• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #42: Al Emmo and the Lost Dutchman’s Mine

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Yeehaw!!!

Welcome, my dear single, middle-aged, semi-bald adventurers to Anozira city and what’s more important - to a new community playthrough!! We’ll tackle one of the few western adventures out there - Al Emmo and the Lost Dutchman’s Mine by Himalaya Studios, a typical comedy game where everyone who ever played Sierra adventures (Leisure Suit Larry series specifically) will feel right at home!

Now, a little bit of a history lesson: Lost Dutchman’s Mine is “according to legend, a rich gold mine hidden in the southwestern United States”.  The location is generally believed to be in the Superstition Mountains, near Apache Junction, east of Phoenix, Arizona. The mine is named after German immigrant Jacob Waltz (c. 1810–1891), who purportedly discovered it in the 19th century and kept its location a secret (“Dutchman” was a common American term for a “German” (or “Deutsch”). The Lost Dutchman’s is perhaps the most famous lost mine in American history. Arizona (read that backward) place-name expert Byrd Granger wrote, as of 1977, the Lost Dutchman’s story had been printed or cited at least six times more often than two other fairly well-known tales, the story of Captain Kidd’s lost treasure, and the story of the Lost Pegleg mine in California.
Al Emmo, being a humorous game, is only loosely based on the legend, and the mine is our hero’s “goal” in order to impress the lady and share its riches with his love interest - Rita Peralto. Other than his clumsiness, on the way to her heart will also stand formidable opponent Antonio Bandana, who suspiciously looks like Spanish actor of a similar name.

As far as “western” goes, don’t expect replicas of High Noon/Once Upon a Time in the West scenes (or DO you?!), but the atmosphere is definitely there - from cows (and more importantly - bulls) eating grass lazily in the open field, yellow/light orange mountains, country dirty roads and cacti (you’ll also learn of a irregular plural nouns) to some Native Americans and donke… ehh, horse riding.

Like I said, the game shares many similarities with LSL series - most significantly the similar kind of a “hero”, but also the presence of a gossipy narrator who’ll not only make sure to comment everything and everyone, but also that Al Emmo feels miserable throughout the game. Grin As Al Emmo and the Lost Dutchman’s Mine is a very “open” game in terms of interaction, that in combination makes for a special kind of fun on our progress.
Speaking of which, the game is reasonably long and divided in 9 acts, so we’ll tackle one act at a time. I’ll set the tempo for each act independently, and we’ll start this weekend - I’ll give you two days to get the game and start going - and we’ll settle in Anozira for our first duty on Friday, May 26, at 19:00 GMT.

Tips:

When you click somewhere and Al starts walking there (or double-click and he starts to run) you can press “Escape” button for an instant arrival (or an instant move to the next screen if you clicked on the EXIT sign). Also, you call your inventory with a “TAB” key or a middle-mouse click.

When you hold an inventory item (circled in red), you’ll see a small white circle at the the upper-left corner of an object (circled in blue), and this the spot that you wanna match with an object in the background (or a person) when using items.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I bought the game disc on release so have the version with the original voices - I played it for about 15 mins (at the time) & left it as I couldn’t bear the voices of either Al Emmo or the narrator! I went back at a later date to persist with it to find a very engaging game & eventually loving that little guy with the squeaky voice ..... but not the annoying narrator ........I think you do have the option to ‘switch him off’ but I found him useful.

I’m ready to go!  Smile

diego - 24 May 2017 09:52 AM

Welcome, my dear single, middle-aged, semi-bald adventurers to Anozira city…

Oops! I’ve just realised I don’t fit into all of those categories - just the one so hope that’s okay!  Laughing

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I have contacted Himalaya Studios re: participation. I just made the contact today, once this was posted. So I don’t expect to hear anything for a day or two. Consultant on the game was Josh Mandel. I’ve not been able to contact him yet. But I hope to do so soon.

Edit: Just sent a message to Josh. We will see what happens.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Still haven’t heard from Himalaya. Did hear from Josh. Whatever work he did with Himalaya was unofficial. He said he did meet with Britney Brimhall, and she looked through the FPFP artwork!

Josh did work on Fester Mudd and the Curse of the Gold, Chapter 1, which is probably what I was thinking of.

It would be nice if BB participated in our playthrough, I wouldn’t delay the start based on anticipation of her, or some other Himilaya representative being here.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

chrissie - 24 May 2017 03:59 PM

I bought the game disc on release so have the version with the original voices - I played it for about 15 mins (at the time) & left it as I couldn’t bear the voices of either Al Emmo or the narrator! I went back at a later date to persist with it to find a very engaging game & eventually loving that little guy with the squeaky voice ..... but not the annoying narrator ........I think you do have the option to ‘switch him off’ but I found him useful.

If you bought the original disks, the upgrade to the later version was free. Himalaya supplied a Steam key for a DRM-free version. I would guess that people buying the game today will be buying the updated version.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Tonight we’ll start with the Act 1: Dude, Where’s Your Train?

Our hero arrives in Anozira by train, looking for a bride over mail order. Her name is Ivanna and she’s waiting for you at Kevin’s Saloon.
I’ll give you until next Friday, June 2 19:00 GMT, to finish the first act as there’re plenty of things to do in the introduction. Use this part to get used of the surroundings (draw a map if necessary), meet locals and feel free to put your nose wherever you want!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Has anyone started playing? Chrissie, giom, rtrooney, BitingWit, Oscar??!! Come on, guys!! Anozira awaits you! Crazy

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I will be starting tomorrow. Memorial Day weekend here in the States.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve watched the intro, spent a couple hours exploring & picked up quite a few items but other than that I’ve not really progressed. I’d forgotten how many locations there are & how challenging I’d found the game 1st time around!    Smile

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

diego - 27 May 2017 08:52 AM

Has anyone started playing? Chrissie, giom, rtrooney, BitingWit, Oscar??!! Come on, guys!! Anozira awaits you! Crazy

I’m working on it!

Is the only place to buy the game the official site?

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I’m up and running. For some reason fullscreen doesn’t work (I get only music, nothing else) but it looks fine in a window. Better than I remember actually.

BitingWit - 27 May 2017 04:05 PM

I’m working on it!

Well, there’s Steam. It costs the same but if you use one of those sites which trades Steam keys can get it a lot cheaper.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

BitingWit - 27 May 2017 04:05 PM

I’m working on it!

Bought it from here

http://fireflowergames.com/?s=Al+emmo&post_type=product

DRM free and website is reliable.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I’m a bit late because I’m traveling this week but I’ll play it once I’m in the plane Smile

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

I’ve started playing, great game so far! I’m up to 82 points, having gotten into my room and removed the dog but have kind of lost the trail of what I’m supposed to be doing. Maybe I’ll just keep wandering.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Few scenes from the intro movie:

I think that Al’s voice is very appropriate, similar to Larry’s voice in LSL6/LSL7, almost identical.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

A tip:

When you click somewhere and Al starts walking there (or double-click and he starts to run) you can press “Escape” button for an instant arrival (or an instant move to the next screen if you clicked on the EXIT sign). Also, you call your inventory with a “TAB” key or a middle-mouse click.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top