• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoKeybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game are you playing right now?

Total Posts: 32

Joined 2005-07-01

PM

Veovis - 05 June 2020 04:29 AM
Phantom88 - 05 June 2020 02:36 AM

Started Broken Sword 3 today, loved the first two. Don’t understand how you screw the controls up so royal though. At least everything else about the game is pretty great so far.

I recently replayed BS3 and the controls are fine with a controller, bad with keyboard. The biggest problem is the camera imo. Would have helped especially some of the games lesser moments if the player was able to move the camera.

I’m currently replaying BS5. I’m not very fond of it, in some ways I actually think it’s a lesser game than BS4. The story is ok, but everything is so sloooow, with unnaturally long pauses in dialogues and slow reacting and moving characters. I remember having the same issues with the game the first time around, actually ended up left-clicking at the end of each line of dialogue in order to speed things up to a somewhat natural flow. I play it in chunks, losing interest pretty quickly each time I play.

Maybe I’ll give it a try with a controller then, thanks for the heads-up.

“When government surveillance and intimidation is called “freedom from terrorism” or “liberation from crime”, freedom and liberty have become words without meanings.”
~ Chad Dumier, “Deus Ex”

The Adventure Game Enthusiast

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2020-06-01

PM

After finishing Thimbleweed Park, i quickly moved on to the first Deponia game.

Not hooked yet but going from a Ron Gilbert game is going to lead to some unfair comparisions.

I struggled with the ‘get the toothbrush’ puzzle, so I’m a bit concerned if im not going to be very good at this game haha.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

I’ve spent 35+ hours with disco elysium now… its just so ridiculously good. It’s funny how sometimes the easiest way to tell if a game gets defined under adventure is that its really hard to define. And thats the case with this game… its an rpg… but doesnt have combat.. it has equipment and stats… but everything is closely tied into story. Its sort of an interactive fiction game… but with exploration and time management. I think it falls in the category of games like deus ex or the original fallout.. in the sense where it may not sell the most copies but its extremely different and influential in what it does. Its also one of the very best games in making me feel like choices matter. Once I’ve finished it i’ll try to dissect a little into how much choices really mattered.. but it seems like they matter a lot.. especially cool that your dialogue choices result in character customization.. so every time I go to say something weird i think “wait.. is this going to result in unlocking a new thought?”

Total Posts: 32

Joined 2005-07-01

PM

Started playing Tex Murphy: Mean Streets, so far so good. Although I’m very happy about the auto-pilot in the speeder. Probably would have dropped it if I had to fly myself.

“When government surveillance and intimidation is called “freedom from terrorism” or “liberation from crime”, freedom and liberty have become words without meanings.”
~ Chad Dumier, “Deus Ex”

The Adventure Game Enthusiast

Total Posts: 141

Joined 2019-05-03

PM

Just finished in In Other Waters. More of a relaxing exploration game than anything else. Story I felt was unfortunately ... well, how to put it? I think 10 minutes into the game I basically had the entire script figured out because it was exactly like a whole bunch of books etc. I’ve read at one point or another. So that was kinda disappointing.

With a bit more complexity in gameplay it could have been good fun though.

Also some Murder by Numbers but I’m not sure I’ll finish that. It’s so centered around that robot companion - story-wise - and I guess I just don’t care ^^# The story completely failed to make me somehow invested in that ... thing.
Cases themselves aren’t that great and the gameplay is just the same puzzles always; and, sure, if you like them, I guess that’s your thing, but you really only need one method to solve every single of them. The game actually kinda made me question what starts to be a “puzzle” and what’s simply obvious logic ^^#

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Playing Danganronpa 10th anniversary edition on IOS. So far, better than I thought it would be, trials are pretty easy using a touch screen. Story is the same as the PSVITA version. Hope to finish it soon.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Just finished “Neversong” - a platformer/adventure mix and really enjoyed it! Some dark stuff in there, but the hero and main NPCs are kids, so it comes out part hilarious/part creepy. For a change - there was an unexpected ending, which is a rarity. Also really cool visuals and voice-work. It’s not a hardcore platformer and is mostly centered around a story but requires some dexterity.

Also just finished “The White Door” - classic Rusty Lake fare but with more “meta” stuff than puzzles. It’s more thought-provoking then anything (and in the end nothing is explained, like in all RL games, of course). The horror is vastly psychological. (Even using the word “horror” is kind of a stretch, but there are some spooky moments there.) Rusty Lake is a brand in its own right, so if you ever played one of their games - you’ll know exactly what to expect in terms of atmosphere and overall strangeness. Pretty good, pretty odd.

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2020-06-28

PM

Right now, I’ve dived back into good old Victoria II… while I’m supposed to write a redevelopment project for two of these houses in Bavaria. I guess it can wait, I just have to quickly finish it later on before deciding which one of the cool soundinggames I’ve discovered on that forum I begin first!

