• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Theme of the Week 2 - Talking about talk

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

GlassRose had great mechanics of highlighting certain words which leads to different flow of conversations and once that illusionary pathway is blocked you have to back to first comment of NPC and start to explore other words and open more line of conversations, and since you cannot progress story without breaking and entering secrets of past, it keeps the player guessing and experimenting

I agree with choices that have one line of different response but usually ends up in same scenario, lots of recent RPGs recently have same problem

However Persona5 wins in this department and them choices also are integral to gameplay not just superficial part of experience

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Sir Beardalot - 25 May 2017 10:40 PM
giom - 25 May 2017 03:48 AM
Intense Degree - 25 May 2017 03:41 AM

I agree that too much dialogue is often a problem, sometimes a massive problem - I’m looking at you TLJ!

Funnily enough, I actually like the amount of dialogue from TLJ. I thought that it was immersive and helped build the world.

The same for me giom. TLJ would not have been the same otherwise. To each there own Smile

Absolutely. Personally I can’t really enjoy it, but I’m pleased that others can! Maybe one day I’ll try again and see if I can get into it properly.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

I love TLJ’s dialogue. Very well written, spoken and voiced. All of it.
Same with Dreamfall and Chapters.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I like it when the dialog itself isn’t just a replica of the dialog choice—there’s more anticipation—but only if the result isn’t too much of a surprise. I remember some dialogs with Tex where I chose a response for a reason (hoping to diffuse the situation, say,) and then Tex came out with something entirely unexpected that only made things worse.

Okay, it made me laugh but it was frustrating too.

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Starship Titanic had an unusual dialogue system, but because it was my first game, I didn’t realize how strange it was.  Like text games, you had to type in the dialogue, and the bots would give useful information if you asked the right questions and if their settings weren’t out of whack.  I did like the fact that the conversation was recorded in the Chat-O-Mat below the screen, which I could scroll through and maybe rephrase a question to get a better response.  Krage, the bellbot (shown above) would rather hang out at the beach and party, but sometimes he was helpful unless asked to carry your luggageSmile

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2017-10-24

PM

(Thanks to Diego for linking me here, from my own thread: https://adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/10176/ (it’s about cool things I’d like to do with dialogue in a game))

I don’t want to get too sucked in to a new forum, but I like this topic, so, here goes:

wilco - 22 May 2017 05:37 PM

For this week the theme I chose is dialogues in adventure games and why is so hard to keep them interesting. Happened in Thimbleweed Park, a game I enjoyed a lot but despite the funny writing, good story and solid voice acting I kept just wanting the dialogues to finish and clicking the line kind of randomly (unless it was a puzzle).

I finally played TWP a couple weeks ago (though only in casual mode, I’ll get back to it soon for adventure mode) and definitely enjoyed, but yeah, it felt like the game was swinging and missing a lot.  I think one part of the problem is that the characters say the exact lines you give them, which means you read a line once, and then you click the line, and then you read and hear the line, and only then do you get to new material.  So it feels like wading through molasses going through the entire conversation.

I just had the thought that in Star Control 2 (not a point-and-click but ok) you choose your line and the other character starts responding immediately, skipping over your line. It works in that game since you don’t ever see the captain’s face so his voice isn’t going to be important either, but it wouldn’t work for a more traditional p-a-c adventure game.

Walking Dead style is the one that most grabs the attention of the player to the dialogue. Choices have a direct on what happens and being timed keeps the flow going fast and fluid.

This was a great system for the game, as it highlighted the dramatic situations.  It wouldn’t fit at all in many other games though.

Notebooks are great, being able to choose a topic and ask about an object or person gives more freedom to the player, even if most of the answers are “I don’t know about that”. Text adventures are like that (in my very limited experience)

Puzzle Agent uses topics too, and I think it works well.  I especially like how options are crossed off after being used, and options that lead to a puzzle are marked with a different bullet point.  Though, uh, I haven’t played whatever game it is you’re showing so I’m not sure how the notebook works in there… in PA it just serves as the box your dialogue options are put in.  I think in the above game you can input clues, and you carry the notebook around to ask other people about the same topics?  I can’t remember the game but I’ve seen a little bit of it.

diego - 22 May 2017 07:14 PM

Broken Sword is still one of the most original and intuitive systems - part of the fun is that you don’t know EXACTLY what George is going to ask, you can only guess it from the topic icon.

I think Sam and Max Hit The Road was the game that invented that system? At least it’s an earlier example of it than the others mentioned in this thread so far.  This system works particularly well for Sam and Max since the game is all about humor, and you don’t want to read the joke before you hear it.

Ok, just one more response:

Kurufinwe - 23 May 2017 04:12 PM

Adventure games talk too much….

I’ve never thought about it this way but you have some decent points.  Overall, any dialogue should have SOME sort of reason for existing, whether it’s exposition/info, characterization, humor, etc.  But yeah I definitely get bored reading text that doesn’t seem to be adding anything to the experience.  Also, conversation puzzles are hard to do, and while I forgive a lot of this kind of stuff it can take me out of the experience to be able to repeat a conversation like that (recent example: the 80’s lingo puzzle with the kid in Thimbleweed Park). I’ve seen it done decently though, I can think of several examples in the Telltale Sam & Max games.

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2017-10-24

PM

Oh, also, a lot of people here were mentioning detective games specifically- there’s some good info on detective interrogation/investigation systems in this video:

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Cheddar Rat - 24 October 2017 08:17 PM
diego - 22 May 2017 07:14 PM

Broken Sword is still one of the most original and intuitive systems - part of the fun is that you don’t know EXACTLY what George is going to ask, you can only guess it from the topic icon.

I think Sam and Max Hit The Road was the game that invented that system? At least it’s an earlier example of it than the others mentioned in this thread so far.  This system works particularly well for Sam and Max since the game is all about humor, and you don’t want to read the joke before you hear it.

Yeah, though clicking on an icon rather than a written text in a dialogue wasn’t entirely new - even Loom, a game pretty much without interactive dialogue had you clicking on an icon representing the surrounding in order to progress in certain conversations:

The reason I mention Broken Sword is because of the comprehensive options, and they even “upgraded” the idea, so you had both conversation and regular inventory icons as a dialogue topic.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top