• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #42: Al Emmo and the Lost Dutchman’s Mine

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

diego - 18 July 2017 12:47 PM

rtrooney, good advice, though I already have 5 other cats beside “Fatty”...

That is also an excellent plan. We always tried to have two dogs in the house. So, if the unthinkable happened, there would have another to cuddle with. We have not done that since Pistol died, and left Lacey as the sole canine occupant. There was definitely something missing when she had her stroke.

As hard as it is to lose a pet, you have a great fall-back with five fur balls waiting to comfort you.

On another note: I think I have mentioned that Al Emmo has been nominated close to, if not more than a dozen times. Sometimes it ended in last place. And other times it came really close. Each time Diego volunteered to lead the game. (Once or twice I volunteered in Diego’s place until he miraculously appeared at the last minute to take the reins.) Al Emmo finally won. And Diego has done a great job leading the game despite some personal pitfalls.

Thanks, Diego.  Thumbs Up

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

I didn’t play along as I had played it many times, but, I enjoyed everyone’s opinion and Diego did a great job of leading this game.  I wish I weren’t so shy and could participate but, sadly I’m afraid I can’t. Plus, I never figured out how to do those hidden things and I am afraid I would give something away. So, I just enjoy all your community playthroughs from afar.

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Mbday,
If you use the Post Reply button instead of Fast Reply, you’ll see a button that says spoiler above the message box.  Just highlight the text you want to hide, and click the button.  It’s just [ spoiler ] and [ /spoiler ] without the spaces.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

The last game-oriented post took place back in mid-July. I’m still waiting for Diego’s recap. But since there is another playthrough vote that will end in two days, perhaps it’s time to pull the plug on the Al Emmo thread?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

The thread can be unpinned as far as I’m concerned. I still haven’t read all of your spoilers concerning ending (it’s not that I haven’t finished it earlier, but I just wanna replay the ending on my own, I’m certain there’re things I forgot), and once I finish it I’ll comment on it. Thanks again everyone for joining me in this beautiful game.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2012-12-22

PM

Too bad I missed this. Were you able to get in touch with Himalaya?

Story rich DRM-free games for Windows, Mac and linux for direct download - https://fireflowergames.com/. Half the profit goes to projects that benefit the environment and game related projects.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I tried on several occasions, but never received a reply.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-12-22

PM

I haven’t heard from them in a while but I can give it a try.

Story rich DRM-free games for Windows, Mac and linux for direct download - https://fireflowergames.com/. Half the profit goes to projects that benefit the environment and game related projects.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m not sure what good that will do. I invited Himalaya to participate before the playthrough started. Again just after it started. And a third time to get their input on the ending, and what the never-produced sequel might have contained, and how that might have affected the ending. There was no response to any of the overtures, and, obviously, nobody from Himalaya participated in the playthrough.

The thread is drawing to a close, and will likely be unpinned in the near future.

That said, feel free to do what you want, but I would check in with playthrough leader, Diego, to get his imput.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-12-22

PM

I see. Sure, I can check with Diego.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Played through the 8th and 9th Act in one seat. Wonderful last two chapters, though I did miss the narrator in the last, and the way in which the game turned into a frantic, “action” sequence reminds me of Phantasmagoria, or GK2 ending. Again, a Sierra inspiration.

Let’s start with the music - How about that cabin piece of theme? Wonderful! Easily, one of my top tunes in adventures. So relaxing. I also loved every bit of puzzles in the last two chapters (as much as in previous ones), and didn’t need walkthrough, it’s was just a bit frustrating at times because of dying, but at least you continue right where you died. I like the comparison of the skeleton puzzle with the goat in BS, and I think it’s a clever puzzle and a nice change of pace. By the time you get to the Andretto on the elevator, you’re already in the right mood to solve these kind of puzzles. Also, one slider puzzles didn’t hurt anyone.

As for the ending, at first I was sure Al’s “Why not” refers to station master question. After watching the cutscene couple of times more, and seeing how Al is thinking (and he IS slow), it can also refer to Rita’s proposition. What’s important is that Al smiles. Definitely deserving the sequel to put our mind at ease. After all said and done, I’ll repeat that this is of the best, one of the funniest post-golden age adventure game.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top