority of the puzzles is quite logical, if a bit loony in the best tradition of a humorous point and clicks.

Apart from missing the piano ‘key’  I’ve found it a little easier so far than I did on 1st playing it - possibly because I’d vaguely remembered some of the things that I needed to do & yes, I did find the puzzles quite logical after I reacquainted myself with the loony humour! 

I had forgotten about filling the flask with water from the fountain to wash the bone but hey! this time I washed it in the oasis pool with no flask needed!

It was quite refreshing to play again following many games in which objects in the environment are labelled &/or have hotspot highlighters. I’d forgotten how delightful it was to be able to click on just about anything & try anything with some very amusing responses!

Just one bug-bear for me is that Kev who is supposed to be irish actually has a Liverpudlian accent! Artistic licence?

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

chrissie - 02 June 2017 10:32 AM

I’ve finished Act 1 but unfortunately, even though I like the scoring idea, it doesn’t feature in my antique original disc version of the game!

Apart from missing the piano ‘key’  I’ve found it a little easier so far than I did on 1st playing it - possibly because I’d vaguely remembered some of the things that I needed to do & yes, I did find the puzzles quite logical after I reacquainted myself with the loony humour! 

I had forgotten about filling the flask with water from the fountain to wash the bone but hey! this time I washed it in the oasis pool with no flask needed!

It was quite refreshing to play again following many games in which objects in the environment are labelled &/or have hotspot highlighters. I’d forgotten how delightful it was to be able to click on just about anything & try anything with some very amusing responses!

Just one bug-bear for me is that Kev who is supposed to be irish actually has a Liverpudlian accent! Artistic licence?

Good spot on Kev! Does your version not have labelled objects? Mine does, and I’m impressed how there are no ‘empty spaces’ in the environment Thumbs Up

Also impressive how even rocks and cactuses have different descriptions on different screens. That kind of detail and effort really makes a game special!

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

BitingWit - 02 June 2017 11:43 AM

Does your version not have labelled objects?

Nope! So I guess the rest of you are playing the easy version! Naughty  Laughing

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

chrissie - 02 June 2017 01:21 PM
BitingWit - 02 June 2017 11:43 AM

Does your version not have labelled objects?

Nope! So I guess the rest of you are playing the easy version! Naughty  Laughing

Laughing

I’m going to feel bad now if I ever need any hints for this game!

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Are we supposed to start Act 2 automatically? Or do we wait for Diego’s official word?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

rtrooney - 03 June 2017 11:32 AM

Are we supposed to start Act 2 automatically? Or do we wait for Diego’s official word?

I’d be waitin’ for the sheriff, unless yer be wantin’ a noose around yer neck when he gets back from the saloon.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Sorry guys, I was unable to give you greenlight for Act 2 as my phone bugged while I was away, but now - let’s start with Act Two: Enemy Of The Date

Are you man enough to date Rita?! Can you bear the bear?!! One way to find out - finish Act 2 until next Friday, June 9 19:00GMT!! Plenty of times to catch up for everyone who’re still in ACT 1!

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

also, I would like to know if anyone gets the full points at the end of the game. I have played it several times and I think I am always missing like 20 points!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top