• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Theme of the Week 1 - Managing Our Stuff

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Phlebas - 24 May 2017 05:07 AM

Close, Jabod - that is how a lot of people use the phrase. Technically “begging the question” doesn’t just mean having a hole in your reasoning, it specifically means circular reasoning - it’s when you assume the conclusion is true in trying to prove it.

So it’s not just saying ‘God exists because the Bible says so’ and leaving open the question of why you’d believe the Bible. It’s saying “God exists because the Bible says so - and that must be true because God wrote it!”

“We know Guybrush Threepwood is the mightiest pirate ever because Guybrush Threepwood says so - and he should know because he’s the mightiest pirate ever!”

I think you missed this bit in my original Phlebas:

Jabod - 23 May 2017 03:27 PM

That isn’t “begging the question” Becky as you’ve asked a specific question.

Where someone states something and, in attempting to prove it, cycles back to their starting point to the recipient of the statement it will “beg the question”, the question being “where is the proof for that”.

Bold added to highlight Smile

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

I had missed that - my apologies. I think because your examples weren’t explicitly circular I didn’t notice that the definition was entirely correct Smile

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Phlebas - 24 May 2017 07:36 AM

I had missed that - my apologies. I think because your examples weren’t explicitly circular I didn’t notice that the definition was entirely correct Smile

Not wanting to drag this out, or even further off thread topic Smile , where something is clearly self-referential (in my examples God/bible, Adventure Games/Adventure Gamers website) then it is cyclical and it does lead to “it begs the question”. In my second example if the originator had said “because Richard Cobbett says so” then a reasonable follow up would be “who the hell is Richard Cobbett?” and then have an ongoing discussion.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Well, now that I know what the phrase means, I can’t imagine a situation in which I would use it. Thanks for clearing that up, though!

Chrissie—I guess I need a wizard’s hat or a coat with lots of pockets to store my “breaking the fourth wall” inventory items.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top