• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Beckyzobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Yoomurjak’s Ring sequel?

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve got so far with this & found it quite easy & then found the challenge ramps up in places. I didn’t mind the English voicing but 100% agree with it preferably being in Hungarian with subtitles.

Pilaus - 05 May 2018 10:43 AM
UruBoo - 05 May 2018 07:05 AM

Playing Miazma and enjoiyng very much. Only complain is the fact that when you speak to someone, the movies are frame-by-frame and not continuous.

Indeed, this is a different method than what was used in Yoomurjak’s Ring, although the engine is the same. But there was a reason, it works better in certain parts of the game.

An addition:
This method eliminates lip synching and makes localizations easier.

Yes, in places the game reminds me of techniques used in the Carol Reed series of game but to good effect & I can see how it works for translation into a lot of alternative languages without having to worry about lip-synching!

I’ve got stuck but as far as I’ve got I’ve enjoyed the ride so far…... Smile

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Cheshire Cat - 07 May 2018 10:21 AM
walas74 - 07 May 2018 09:11 AM

Hi!

How long would it take to complete comparing with Yoomurjak?

Hi,
It took me 12 hours to complete Miazma, but I did a bit of backtracking in the last part of the game, so it can probably be finished in less time, and I don’t remember exactly but I think Yoomurjak was at least twice as long.

I remember spending quite a lot of time on some of the puzzles in Yoomurjak and even then doubt it would have been 24 hours long. However, it is clear so far that Miazma is more dialogue-based and features somewhat easier puzzles which cut the play-time down. The static screens and hotspot indicator both help in that regard.

I still think the decision to dub the whole game into English was misguided. We’ve already heard from several players of Yoomurjak who loved the Hungarian, and the acting talents have largely gone to waste by chopping up the FMV scenes into stills. A simple addition of subtitles to the original would have been the better option.

Total Posts: 80

Joined 2013-02-01

PM

Oscar - 08 May 2018 09:28 PM

I remember spending quite a lot of time on some of the puzzles in Yoomurjak and even then doubt it would have been 24 hours long. However, it is clear so far that Miazma is more dialogue-based and features somewhat easier puzzles which cut the play-time down. The static screens and hotspot indicator both help in that regard.

I still think the decision to dub the whole game into English was misguided. We’ve already heard from several players of Yoomurjak who loved the Hungarian, and the acting talents have largely gone to waste by chopping up the FMV scenes into stills. A simple addition of subtitles to the original would have been the better option.

Yes, 24 hours is probably too much indeed, but I still have an impression that it was much, much longer. I was actually surprised that I’ve spent 12 straigth hours on Miazma. Perhaps I’ve left it on when I made a break and Steam counted that as a play time. Or maybe It’s just my subjective feeling, because there were only a couple of locations and a lot of dialogue, so I didn’t feel I was doing much. On the other hand, I did take my time with it because I really wanted to get into the game and enjoy it as much as I enjoyed Yoomurjak’s Ring.

And I also would have prefered it in Hungarian.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

How did you guys manage to get past the safe with the 6 locks? I haven’t even managed to open one so far. Talk about ramping up the difficulty all of a sudden…

Joined 2013-02-01

PM

Oscar - 09 May 2018 08:33 AM

How did you guys manage to get past the safe with the 6 locks? I haven’t even managed to open one so far. Talk about ramping up the difficulty all of a sudden…

That was my favorite part of the game but I opened only four and had to look up the walkthrough (found it in Hungarian, which I don’t speak btw, but whatever) for the other two and it turned out that I already had the answer for the fifth, just didn’t think it was that obvious/stupid and the sixth one I didn’t quite understand but wasn’t too keen on exploring at that point. Anyways, I suggest to write down exactly which objects were in each section of the wooden box, because once you use up your inventory there will be no trace as for where they once were and it is actually very important, because each section of the box is dedicated to one lock. Then go talk to everyone and try to give them all the objects to get all the clues and write them down under each section, otherwise you’ll forget the details and using the notebook to search through conversations is annoying. There will be a lot of backtracking which does get tiring after a while. And look for three digit numbers everywhere. The order of the locks is not important, any of the correct combinations will work on any lock. Also, use miniWiki on the phone.

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2011-02-10

PM

Cheshire Cat - 09 May 2018 09:13 AM

... I suggest to write down exactly which objects were in each section of the wooden box, because once you use up your inventory there will be no trace as for where they once were

Using pen and paper is not a bad idea for this game, indeed Smile And the experience has been that there are two types of players: those who pick up the items from one section of the box at a time, and those who pick up everything. The latter method can be more difficult, but not necesarily. To make it easier, if you move the cursor over the items in the inventory, the popup text will tell you which section it was in.

