• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Sefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Gamers Challenge! #15: Zork: Grand Inquisitor

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

OK, guys, we have exactly 10 days until the voting for the new official playthrough ends - just enough time to step into the magical world of ZORK and finish this beautiful game!!! Don’t worry if you haven’t played earlier Zork games - I haven’t either. I already played it but haven’t finished it (so what else is new?). Time to make justice, because it’s a great game, funny and whimsical, with a great sidekick.

Few words about the plot: Mir Yannick, the self-proclaimed “Grand Inquisitor” of Zork, has forbidden the use of magic in the Great Underground Empire. Punishment for the disobedient - totemization! You, the AFGNCAAP (Ageless, Faceless, Gender-Neutral, Culturally-Ambiguous Adventure Person) are the only one (with a little help from your bodiless sidekick) who can save the world and restore magic. The plot is scattered through various locales in the Zork world, and you’ll also carry your magic book which adds twist to the puzzles. The spells are certainly not your run-of-the-mill magic spells: for instance, one of them is called Zimdor which “triplicates quantity of intoxicating beverages”. Dangerous stuff.

One, two… GO!!!

Where to get it: GOG, Steam
Technical help: If you’re not running pre-optimized version, this page has all the necessary help.
The Challenge: Until May 20

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I might just as well. It’s been ages since I’ve played it.

Total Posts: 7445

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

deleted

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 5592

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I won’t have time to play (ZIMDOR would be useful right about now), but I will follow along, Diego.  This is a game in which doing stupid things is ever so much fun.

Thanks for that link, Karlok.  There are a bunch of things on the list that I haven’t tried.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Love the very first puzzle with the speaker volume. And the music is enchanting right from the start, very much similar to Journeyman Project series (and not only in the music regard).

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Karlok - 11 May 2017 04:54 AM

Here’s a list of Easter Eggs and fun things to try I used in the ZGI community playthrough.

http://www.mrbillsadventureland.com/amusing/funthings/zorkF/zgiF.htm

Oh, neat!! I tried the “KILLMENOW” command:

“Your score is 10 out of possible 1000. This score gives you the rank of PermaSuck Salesperson.”

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I had forgotten how good looking game this is. While it still looks like a 90’s pre-rendered title, the art direction is really strong. Also, the acting is great, I especially like Erick Avari’s Grand Inquisitor. Shun shunning indeed. He was the only actor I recalled was in the game, but the other cast is doing an excellent job as well. If only most of the 90’s FMV games had had this kind of quality, the genre might be a bit better remembered.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

tomimt - 11 May 2017 04:24 PM

I had forgotten how good looking game this is. While it still looks like a 90’s pre-rendered title, the art direction is really strong. Also, the acting is great, I especially like Erick Avari’s Grand Inquisitor. Shun shunning indeed. He was the only actor I recalled was in the game, but the other cast is doing an excellent job as well. If only most of the 90’s FMV games had had this kind of quality, the genre might be a bit better remembered.

I’ve seen the footage of the DVD version, and some of the interactive FMV scenes look much better in quality (for example, the sea scene, with the hook and the fish), but I’ve gave up on hunting it because the subtitles are left out.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Curfew began 10 seconds ago

I’ve played the intro numerous times but I only finished the game 2 or 3 times I think

You want a piece of me dockboy! ...or dockgirl, you all look the same to me

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

The weakest of the graphic zork games but still really good. Smile

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

deleted

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I have to say, that the navigation isn’t the most intuitive thing in the world on Z:I. I spent far too much time walking around randomly as I just hadn’t noticed that you can look up in one scene, which solved a puzzle I was stuck on. After I noticed that, the puzzle itself was easy.

I have a feeling had this used a real-time 3D engine, I would have noticed that thing I was missing.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

deleted

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

deleted

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Karlok????!!!!

It’s funny, I remember vividly all the locales (I’ve reached the underground section), but all the jokes and comments from Dalboz are like I’m hearing them for the first time - and I’m laughing my ass off!! Either my English was really bad back then, or I haven’t payed much attention to it. Some of the best quotes so far are when you desperately hit the buttons on the metro map, and he goes: “That’s it! Just keep hitting those buttons. Something’s bound to happen!”, or when you pick up a token: “Aww. Our very first inventory item together.”

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’m having a bit of a similar experience. The writing is pretty solid and overall, there’s a lot of great jokes in there. It does help a lot that the acting is pretty good as well and the cast does know how to deliver a joke.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top