• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LadyLindashanethewolf

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

ASA: A Space Adventure

Total Posts: 487

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Thanks a lot Advie ! I really hope you will have pleasure to play it ! Don’t hesitate to share your opinion with me or here on AG ! It will be very interesting, and i’m sure it may help me improve my skills.

For those not interested in buying ASA via Paypal directly from http://www.aspaceadventure.fr, you can now buy it via indievania : http://www.indievania.com/games/asa-space-adventure

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I don’t know if the problem lies with me or with your website, but when I enter it there is a big, black empty frame in the middle of the screen. I guess there’s supposed to be some sort of video or animation there, but it just stays black and empty.

I use Firefox in Win XP.

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Hey, do you see a totally black site, or is it only the middle ?
If it’s totally black, it may be a javascript problem : there’s a loading on the site.
If it’s just the middle of the site, then yes : it’s the video trailer. It’s supposed to play from vimeo, so that shouldn’t cause any problem…
mmh… I don’t know, really…
I’m using Firefox too…
Well, I’ll try to see what could be the cause, thanks.

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Ah yes, Vimeo. It’s a weird video service. It doesn’t work in my Firefox for whatever reason (but works in IE and Chrome), and I know other people having other bizarre problems with it as well from reading the forums at Double Fine.

Total Posts: 299

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

Fantastic news Simon, downloading now and can’t wait to get started. I can’t believe how reasonable the price is. Honestly I would have paid more. FYI, I am using FireFox and have no problem viewing the Trailer through the link.

Don’t Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful…There Are Many Other Reasons

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

GreyFuss - 13 January 2013 05:25 PM

FYI, I am using FireFox and have no problem viewing the Trailer through the link.

Yeah, it’s not a common problem. I guess it’s probably caused by one of my extensions, but I don’t really want to have to turn off any of them for the sake of watching Vimeo content ever so rarely.

I’m not asking Simon to switch away from Vimeo - just reporting the problem so he knows some people might experience it Smile

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

downloading now and can’t wait to get started

Thanks a lot ! I believe a review should come on AG soon, if anyone is interested before buying.
I wish that everyone likes ASA, even if it’s not the game of the year Wink

I can’t believe how reasonable the price is

That’s what is great with indie games ! Grin
It’s mostly because I made the game on my own that I could lower the price.

Kasper F. Nielsen - 13 January 2013 05:25 PM

I’m not asking Simon to switch away from Vimeo - just reporting the problem so he knows some people might experience it

Yeah, you’re absolutely right, and many thanks for that !
You can always watch this “missing” trailer on the Steam Greenlight page (it calls it from youtube) :
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=95628194
About Vimeo, that’s a shame that you have problems with it. According to me, it’s the best video platform for graphists and artists, much more friendly than the others. I have all my other works there, and that’s why I chose to use it.
I never had any problem with them, so that’s interesting to know that some people do.

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

Fantastic

I wanted to post earlier about what I think about playing ASA but I just couldn’t break away from the game. I haven’t played a game that has had me thinking and taking notes this much in a long time, I just love it. A game that has me thinking about it even when I am not playing it. For instance when I opened my eyes this morning and before I got out of bed my mind was thinking about a particular bit of information I had been stuck on the night before. Before I arose I came up with the solution. My kind of adventure where you are dropped into the game world not knowing much and it is up to you to explore your environment and gather information needed to understand the why and where of the story. First person, solo exploration, Sci-Fi, point & click…mmmm good

Can’t stay, I’ve got to get back to the game…thank you Simon, so far…Impressive Smile

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

if that kind of response doesn’t make you proud to be making games and inspire you to follow that path as a career i don’t know what will Tongue.

congrats man for releasing the game.haven’t gotten it yet,though i will in the following days.problem is i won’t be able to play it for the following 9 months…..damn army duty(my country is one of those that have the compulsory army duty to be trained for an hour of need).

anyway really happy about it my friend!!!hopefully by the time i get out and get to play the game you’ll have some other project in the making!!!

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

@GreyFuss : well that’s probably the greatest thing I read since ASA released ! I don’t know what to say you, unless it’s me who should thank you for your words. It makes me really happy when someone likes my productions whatever they are: short films or game. In the case of ASA, which was my biggest project since I work as a freelancer, I had no idea of how people would welcome the game… So, thanks, sincerely. I hope you don’t mind : I will copy/past your words on the ASA dev blog in a new article. I don’t have much to post there these days, and it’s interesting for the others too to read opinions of people who played the game.

