• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

ASA: A Space Adventure

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Everything is fine. Smile I tried the game and solved the first puzzle. I’m now in the big room with all the doors and I have explored a little. But I’m saving the rest for later, when I have finished the other games I’m working on.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 487

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Of course ! Smile Have fun with your other games too ! (which ones, btw ? Could give some ideas!)

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

See my sig!  Laughing

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Fien - 29 January 2013 06:58 AM

See my sig!  Laughing

lol ok, ok, how could I miss this ? Nerd

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Simon_ASA - 29 January 2013 12:19 PM

lol ok, ok, how could I miss this ? Nerd

A lot of us mention what we’re playing / have played / will play / etc.  there. Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

I see, that’s a good idea. You’re all very busy Wink
I’m sometimes trying to play The longest journey, I never finished it, but I’m having a lot of troubles with the game. I have the old 4-CD version (french by ubisoft) and I finished CD1 but the game doesn’t run CD2… That’s weird and tooooooooooooo bad !!! Just when I was starting to be totally taken in the story.

BTW, I updated the description of ASA on page 1.

Total Posts: 45

Joined 2012-11-27

PM

I’m currently playing this game and I must admit to liking it more than I thought it would. The navigation might be disorienting at times and as a consequence I’m not always sure whether I have seen everything there is to see in a room (to be fair, this is a problem I seem to have with practically every first-person adventure), the perspective is weird at times and the English in the game should have been checked by some native speakers to improve it, but all of that doesn’t really matter, because the puzzles are absolutely great.

I really like the kind of puzzles this game provides up until where I am now (still in the ship and have completed about three of its sections). They are never too obscure and require logic to solve. No brute force or any illogical application of items are required (there are some inventory puzzles involved, but they are fairly easy and are definitely not the focus of the game): it’s all about using your brains and knowing how to apply the hints that have been left throughout the ship. I didn’t really need the memory card though that provided hints on how to decipher the language, as I had it figured out already. It was pretty easy to see that one of the words on the Game Fiction 7 computer was “hello” and the text on the login screens was clearly the same as that on the note hidden behind the server pc and from there it was just a matter of filling in the blanks.

So yeah, the presentation might not be completely up to scratch, but the puzzles more than make up for it, and I couldn’t stop playing just now (it’s 6 a.m over here). I really didn’t expect ASA to be that engrossing.

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Hey Primate Ryan, I am very happy that you like the game despite its problems. I know about the interface issue which makes it sometimes hard to navigate. I also understand why people can feel desoriented in that kind of game. I hope you don’t get lost and will continue to like the adventure until the end.
I feel sorry about the english mistakes in the narratives. Someone has proofed the diary meticoulously but I had to remain on my knowledge to proof myself the in-game sentences (MAID)...

I’m glad that you like the puzzles until now and it’s true that I wanted to make them use your brain, not some lucky discoveries to solve them. Unfortunately, sometimes it will seem very difficult to find the answers if you missed a clue, so it requires to look everywhere and come back on your steps, and it can become painful depending on the way you are used to play. People familiar with the Myst series shouldn’t be disturbed but I don’t know for the others.

Well done with the anterran translation ! You don’t really need to translate it fully to finish the game but I think it’s good for the players to find clues to translate it. It brings something more, it’s like a bonus puzzle (bonus but still helpful).

6.a.m, I’m impressed ! Smile I don’t know if you’ll like the game until the end, but it looks like you had your part of fun with ASA ! Great thing !
Thanks a lot for giving your opinion !

Joined 2012-11-27

PM

I’m still enjoying the puzzles, but I’m hopelessly stuck at the moment, which is rather frustrating as I feel that I need just one more thing to visit Forte. It’s also an item that I need I think, which I feel are the least interesting puzzles of the game, so currently I’m just running around looking for it, but you can only go through the same routine so many times before going crazy.

So I was hoping that somebody could help me, preferably by dropping some subtle hints in separate spoilers.

As for what I’m looking for (this is towards the end of planet Keppler):

I’ve created a rough cube, having performed the heating/cooling process as well as the grind, but now I need to put it in electrified water to finish the teleportation cube. However, I’m unable to do so, which is probably because one of the cables is missing. And that is the item I’m looking for currently. I think I’ve looked through all the houses on Keppler, I thought of pulling a cable out of the broken teleporter, checked whether there was some water in the Greenhouse etc., but all to no avail. I haven’t been able to open the maintenance part of the Ark yet, which might contain relevant stuff. Still, I’m not sure that I need to be there at this point in the game, as most parts of the game were fairly self-contained and their puzzles relied mostly on items from that particular area (as for the private area, my guess is that I might find the key on Forte in the cabin that’s supposed to be there). You would think that it would be quite easy to find a cable and get a current running through a bit of water, but not in this game. Grin Or I might be missing something really trivial, of course.

