• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game have you just finished?

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I copied Celebreon and just finished Tuberbrook.

managed to pick it up free through Twitch Prime.

Enjoyed it. Some of the puzzles are a bit moon logical, but overall not too difficult due to the fact when you click on a usuable hotspot it shows you the object needed (if you already have it)

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Well that’s just the thing, I do have to criticize the puzzles for being obtuse, but at the same time (and this is mentioned in the site review)  it’s not like there are options.  The verb coin allows for a few items to show up down there and one of them will work at least (or two together) or you just don’t have what you need and the USE icon won’t show up.  SO in that way it feels kind of hand-holdy, but I’d rather it be too easy than too hard.

Lets be honest about getting the suit of armor (first, why?!) I would never have tried to throw the can opener AT IT on my own.  By that logic why not something heavier or… ball shaped or.. BAH! 

But the only thing interesting about the physical edition is it comes with a postcard type manual that tells you about truberbrook and the characters you will encounter.

I really thought the chubby weather girl that floats off was going to be the same person as gretchen.

Actually there are several times in this game where I just laughed out loud.

I forgot to mention that although the main character is a quantum physicist, and although there are esoteric sciences used as plot device, you don’t necessarily need to understand these concepts to enjoy the game, or to enjoy the jokes, characters and puzzles.

I recently got some Head Up games in a bundle, and since my fun time with Truberbrook, I’m going to be keepin an eye on them.  This would have been an awesome game to get for free, I’m kind of jealous Lucien

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Celebreon - 23 August 2020 12:07 AM

just finished Truberbrook, and I recommend it overall.

It’s a bit on the easy side (by design) even if the puzzles are a bit obtuse.  It’s a mix of primarily inventory-object puzzles with some dialogue puzzles thrown in as well.

strange, it seems only me who didn’t like Truberbrook, and you are the 2nd Celebreon, who i read praising it here, no one really talks about.

i did mention it before at the 2019 resolution thread, but i had only played half of it and stopped then, didn’t know what the game is really about, but since i ve seen your post now, i feel i owe it to myself (at least) to say what i liked and hated about Truberbrook, and how it left me baffled of i really should think of it, as no game (at least these last years) came close to making me confused about how i hated it and why and if i am legit in the first place, to say i do.
bear with me (or not) as it is gonna be a long post i guess.

i liked it for its obtuse and easy puzzles (as you nicely mentioned it)  and i think they are this way because the game has had a ?nice? way of little telling you what the puzzle really is or where the obstacles are, you might need to search for what you need to be doing before you can easily then solve them. and as for how strange and boring for anyone who haven’t played it this may sound, the game is only short about 3-5 hours long, depending on your intensity.

Chapter1 is much holding up in every sense and was finished with an average enjoyment but nothing was really exciting about the story or the way it worked out so far, only that it was smooth and promising

Chapter2: i didn’t like for its weirdness, and first of all, I don’t think the graphics were as much holding up from chapter one to chapter2 esp. as if just the same tools were used but a different designer filled in instead. and the main puzzle here was of a strange but yet kinda original idea, so i was irritated of the new location i was at but appreciating the puzzle for its originality, or let’s say appreciating the developer to make something different maybe even if i didn’t enjoy, kinda respect status with no real ceratin emotion toward what the chapter was really about.

The third chapter i played almost 8-9 months later, and only i did (as i had reset for that while not sure i wanna go on with it)  after reading a certain post from a poster here whom I might think we have many same favs or taste for older adventures who posted that it was an adventure he loved, so I jumped to it again in only the sense of giving up on it as soon as it bothers me, just to make sure I am not missing on something good, but for my bad luck, the 3rd chapter was the best, had some kinda extra-mini Riven puzzle in one room space at its end, that is very very nicely executed!, from a total block to more n more hope in figuring it out, with a nice touch of animation gives the illusion that your eyes are getting used to the darkness of the cave you are in, as the wall start little by little shows what really on them, and then the way to solve a puzzle is what i wish for at every puzzle; when you are totally you not sure about the direction you are going with, then.. click*, solved and how it does make all sense then, and how i should ve beileved it the right direction from the start. some joy with some luck and some regret altogether. maybe this game could be appreciated for that puzzle only.