@jhetfield21 : glad to read you here Smile I sympathize about the army duty. I was lucky enough to live after it was cancelled here in France. Good luck to you, and thanks for your continuous support via twitter during the development of the game !

Oh by the way :

if that kind of response doesn’t make you proud to be making games and inspire you to follow that path as a career i don’t know what will

Initially, I didn’t make the project for money or to be proud, or nothing like that. It was an absolutely personal experience, boosted by passion. It was done in the continuity of my short film which, I feel, needed something more since people liked it on vimeo.
Now that ASA is released, I see things a little differently. I’m aware of its problems : bad gameplay on some specific puzzles, cursors problems, technical restrictions… But in the end, I’m proud of the result, yeah. I think it will motivate me to make more games in the future, and if possible, with a small team this time (including a programmer lol !). No specific plans yet, but I’ll think of it !

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

I bought and installed your ASA just now, and I’m impressed. It looks great!  Cool I was dying for a nice Mystian adventure.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

ok career/hobby whatever suits you….the point is to feel gratified and have your work recognised for what you’ve given it.

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Hey, the n°1 french mag about video games wrote a review of ASA ! They liked it !!

I made a quick translation of the verdict if you’re interested. I’d be happy to know what you think of it (for those who tried the game, of course).

“Graphics 10/20
Of course it seems quite dated, but the regular players of Adventure games will probably not care. The environments have enough details and precision to make the player continue his exploration, and they also participate to the special atmosphere of the soft.

Gameplay 15/20
Lovers of point and clicks, and particularly slideshow/1st person point and clicks, will immediately find their good old habits, despite some problems with the interface and the movements, which are quite unwieldy finally. But this occasional discomfort brought by the archaic gameplay don’t taint completely the pleasure of the player, who can devote himself to his favorite passion since Myst : solving some very difficult puzzles and immersing himself in a mysterious universe.

Life/Duration 15/20
Two planets, a satellite, and various environnements immediately in the Ark… our playing field isn’t huge however, but it is diversified, and mostly dotted of puzzles which should really slow down your progression. In the end, it will probably take your fifteen hours (without walkthrough).

Sound and music 14/20
The OST, quiet, nuanced and varied, is quite discrete in the end, but it also helps to impose the successful atmosphere, making us dive in this peculiar adventure. You’ll have the sensation to live a story frozen both in the time and in space.

Story 14/20
An Ark, ambitious creation of a disapeared civilization, and a cube, attracting irresistibly various astronauts… The idea is pleasant, and quite well used, mostly thanks to the diaries of Philippe Forté hidden in the backgrounds, and they give us everytime a new part of an intricate story. Some aspects of the story are much more classical, but you’ll proably follow it with pleasure.

Overall 15/20 (not an average of the above)

ASA : A Space Adventure is a good surprise among adventure games… because it was not really expected ! We’re in front of a spatial Myst-like assumed, giving us the joy to reconnect with our passions of yesterday : the exploration of an universe filled with strange scientific machines forcing compliance, resulting in puzzles which are particularly hard, and a story that progress thanks to our assiduous readings. Congrats to Simon Mesnard for this remarkable creation !”

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

Just finished ASA: A Space Adventure and I must say…Fantastic!

If you are a fan of a totally mouse driven game…
If you are a fan of first person, solo exploration…
If you are a fan of being dropped into a game world and have to discover everything on your own…
If you are a fan of games that are challenging…
If you are a fan of problem solving on your own…
If you are a fan of a great background score, at times epic movie sounding…
If you are a fan of games where you use your own head and are not led around by the hand…
If you are a fan of Sci-Fi adventures…
If you are a fan of games where you need make nots and drawings of the things you come across…
If you are a fan of an excellent voice over talent…
If you are a fan of the passion for adventures that Indie developers bring…
If you are a fan of the point & click adventure…
If you are a fan of the Myst, Rhem series and the like…
If you are a fan of a reasonably price adventure that gave me around 20 hours of enjoyment…
Then you are going to love ASA: A Space Adventure.

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Thanks A LOT GreyFuss ! All you say here is really what I tried to make within the game, so that’s wonderful to read this ! I would like that everyone who tries the game thinks the same. Well, until now I had no pessimistic comments anywhere Smile

@Fien : it everything OK with the game ? What do you think of it ?

For info, I just created a “fan page” for ASA : http://www.facebook.com/aspaceadventure
It can help people know about the game.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top