Total Posts: 299

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

I absolutely loved the music in ASA with the music on Kepler my favorite

Primate you will have to search the cabins some more

Don’t Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful…There Are Many Other Reasons

Joined 2012-11-27

PM

Thanks, Greyfuss!

I managed to find it with that little bit of direction. I didn’t notice that you could look to the right on that particular screen.

Which is kind of my problem with these kinds of games and maybe even adventures as a whole in general. I love logic puzzles and using my brain, but when you get stuck it’s often very hard to know whether you just need to think harder or have just missed a barely visible item or spot and therefore miss a piece of the puzzle. Which is also why I don’t really mind the hotspot finders in recent adventures as they can provide a bit of certainty on that matter (I still only use them when I’m stuck). I personally don’t derive any pleasure from hours of searching for items and it’s mostly despite these “hunts” that I enjoy adventures. I love the eureka moments that only challenging puzzles can provide, but I don’t care much for the item hunt as finding that one, elusive item doesn’t really evoke any positive emotions; it’s more as if you’ve finally completed that boring choire and can now finally get down to business. 

I can continue my journey now, however, and hopefully without any similar problems, as I’m still enjoying ASA immensely.

And the music is indeed pretty decent. I’m not in love with it, but it supports the game and its enviroments nicely.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Simon_ASA - 02 November 2012 10:15 AM

ASA: A Space Adventure
Pre-Beta Demo Walkthrough

(demo download : http://bit.ly/SwdGAf)

DEMO #1 : BEGINNING (teleport station)

——————————————————————-
Introduction
——————————————————————-
Watch the opening videos and when you can, click at the top of the screen to stand up.

——————————————————————-
Teleport station
——————————————————————-
Notice the 2 teleport pods in the corridor. One is out of service (sparkles).
Next to it, you can find a memory card on the floor with the 1st part of Forte’s diary. Read it.

You can also find an important paper with explanations on number translations. Write down the Anterran numbers on a piece of paper (in real life) with the corresponding “crossed-squares” numbers.

Go near the bright door. The thief closed it. Have a look at the numeric panel on the right, where you have to enter a code. Click on the up left corner of the poster next to it. It will show the door combination in crossed-squares numbers. Go back to understand these squared numbers : on the left of the wall of the first teleport from the door (outside wall), you can see a small graffiti. It learns you that a crossed-square means 5, 2 crossed-squares mean 10, etc… That’s a way to count : each side of these squares counts for 1, and they’re additive.

Translate the door’s code (from the poster) with the Anterran numbers you found earlier and enter the 5 digits code. The door opens.

Zifnab’s Guide to Adventure Games says: “If you can’t understand even the walkthrough, don’t buy the game!” Smile

Not getting past the first puzzle of the demo with a walkthrough in hand is not a good sign   Confused Angry

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Primate Ryan :
I think it was the most difficult “item hunt” of the game, and that you shouldn’t have many problems like this now. There will still be some item to find but you will have clues to tell you where to look for.
But you will probably have to read the walkthrough when you will reach the “insects” puzzle and the “balloons” puzzle. You’ll understand that in time, but these 2 puzzles are for people who love to write down everything they saw in the game, which makes them very difficult… and maybe frustrating for someone like you ? Let me know ! Smile 

Zifnab :
I believe that “Zifnab’s Guide to Adventure Games” is right : if you can’t finish the demo with the help of the walkthrough, maybe you shouldn’t buy the game Smile
I think it’s once again due to the 1st-person view, which makes it still difficult for some people to know where to look for clues. It was the case in the Myst series for many people who disliked the exploration part because you didn’t know what you missed.
I understand that and if, by chance, I had the occasion to re-work the game (for another system for example), I would consider adding arrows on the views to let you know where you can go/look.

Joined 2012-11-27

PM

I do have a general idea what the balloon puzzle is about though and as for the insects puzzle: no clue when that is going to happen, but I did find three of them earlier on in the game.

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Great, then ! Looks like you won’t have too much trouble to end the game now.
The insects : well done, there are only 3 of them and the most difficult is to find them, but when you will see the place to use it, you will have no problem.

If you’re stuck and the walkthrough is not enough, don’t hesitate to ask ! Wink

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top