and when i am excited enough chapter4 throws me back on my back and then my knees, praying it ends well,  but NO, it now turns into a disaster… while at this chapter you know actually what you need to do, there nothing about it that is clear or even slightly clear how to be accomplished, in a more understandable sense, you need mechanical things you know only their names but these names either too alien for my knowledge or really just alien.
and as if the designer knows that he got me very well by the balls, he now shows me a map and short cuts finally to everywhere, as a kinda consolation present to this situation, i can visit even the older places in the previous chapters and maybe stumble over what i don’t know what i am looking for.
i wished this chapter to end after a half-hour, tho there were things to tackle with still that may result in some clue, i couldn’t last, and it was for good or bad the walkthrough i used i didnt read anything that made think once if i only had some patience i would have solved it and finished it myself, which is a feeling i get every time i use a walkthrough, but not this time

i would give 3/5 but i am not sure why or if it needs to be a little more bit down-rated aswel, but i think i would really give it 2.5/5 as to say the game has only succeeded in what the hell its dev wanted it to be, but just about.

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Advie - 23 August 2020 03:16 PM

strange, it seems only me who didn’t like Truberbrook, and you are the 2nd Celebreon, who i read praising it here, no one really talks about.

No, you aren’t the only one. It’s one of my rare DNF games.  Graphical element was the only one that worked for me, otherwise, it’s a slog.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

DCast - 23 August 2020 03:29 PM
Advie - 23 August 2020 03:16 PM

No, you aren’t the only one. It’s one of my rare DNF games.  Graphical element was the only one that worked for me, otherwise, it’s a slog.

yeah, i really hate to see promising ags go waste, esp big-time like here.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Just finished the CPT of Anna’s Quest! What a lovely, lovely game that was - instant-classic material in my book. From the gorgeous animation to the music to the meticulously layered depth of the story, it’s such a wonderful fairy tale with a brilliant main character. I also quite love the fact that the game manages to make you feel sorry for the villain, making her a fleshed-out character. And bonus points for the bittersweet feel of the ending. Top notch game!

Anna’s Quest - 4.5/5

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

^
That Advie bloke was advocating for that game for years. Guess I’ll try it then…

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

D.C. Connection (iOS): Third/fourth game in Riverhillsoft’s J.B. Harold series (fourth game, but numbered as “3” because Kiss of Murder is considered a parallel world version of Manhattan Requiem). Plays basically the same as previous J.B.s and other Riverhillsoft adventures written by Rika Suzuki (of Another Code/Hotel Dusk): you go around questioning lot of people about a lot of subjects (the main story is about the murder on J.B.‘s police chief Walter Edwards in Washington D.C.), you activate some minor story flag which allows you to question a lot of people about a lot of subjects again, rinse and repeat. New in this game is that you gain the cooperation of a few allies, like a taxi driver who can shadow suspects for you. Got stuck rather often this time because I missed small story flags, and I couldn’t find any walkthrough/(finished) Let’s Play either: the hint book that came with the PC-98 release which someone put on Archive.org was helpful because there was nothing else available, but there were a few times I simply had to ‘pixel hunt’ by doing every dialogue with every character again in the hopes of stumbling upon the necessary flags…

Had to find an old phone to play this one by the way, as the app had not been updated for years and can’t be played in current iOS versions. It’s the best version of the game (no game-breaking bugs, great art and music!), but not available for purchase anymore (project EGG has the old PC versions), and while ports of the previous three games have been published on Switch (based on the iOS versions), this one strangely enough still hasn’t gotten a Switch port (though what I really want are Switch ports based on the iOS version of Blue Chicago Blues and the cellphone-only sequels…)

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

Celebreon - 23 August 2020 02:01 PM

Lets be honest about getting the suit of armor (first, why?!)

I asked myself the same question. Unless it’s lined with insulation underneath the plates, wearing that thing to send a high voltage current is surely a death sentence.

Physicists can be really quite dense sometimes.  Tongue

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

TimovieMan - 26 August 2020 07:24 PM

Just finished the CPT of Anna’s Quest! What a lovely, lovely game that was - instant-classic material in my book. From the gorgeous animation to the music to the meticulously layered depth of the story, it’s such a wonderful fairy tale with a brilliant main character. I also quite love the fact that the game manages to make you feel sorry for the villain, making her a fleshed-out character. And bonus points for the bittersweet feel of the ending. Top notch game!