Congratulations to everyone who managed to play the game without a walkthrough Thumbs Up

The Miazma English webiste link is on its way!

Joined 2011-02-10

PM

The new English website for MIAZMA is here:

http://miazmagame.privatemoon.com/

Guide and walkthrough, screenshots and some info about the game.

Total Posts: 1260

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I will start playing it this weekend to test the Spanish translation we just made.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Pilaus - 09 May 2018 10:30 AM
Cheshire Cat - 09 May 2018 09:13 AM

... I suggest to write down exactly which objects were in each section of the wooden box, because once you use up your inventory there will be no trace as for where they once were

Using pen and paper is not a bad idea for this game, indeed Smile And the experience has been that there are two types of players: those who pick up the items from one section of the box at a time, and those who pick up everything. The latter method can be more difficult, but not necesarily. To make it easier, if you move the cursor over the items in the inventory, the popup text will tell you which section it was in.

Congratulations to everyone who managed to play the game without a walkthrough Thumbs Up

The Miazma English webiste link is on its way!

So just to be clear, it doesn’t matter which lock you enter any of the codes on? All 6 codes can be entered on any of the locks in any order?

I haven’t used a walkthrough yet but going around showing every single item to everyone at Atomki seems really tedious and I’m not sure I can be bothered.

Joined 2013-02-01

PM

Oscar - 09 May 2018 08:19 PM

So just to be clear, it doesn’t matter which lock you enter any of the codes on? All 6 codes can be entered on any of the locks in any order?

Exactly! One correct code will open one lock, whichever one you may chose it to be.

I haven’t used a walkthrough yet but going around showing every single item to everyone at Atomki seems really tedious and I’m not sure I can be bothered.

Well, start with the logical ones first, but when you get stuck then try to show the items you’re stuck with to everyone, because some clues came from unexpected sources (unexpected for me at least, perhaps I’ve missed some logic there, or didn’t pay enough attention).

Joined 2011-02-10

PM

Cheshire Cat - 10 May 2018 01:30 AM

Exactly! One correct code will open one lock, whichever one you may chose it to be.

Yes! But make sure to press the knob. If nothing happens the code is incorrect.

Well, start with the logical ones first, but when you get stuck then try to show the items you’re stuck with to everyone, because some clues came from unexpected sources (unexpected for me at least, perhaps I’ve missed some logic there, or didn’t pay enough attention).

There is logic in what to show to whom. The characters tell you about their work and interest on day 2. (You can check it in the notebook). If not so obvious, it’s worth trying Vera or the director. It happens that someone comments on an object only later, when more has been found out about it.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I’ve got 3 locks open so far. About the 5th lock, the material scientist has asked me to give him the flask I want analyzed. How do I do this? I know which one I want to give him.

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Oscar - 11 May 2018 06:21 AM

I’ve got 3 locks open so far. About the 5th lock, the material scientist has asked me to give him the flask I want analyzed. How do I do this? I know which one I want to give him.

Have you tried combining the analysis of the flasks with that of the stoppers in your inventory?

I really regret not making notes, particularly of the names, specialities & side-interests of the scientists when I started playing the game. I got as far without a walkthrough to partway ‘investigating’ the clues for the locks & got completely lost - yes, it would have been preferable to have focused on just one set of clues at a time. 
I will definitely play the game again!

BTW Are you really expected to once you have the clue to the cipher to solve this independently rather than within the game? Pan

Joined 2011-02-10

PM

chrissie - 11 May 2018 06:54 AM

BTW Are you really expected to once you have the clue to the cipher to solve this independently rather than within the game? Pan

You don’t have to, it just might be easier to solve it on paper. Everything is there in the game what you need: the keyword and the chart. With my eyesight, I found it easier to print out the chart, but most people don’t need to.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

chrissie - 11 May 2018 06:54 AM
Oscar - 11 May 2018 06:21 AM

Have you tried combining the analysis of the flasks with that of the stoppers in your inventory?

I really regret not making notes, particularly of the names, specialities & side-interests of the scientists when I started playing the game. I got as far without a walkthrough to partway ‘investigating’ the clues for the locks & got completely lost - yes, it would have been preferable to have focused on just one set of clues at a time. 
I will definitely play the game again!

I figured out 5 locks on my own but this was the one I needed a walkthrough for - and I still don’t know how it’s solved.

[spoiler]So the cipher code was “Deuterium” - how and where was this found? I never came across that word. In fact I was trying to use the Caesar shift, based on the image of Julius Caesar I assembled on the computer. And were the Gabor clues, holography and neutrinos all red herrings? How did the 7:20 and the clock come into play?[spoiler]

So, confused as I am, I finished the game. Not bad, although not nearly as good as Yoomurjak’s Ring.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top