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

I’m playing 428 Shibuya Scramble.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/648580/428_Shibuya_Scramble/

Wonderfully over the top in that charming Japanese way and so far the story is really interesting. It’s kind of a visual novel where the challenge consists of making choices for different characters actions that affect what happens to the other people in the story. Three or four hours into it it’s really a lot of fun!

Bit surprised it isn’t listed on the AG main site.

Rather pricey at 50 euros but right now on sale for 9.99.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’m trying my hand at Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc again. I started it last year, but couldn’t quite get into it and it even managed to destroy my will to game for a while.
Already got a lot further than last year this time around.

I just finished the second class trial and, well, I’m hoping the game improves, because it’s very uneven, imho. You get bombarded with way too many characters at once at the start, it takes forever to start going somewhere, it’s chock-full of sequences that feel like pure filler, the characters are far too grotesque to be likable, there are WAY too many gameplay mechanics at work during the class trials (most of which are not fun at all), and almost all attempts at humour have fallen flat I feel.
Good thing the twisted dark material piques my interest enough to persevere, because right now, it’s very “meh”...

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

I had a similar experience when I tried to play the english patched game on my PSP.

Every game in the series seems to start that way as far as I can tell.
You meet like 15 “super-duper-highschool-ultimate kids” many of which has ... questionable powers (Ultimate child-caregiver… wtf).  Getting to the first class trial takes HOURS of just wandering around, talking to people.  And the class trials are enjoyable but they throw like 6 different mini games at you one after another in quick succession, which I didn’t find overwhelming.

But by the time you’re at the second class trial, I’ve been wandering around halls for so many hours, I’ve forgotten how to play the mini games!

It’s very japanese, in a way that might turn westerners off.  You have to have a decent understanding of japanese culture and manga/anime to fully appreciate a lot of the jokes and tropes presented.

I did have fun playing Danganronpa, but every time I consider booting it up again, I ask myself if I can handle 3 hours of reading dialogue before something happens.

Timovieman:  So I ask this to you and anyone else who has played a DANGANRONPA game;

If you were at ultimate academy, what would your ultimate power be?

I think I would be the “ultimate romantic”
or maybe “ultimate long-hair-haver”

(also, I really like the music, especially Monokuma’s lesson revisited from DANGANRONPA V3 killing harmony)

In the third one you meet all these characters, and then the game “knocks you out again because the bears weren’t ready to start the killing game.”

I assume it will be relevant way later, but it makes me wonder why bother showing us stuff before the game officially ‘starts’?  Like you said it feels like a joke that falls flat because they have these mechs…. but why?  Yeah anime has mechs in it, but that alone doesn’t really seem like a good reason to cram them in this game.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Celebreon - 03 July 2020 01:43 PM

It’s very japanese, in a way that might turn westerners off.  You have to have a decent understanding of japanese culture and manga/anime to fully appreciate a lot of the jokes and tropes presented.

That’s not the issue, because I loved the Phoenix Wright games (the first and Trials and Tribulations are among my favourite games EVER), and I loved both 999 and Virtue’s Last Reward. Which is why Danganronpa had been recommended so much to me…

So far, it pales in comparison. Frown

Timovieman:  So I ask this to you and anyone else who has played a DANGANRONPA game;

I scoff at the notion of ultimate anythings, so I wouldn’t be an ultimate. Why can’t I just be a less bland version of the main character? Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 42

Joined 2019-07-06

PM

I’m replaying Beneath a Steel Sky, because I have a huge monkey on my back whispering to my ear “Beyond a Steel Skyyyyy, July 16thhhhhh!”

I have to say it: this game has aged very, very well. It still looks gorgeous, with top quality animations.

The Hand of Glory is out!
Currently developing Roots in the Sky - The Hand of Glory 2!

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Celebreon - 03 July 2020 01:43 PM

Ultimate “no-drama” person. Or ultimate “Diet Coke” drinker. Ultimate daydreamer will work as well.  Smile

I just finished 2nd Danga, and BOY is the story convoluted! I also dislike many trial mechanics (the rhythm one is a disaster). I’d say I liked it on the “meh” level and enjoyed the first one better, which puts me on the fence about getting the 3rd one, as Danganronpas are pricey titles. And yes, it completely pales in comparison with Phoenix Wright games that are superb! I actually have PW soundtrack on continuous rotation.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

That’s not the issue, because I loved the Phoenix Wright games (the first and Trials and Tribulations are among my favourite games EVER), and I loved both 999 and Virtue’s Last Reward. Which is why Danganronpa had been recommended so much to me…

So far, it pales in comparison.

Dangaronpa did win the Aggie for best Japanese adventure game, and with good reason. It’s by far the best adventure game I have ever played. My best advise is to hang in there, the story gets way better in all the Dangaronpa games as you progress the characters gets way better also.

Lastly, when you get stuck, use a walkthrough to figure out what you need to do. I have used a walkthrough on all my Dangaronpa games when I got stuck.

I loved the game on the PSVITA and I enjoyed it even more on my iPad with the 10th anniversary edition. I’ve played it over 4 times and loved the Japanese aspects with their dark humor every time.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top