• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dale

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

1st person revolution?

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Some time ago, I wondered about the lack of Myst clones. Someone obviously decided to do something about that:

The Five Cores is one that could promise the “second golden age”, as it screams typical Myst clone, and it received some good critics.

Then, we have some enigmatic stuff like Cradle, Coma, or Xing.

The horror department is also covered, with Asylum or Amnesia 2.

AGON 5 is on the way, along with Tex Murphy 6.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 299

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

Vive Le Revolution!

Don’t Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful…There Are Many Other Reasons

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Please, please, don’t call Tex Murphy a Myst clone! Thank you.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Nice to see, but it’s not a huge increase, is it? I mean, we have always had a few 1st personers each year, even though true Myst clones have been lacking recently in favour of spooky horror and mystery games.

There’s also the fact that Subdued Software have cancelled Relics 2. The developer said the first game wasn’t well received and the audience on BigFish was cruel towards it. Of course, that’s a casual game audience so it could just be bad marketing but it got a bad review here too. I liked the game, personally.

I’ve played Five Cores and enjoyed it. It reminded me of Myst V but is nothing too amazing.

Of course, we’ve got the fantastic RHEM series still active, and there’s signs of a new 7th Guest, which is exciting. I’ll call a revolution when I see a new Riddle of the Sphinx, a Journeyman Project 3, a sequel to Amber: Journeys Beyond, and a new Capri, Obsidian, Shivers and Myst. Not much to ask, is it? Smile

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Don’t call Asylum a Myst-clone unless you want to witness the flamewar to end all flamewars. Derek Smart will be gentle compared to my outburst of vile and hatred.

Seriously, feel free to call it a piece of crap, I won’t mind. Heck, I’ll probably agree with you. Just don’t say it’s a Myst-clone.

Senscape // Founder // Designer | Working on: Asylum | Twitter: @AgustinCordes

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Some of us like to use ‘Myst clone’ and ‘first-person adventure’ interchangeably. I do it sometimes, no malice intended.

Technically that’s wrong, because Myst was by no means the first adventure to use slideshow navigation. But the phrase was originally used by reviewers (esp. those who thought Myst was just a passing fad) to refer to those games trying to capitalise on the popularity of Myst with none of its originality or charm. That negative connotation is now gone, and rightly so.

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

I love the variety in adventure games we have (and have usually had with some peaks and valleys). Nothing like a little AFGNCAAP action every now and then. But I agree that being first-person doesn’t make a game a “Myst-clone”, which as Oscar highlighted was more of a pejorative term used in the 90s.

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Maybe rather than “Myst clone”, for all the first-person horror adventures flooding the market recently we should use “Shadowgate clone” instead? Smile

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Do you mean “Slender clones”? It seems like half of the titles on Greenlight have “Slender” in their title.

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Slender? I haven’t played it.

I was just pointing to the fact that horror games like Dark Fall and Scratches are closer to Shadowgate or Uninvited than they are to Myst, if we are talking about their origins.

Calling them clones would be absurd, of course.

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

I can live with Uninvited-clone.

Senscape // Founder // Designer | Working on: Asylum | Twitter: @AgustinCordes

Total Posts: 487

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

The five core is the beginning of a new wave Smile I don’t understand why Myst-likes (I prefer Myst-like than Myst clones) were abandonned by developpers, but many people were waiting for more games like that ! I’m one of them…
People who like the Myst series should try the demo of the five cores if not done already Wink
http://www.neeblagames.com/files/thefivecores/demo/pc/thefivecoresdemo-1_1-setup.exe

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

I always preferred third-person games until I played Fallout 3, then it all clicked into place for me. I think the narrative potential is much greater when a game’s focus is on exploration and discovery; inhabiting a world and uncovering its secrets at your own pace, as opposed to having characters sitting around, spewing exposition so you can solve a puzzle to unlock the next cutscene.

With that said, I’m not a big fan of puzzle-heavy games like Myst because the puzzles often feel contrived and the solutions convoluted. Plus, I dislike slide-show/nodal navigation—it’s slow, clunky, outdated and can be spacially confusing. If a developer can’t do real-time 3D, I’d much prefer them to adopt the Japanese visual novel approach of one background per scene, with close-up shots upon inspection. That’s what I’m doing in my game.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

That’s why I said 1st person in the title, but yeah - it was slightly confusing formulation from my side, so this discussion was to be expected.

Actually, only Cradle, Coma, Xing and AGON to an extent are “Myst-clones” the way we know it. There’re some more, like Amarhys, Aura 3, Dream or In the End of November.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Hardly a revolution, as much as I wish it were true. The 5 Cores is the first game in a long time that meets my gaming needs. First person games are usually horror or suspense, which is ok, but I crave the fantasy elements that made Myst so popular. As for puzzles, I think they are integral to Adventures and wouldn’t be playing them if they weren’t there.
BTW, there is another game on the horizon:
http://kairo.lockeddoorpuzzle.com/
I tried the demo, it’s a little rough around the edges, but beggers can’t be choosers.

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

orient - 03 October 2012 09:32 AM

I always preferred third-person games until I played Fallout 3, then it all clicked into place for me. I think the narrative potential is much greater when a game’s focus is on exploration and discovery; inhabiting a world and uncovering its secrets at your own pace, as opposed to having characters sitting around, spewing exposition so you can solve a puzzle to unlock the next cutscene.

With that said, I’m not a big fan of puzzle-heavy games like Myst because the puzzles often feel contrived and the solutions convoluted. Plus, I dislike slide-show/nodal navigation—it’s slow, clunky, outdated and can be spacially confusing. If a developer can’t do real-time 3D, I’d much prefer them to adopt the Japanese visual novel approach of one background per scene, with close-up shots upon inspection. That’s what I’m doing in my game.

I was going to write a long reply to this about slideshow vs 3D but decided to make a new thread since it’s not strictly OT.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top