• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Neuromancer.utopian

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Received a game for free? Post your favorite scene here

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

deleted

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

This is a great idea! I’ll make sure to do so when I finish Smile

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Not a favorite scene, but me holding two boxes sent to me by Lady Kestrel:

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

This game, ‘The Odyssey: The Next Generation Science Game’ is something special! If you have a preteen child or niece or nephew you need to play this with them! How it is presented is fitting for younger generations, to not only learn about the old scholars of science/astronomy and how they perceived things, but to learn why they did and challenge the thoughts and theories of them through the puzzles you encounter! You will follow the story thru a 13 year old girls journal about 250+ pages worth! It’s that journal that tells her family’s story of why they are there and what they do while there. The history that she learns/challenges through her father and mother of the past scholars, and the clues you will need to progress through each puzzle that her and brother redesigned! I recommend it!

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

deleted

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

Karlok - 08 May 2017 03:44 AM
Sir Beardalot - 08 May 2017 03:30 AM

I recommend it!

And the name of the game is…?  Smile

Eh, feel stupid now, fixed!

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

The reason I liked this idea so much is that I’ve been meaning to do something similar for a while now. So, below is a (commonly used) screenshot from The Sea Will Claim Everything, which I got from Karlok I believe:

The game is remarkable because on paper I had no reason to like it: it’s deliberately slow-paced, there’s node-based movement, no hotspot highlighting, a scene which borders on the hidden object - you name it. It even preaches some Bernie Sandersesque approach to life and property that goes against my own principles.

Nevertheless, I loved it. I don’t even know why, it just really gripped me. The writing was good, the art was excellent and I found myself enjoying it thoroughly even though objectively it was nothing like the games I typically like. So, thank you Karlok for giving me the chance and I encourage everyone to try it. They even fixed several of the issues listed in the AG review of the game.

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Antrax - 08 May 2017 12:14 PM

The game is remarkable because on paper I had no reason to like it: it’s deliberately slow-paced, there’s node-based movement, no hotspot highlighting, a scene which borders on the hidden object - you name it. It even preaches some Bernie Sandersesque approach to life and property that goes against my own principles.

I’m politically challenged which probably is the reason I couldn’t find much preaching in the game. I had a feeling there was some and I read it was there but whenever I looked for ‘real-world’ parallels I just got confused.

I really think the game works best as a simple fantasy tale and people shouldn’t read too much into the meaning. Smile

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I remember posting one time that I loved the artwork of Touche & as a result a lovely member here named mart generously sent me the boxed game!:tup: I did subsequently actually play it in a CPT which I very much enjoyed although I found it very challenging towards the end but that doesn’t matter as the artwork attracted my attention & stood out for me making it a bonus to find the game interesting also !

This is not necessarily one of my favourite scenes but one amongst those that lured me!   

Thumbs Up

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

deleted

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Karlok - 08 May 2017 04:13 PM

It’s mostly the financial and political situation of Greece versus controlling Europe. Didn’t you turn on the lights in the unspeakable cave? You’re shown flashes of faces of well-known politicians, like Thatcher and Merkel.

I totally missed that! Going to go back and check. Thanks! Smile

(but I still don’t understand the game’s message)

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Karlok - 07 May 2017 07:23 AM

Quoting giom in the Adventure Giveaway thread:

I ask that anyone who gets a key pledges to make a post with a screenshot about their favorite puzzle in the game or something like they really liked about the game.

I’d say that goes for winners of contests too. Smile

I’d like to start but I’m still playing Wilco’s gift.
Shifty Eyed

Thanks Karlok for making this thread. Now I’ve got to finish the gift Wilco gave me and make a post Smile

Also, you’ve immortalized my typo Frown Ah well, should learn to reread myself Pan

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

It’s been a while since I’ve played it, but the plot of the “The Sea” is kicked off by people threatening to repossess The Mysterious Druid’s home. All the rulers you meet along the way are greedy and corrupt. There’s a lot of criticism about consumer culture in general.

But hold the phone. While looking for more details about the plot (to jog my memory), I found out the writer was also on The Talos Principle, another game I thought was incredibly good? I guess I’ll have to hunt down everything he ever did.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

deleted

Total Posts: 81

Joined 2013-09-05

PM

Event[0] is an interesting game(thanks, giom!) I haven’t quite finished it yet, but can see where it’s going. It kinda reminds me of Her Story in that you need to find the right combination of keywords to input to advance. There is no inventory, in fact you can’t pick anything up. All you can do is move around and interact with computers and the AI. It’s fun talking to computers, even if it’s insulting me, like the screenshot shows!
(Or doesn’t show! Sorry, the link is: https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/809930556471157099/34E4707962DCD43FE695FABEAC3E8F1A53DBEE7D/ )

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

This is a screen from Stasis, a game which I received from Sir Beardalot (thanks again!) and which the community here loved when it came out.
The scene above is special because it was the first time I seriously considered quitting the game. The turrets you see shooting are invisible as you enter the screen - you walk into it and bam, cheap death.

Alright, cool, that’s atmospheric I guess and the game auto-saves. What’s that? The long, tedious two-minute dialogue plays again and I can’t skip it? Oh well. Better save now that it’s over and see how I could’ve avoided this death. So, let’s examine the panel in the floor… oh wow, dead again? And it reloads the autosave instead of my save so I have to manually load? Oh, and the solution is clicking on something completely unrelated because the smart cursor does something else the second time you click it? hmm.

So, not to sound ungrateful but the game is seriously flawed. It’s amazingly pretty and it’s quite well-written but it falls short as a game. Pixel hunting, smart cursor woes, the interface doesn’t register when you’re trying to do occasionally so you have to try everything twice, cheap deaths… this is the sort of game you’d enjoy more by having a walk-through by your side.

It also suffers from technical difficulties: occasionally crashes when saving (losing your progress), the default resolution is like 320x200 or something and you have to run it in compatibility mode to have the change register and there’s no way to change settings. Volume, gamma correction, none of it’s there.

I didn’t rage-quit at that scene, but I broke about an hour after when a combination of the problems above overwhelmed me. I was stuck for a while until the walkthrough told me it’s a tiny hotspot in an unreasonable place in a sea of things similar to what you’re looking for. Then the puzzle was tedious, just copy clues from somewhere into a terminal (thank god for the camera on my phone). THEN I find out you have to guess a part of the solution and finally the game crashed when I saved after that part so I had to do it again. Thanks but no thanks.

Thanks again Sir Beardalot for the game. I wish I could enjoy it more.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top