• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

luckyloser

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

IGN - 29, Essential Must Play Adventure Games

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

http://au.ign.com/articles/2017/05/19/29-essential-must-play-adventure-games

Biggest games site on the Net giving the genre some much deserved love!

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

That’s a good list but, then again, Richard Cobbett knows his sh… stuff. And it’s written with much less snark than what’s typical of him.

All the comments on the article are of the form “This list is wrong! Game X is missing.” (As if every list is supposed to conform with every dumb opinion out there.) I will just say that, purely chronologically, Resonance, Night of the Rabbit, and BoUT are too new to count as classics.

I hope this spurs interest in our genre among some mainstream gamers out there Laughing

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I stopped reading when they put Grim Fandango and The Walking Dead in the same category, and then wrote: If you can pick only one: The Walking Dead.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Lol, just how many of those lists Cobbett produced for various websites? Also Myst among the “excellent examples” of puzzle-adventure games is, eh, unusual? For years he expressed so much hate towards the series - and now this Smile Other than that, it’s a nice top, not too mainstream, “a mix of everything”.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Doom - 22 May 2017 05:31 AM

Lol, just how many of those lists Cobbett produced for various websites? Also Myst among the “excellent examples” of puzzle-adventure games is, eh, unusual? For years he expressed so much hate towards the series - and now this Smile Other than that, it’s a nice top, not too mainstream, “a mix of everything”.

Even if you hate Myst, you have to admit it’s a “must-play” adventure game. Smile

I’m a bit puzzled by the lack of text adventures.

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

If the aim is to get the average gamer into the adventure genre, text adventures might be a bit of a hard sell I guess.

Also why I’d forgive them for recommending Walking Dead over many superior options.

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

Doom - 22 May 2017 05:31 AM

Also Myst among the “excellent examples” of puzzle-adventure games is, eh, unusual? For years he expressed so much hate towards the series - and now this Smile

Good catch! That didn’t even register for me. Cobbett once had a multiple-choice “adventure-game knowledge quiz” in PC Gamer. One of the questions was something like “Myst is a terrible game”. The only answer available for choosing was True.

dumbeur - 22 May 2017 06:42 AM

Also why I’d forgive them for recommending Walking Dead over many superior options.

I couldn’t agree more. Also, further to what Diego said, while Grim is a vastly superior game, TWD had a well written story and excellent chemistry between the main characters. It might be a better first game for AG virgins yet.

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

TerminusEst - 22 May 2017 06:59 AM

Good catch! That didn’t even register for me. Cobbett once had a multiple-choice “adventure-game knowledge quiz” in PC Gamer. One of the questions was something like “Myst is a terrible game”. The only answer available for choosing was True.

That’s right! I tried to recall where I saw this joke, thought it was another top. He really used every opportunity to trash Myst Smile At least he is more tolerant nowadays.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

TerminusEst - 22 May 2017 03:32 AM

I will just say that, purely chronologically, Resonance, Night of the Rabbit, and BoUT are too new to count as classics.

what, classics must be old?

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

TerminusEst - 22 May 2017 03:32 AM

All the comments on the article are of the form “This list is wrong! Game X is missing.” (As if every list is supposed to conform with every dumb opinion out there.)

Half the point of list posts (at least good ones) is to get a good discussion going, encourage people to add suggestions and argue why they’d be better choices - one might even suspect the reason for making it 29 rather than 30 might be to get people thinking what #30 should be. Of course IGN may not be the best place for good discussions - if all people have to say is “X is missing from the list so YOU SUCK” rather than saying why they would include X, it doesn’t create an interesting dialogue. But if the list were here or on RPS the ensuing conversation would likely be valuable.

I will just say that, purely chronologically, Resonance, Night of the Rabbit, and BoUT are too new to count as classics.

Maybe. But also they might just not be the best introduction to the genre - for instance I haven’t played BoUT but I get the impression it has lots of in-jokes that wouldn’t mean so much to a newcomer.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I actually quite agree with the list. It’s a good list to introduce adventure games and even though I’d say that Last Express is much better than TWD, I agree that TWD is a good choice for beginners.

And Zork: Grand Inquisitor as the recommendation for puzzle games is a good one I think.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I can’t agree with many of you who say The Walking Dead is a good start. It may turn out you ARE right, and it’s actually a good (trap) way Smile for someone who isn’t into adventure games to catch an adventure “virus”, but it may also be a two-edged sword: Remember how the very first adventure games have a long and deep impression on our taste, and if someone starts with The Walking Dead, he/she may be spoiled and actually ask for more (and easier!) Telltale games which are not even an adventure games anymore. I say, wait for The Walking Dead until your taste is settled with a “middle ground” adventure games, or classics.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

diego - 22 May 2017 04:46 AM

I stopped reading when they put Grim Fandango and The Walking Dead in the same category, and then wrote: If you can pick only one: The Walking Dead.

Well, personally I think the first Walking Dead game is better than Grim. I’ve never really warmed up to it the way some genre fans have. Not that it’s a bad game either, I just think it’s tad overrated.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

It’s a nice selection but although they are explained, the categories seem arbitrary.
Gone Home and Myst in the same? And Night in the Woods? That game is totally story-driven.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

The Walking Dead is an amazing game. Grim is better, but it is a very difficult game. The elevator puzzle for example is devious, and I would not recommend it as a game to introduce new players to the genre.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

wilco - 23 May 2017 11:19 AM

It’s a nice selection but although they are explained, the categories seem arbitrary.
Gone Home and Myst in the same? And Night in the Woods? That game is totally story-driven.

Well, the name of the list is “adventure games” not “point’n'click games”. All of those titles do fall under the modern concept of what the term adventure includes.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top