• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What Remains of Edith Finch

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Virginia is pretty close being an animated movie. I wouldn’t really call it a game, but an interactive 1st person movie.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Gabe - 22 May 2017 12:59 PM

That’s a good example about what is actually a walking sim,if interaction just limited down to character’s head movements,how can be describe any nuanced?

There is not only interactivity in both Rapture and Finch
You can miss chapters too Smile

I loved how i missed 2nd chapter in Rapture and Odin’s story in Finch

So unlike empty closed limited spaces of Virginia

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

nomadsoul - 22 May 2017 11:28 AM
Oscar - 22 May 2017 10:29 AM

The agency is in observation and interpretation.

Yup like Movies and paintings that you cannot control or explore

Right on the money Laughing

Nope. I missed a lot of things in Virginia, in fact I replayed it twice just to find them. I doubt I will replay Edith Finch again. There is nothing to find, no mystery.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Oscar - 21 May 2017 11:36 AM

Not really. The books on the shelves were repeated with sometimes 2 or 3 books with the same title on the same shelf. Once I notice that developers don’t put effort into certain detail.I don’t bother to explore extensively

Nope. I missed a lot of things in Virginia, in fact I replayed it twice just to find them

Grin

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

What’s your point? It’s a stylistic choice not to label the records. It fits with the rest of the game, and it’s a far better way to go than having a bookshelf full of repeated generic books.

Don’t get me wrong, I liked Finch a lot. But it has many flaws, not in the least the contrived “curse” plot which never really goes anywhere.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Oscar - 23 May 2017 12:29 AM

What’s your point? It’s a stylistic choice not to label the records. It fits with the rest of the game, and it’s a far better way to go than having a bookshelf full of repeated generic books.

Don’t get me wrong, I liked Finch a lot. But it has many flaws, not in the least the contrived “curse” plot which never really goes anywhere.

I just wanted to know if your criticism was coming from prejudice (like Brothers Karmazov or Babylon 5) or you have some personal barometer, i guess its the former

I dont mind criticism, atleast for this game which is already getting its due critical acclaim like Inside last year

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2017-03-20

PM

Throwing my hat into this ring of fire (because why not?!):

Virginia was a unique experience that did a lot of things right. But if I think “would I like this better as a film?”, I think my answer is yes.

Even though Finch arguably has similar levels of interaction, my answer to the above question is no—this experience was better as a game. Part of it is the exploratory nature of the house: the old creaky thing feels half magical and half scary, and wandering through it felt like an adventure in itself. And I was actually finding bits of the story in the world—the main gameplay component, exploration of dilapidated nooks, was directly rewarded with story advancement.

Finch also changes its controls and aesthetic in its various scenes, which led to different flavours that were all enjoyable.

The differences between Virginia and Finch are hard to quantify, and I don’t think I’m doing a great job of it with this post, or even in my head. But I guess, I felt Virginia dragged me through its (still rather interesting) narrative, with few interactions or agency to be had. Even though it’s still a walking-sim, I felt more connected to Edith Finch. More of a participant in the stories, rather than pushing a button to continue the plot.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

TheWanderingBen - 23 May 2017 01:20 PM

Finch also changes its controls and aesthetic in its various scenes, which led to different flavours that were all enjoyable

I played on Joypad and it has best use of analog sticks since Brothers imo
though i can write in detail which parts were used cleverly also siomilary to contextual Heavyrain motions
They are pushing the narrative through interaction, different forms of it, esp analog bits
I guess you can miss a lot of feel if you are playing with mouse and keyboard setup just like pulling Hadoken, not complex as much but its more intuitive and fun

I always like pressure based analog movements

In simple english, (spoilers)

Against this mechanically Virginia is redundant, move head, walk around, press button thats it, and that part alone lasts less than any Telltale games

To some it up, there is more mechanical depth in Barbara chapter than entire virginia
And the style changes in Finch from animals to comic to overhead RPG just makes it a winner

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Mechanical depth? Okay, now you’re getting desperate.

I’ll grant you, it was a very well made game for what it is. But what it is, is a story without half the meaning and depth that Virginia had. It tugs the heartstrings, yes, in a manipulative kind of way. But more than that? Not really.

(And actually, I thought the same thing about Brothers.)

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Oscar - 23 May 2017 11:35 PM

I’ll grant you, it was a very well made game for what it is

Yeah atleast its a game

And i am not alone

Sadly, games that aspire to be cinematic will inevitably draw comparisons with film, and Virginia is a narrative game without a memorable narrative. But its goals were admirable and hopefully other developers will experiment further with this format.

Virginia is, at its best, a gaming mechanism that provides slightly more immersion than watching a movie—and at its worst, a failed walking simulator with a convoluted ending. Because it is a scripted experience light on interaction and choice, I’m not entirely sure I can recommend it as a game

A slick cinematic thriller, but interaction is limited and the story loses focus in the final act.

And thats few of critical reviews on Metacritic at 77%

While PC Finch at 90% and PS4 ver at 88%

Finch

I strongly expect that this game will be used for years to come as a ‘textbook’ case to educate developers about how to compose a story by not resorting to screeds of text or long loops of audio (in the form of simulated manuscripts, letters, voice recordings etc.); almost tauntingly, in one story, the letter-being-read crutch is used, but subverted ingeniously through the gameplay

Giant Sparrow has created a title that can be held up against books and movies for storytelling prowess and stand strong. With its contemplative story and consistent interesting use of design, this is a title that should be experienced by anyone interested in what video games can do.

By the end of What Remains of Edith Finch, I felt close to the Finch family. I felt close in a way that only games could articulate with their unique interactive language. I was a kid on a swing, trying to get as high as he can. I was a baby in a bathtub. I was a curious, hungry kid. What Remains of Edith Finch doesn’t just tell you about the tragic history of the Finch family, it allows you to embody it.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Posting the worst Virginia reviews and best Finch reviews - really? Meh

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Oscar - 24 May 2017 12:27 AM

Posting the worst Virginia reviews and best Finch reviews - really? Meh

The worst ones of Finch are in 70% ballpark which is MC average of Virginia

You can go to MC and check yourself how much bad vs good noise is on both sides

And also Finch had 56 critics, virginia 36

Moreover, mentioned MC itself i.e 90% vs 77% is huge gap , why i would gain by convincing one guy here (you)
Its a critical hit, hence not a desperate situation…at all
Smile

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Forrest Gump got better reviews over Citizen Kane on their respective releases too.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Oscar - 24 May 2017 12:40 AM

Forrest Gump got better reviews over Citizen Kane on their respective releases too.

Yeah but both were films
Here most are writing off Virginia as film…no merit as game
Btw, you will fit right in TTG crowd, give them a try

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

You talk as if Edith Finch had any more than exactly zero challenge to it. And I’m starting to get the impression you didn’t understand Virginia’s story. Was it too complicated for you?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top