Anna’s Quest - 4.5/5

yeah, Really belong to the classic years of the genre, the game should have won the Aggies that year as well, but for its bad luck, Stasis, which was as good as it, maybe a little bit more exciting for its unusual adventure gaming theme rather than what Anna’s is; a straight fairy tale (with a pinch spice).
however, i mean it wasn’t that it lacked any quality to make it the best, but voting’s coins flip that handled Stasis the privilege after all.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

TimovieMan - 21 August 2020 07:32 PM

I’ve replayed Simon the Sorcerer II: The Lion, the Wizard and the Wardrobe for the first time since playing it in the mid-90s…..but it must have slipped my mind what an utter obnoxious dick Simon really is…

Doesn’t this fact make the game’s ending all the more enjoyable though?  Crazy

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Sefir - 28 August 2020 06:35 AM

Doesn’t this fact make the game’s ending all the more enjoyable though?  Crazy

But then it loses it’s “Empire Strikes Back”-type feel… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

But then it loses it’s “Empire Strikes Back”-type feel…

Speaking of this, I just finished The Game of Thrones” and it ended on a major cliff hanger ending after 6 episodes and sadly, we are not getting another game unlike Star Wars. I still enjoyed the game, a compelling story and likeable characters, but no closure at all, at least with the ending I got. I’ll have to replay the game and try for a different ending.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Mikekelly - 28 August 2020 11:35 AM

...... I just finished The Game of Thrones” and it ended on a major cliff hanger ending after 6 episodes and sadly, we are not getting another game unlike Star Wars. I still enjoyed the game, a compelling story and likeable characters, but no closure at all, at least with the ending I got. I’ll have to replay the game and try for a different ending. Heart

I was completely addicted to GoT on the TV but made a point of not reading George. R. Martin’s books & most definitely of not playing any game version. There was no acceptable ending & lack of closure for me at the ending of the TV series either. The most globally disappointing disappointment ever I would say. So, thank you it was interesting to read your opinion of the game! Thumbs Up    Smile

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Finished The Cat Lady which I had started loooong time ago, got stuck during the first chapter, felt too depressed and disgusted and decided to leave the game for better times. 7 years later I finally played through all 7 chapters and left the game VERY impressed. I know it was praised a lot at the time, there was even a community playthrough which I missed, but better late than never.

It’s amazing how much one passionate game designer could accomplish. A fairly long adventure chock full of twists, nightmares and personal dramas that go way beyond your usual “Oh, I’m so sad, I lost my beloved and will talk about it non-stop”. It’s very grim, of course, in fact too much for me, and this is the only downside I can think of. I’m ok with horror, but I find all those over-the-top maniacs torturing their defenseless victims more irritating and tasteless than horrific, no matter the context.

But then the story is multilayered and adult, with all those back-and-force jumps, dreams and trips. We are even allowed to navigate characters while they are telling their stories. My favourite was the so-called legend of the Cat Widow with Susan sharing it with Mitzi while playing a prank on that grumpy guy. I laughed out loud trying all the options and watching as they got materialiased, like the giant zombie cat.

The game is probably the most visually varied and effective AGS game I’ve played, close to art, from rendered photos of clear sky and water to grey houses to hellish red and lsd-like visions. While puzzles were pretty easy, solving them was very satisfying since it always resulted in some new interesting or horrible twist. Again, that 6th chapter with Susan and Mitzi exploring the neighborhood was the best adventure-wise. I also thought it was pretty cool to see a dark, “sick” version of the Maniac Mansion mansion.

Well, there were plenty memorable moments, including the ending, I replayed some of them for different, often curious results. That’s my idea of replayability compared to Shivah or Unawoved (for some reason I kept comparing Cat Lady to the Wadjet Eye games along the way, thinking how a one-man Polish AGS game did this or that so much better). Guess I’ll need another year or two (well, maybe a month) to calm down and play Lorelai by Harvester Games. Now I seriously need something to brighten me up.

PC means personal computer

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top