• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

danigarTimovieMan

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] Time for a new community playthrough?

Total Posts: 2986

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

These are the proposals thus far.

Inherit the Earth
Dreamfall
Spycraft
Full Throttle
Dragonsphere
Sanitarium
The 7th Guest
Discworld
The Cat Lady
The Pandora Directive

An official voting will take place in 18/11. Feel free to post all your proposals.

And of course, don’t forget our Uncle Sam

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

As I voted for Inherit the Earth last time, I will vote for it again.

Also:

Freddy Pharkus Frontier Pharmacist (Think of it as an Al Lowe game. Not one by Josh Mandel.)

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Sefir - 12 November 2013 05:16 PM

An official voting will take place in 18/11.

Officals have officially appointed YOU as the official who officially determines when the official voting takes place? Awsome. I’m just playing games to have fun.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Sefir - 12 November 2013 03:40 AM

Not as complex as it would have been with 48 different “Time for a new playthrough” threads though. Scrolling back in one thread is far easier than searching all the forums history for specific threads in a “What we should do now” situations. After all, you don’t need to scroll back to propose a game. There is already a list with the playthroughs played in Tim’s reccomendation list.

I think you miss my point. The title of the thread is “Time for a NEW community playthrough?”

Yes, Tim’s list lists all of the previous playthroughs, but that doesn’t mean we need to keep a record of the voting processes that resulted in same.

I’m thinking of a simple “leapfrog” system. Eliminate messages except those that resulted in the current playthrough. Then, once the current playthrough is finished, those messages become the basis for a NEW vote for the next game. And anyone can add to the list of candidates.

I think your premise is that people are interested in who voted for what game as the CPT #2, and so we should keep building rather than make the thread more efficient.

Personally, I am only interested in three playthroughs. One: the one I just finished playing. Two: the one I am currently playing. (Or, in my case the one I wish I had a chance to play.) Three: the one I would like to play next. Everything else just takes up space.

But, you are the one that makes these decisions.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

rtrooney - 12 November 2013 08:52 PM

Everything else just takes up space.

A truer word has never been spoken!

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

How about also putting The Pandora Directive on the list.
I might even still be persuaded into leading that playthrough.

Edit: Regarding the suggestion by rtrooney, then I wouldn’t mind such a leapfrog system, but it seems to me, that it would required a moderator to do a lot of work keeping the thread clean. Also having a moderator deleting posts en masse, is not an idea I’m generally comfortable with.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I’m interested in The Cat Lady too. The rest are not impossible either.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I think you miss my point….

Ahh..now I see what you mean. It is not a bad idea, it just needs what Izno mentioned (a moderator deleting posts)

But, you are the one that makes these decisions.

Of course not!! We take the decisions altogether!!
I’m just the member who happened to monitor the last 3 votings!!

EDIT: From the aforementioned games, the only game that I would be interested (or could) lead is The Cat Lady. I would join in almost any playthrough though…

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Sefir - 12 November 2013 03:40 AM

Not as complex as it would have been with 48 different “Time for a new playthrough” threads though. Scrolling back in one thread is far easier than searching all the forums history for specific threads in a “What we should do now” situations. After all, you don’t need to scroll back to propose a game. There is already a list with the playthroughs played in Tim’s reccomendation list.

I think you miss my point. The title of the thread is “Time for a NEW community playthrough?”

Yes, Tim’s list lists all of the previous playthroughs, but that doesn’t mean we need to keep a record of the voting processes that resulted in same.

I’m thinking of a simple “leapfrog” system. Eliminate messages except those that resulted in the current playthrough. Then, once the current playthrough is finished, those messages become the basis for a NEW vote for the next game. And anyone can add to the list of candidates.

I think your premise is that people are interested in who voted for what game as the CPT #2, and so we should keep building rather than make the thread more efficient.

Personally, I am only interested in three playthroughs. One: the one I just finished playing. Two: the one I am currently playing. (Or, in my case the one I wish I had a chance to play.) Three: the one I would like to play next. Everything else just takes up space.

I think it would be a lot of work for a moderator to sift through & eliminate messages also I agree with Sefir that starting a new post for each CP would be quite complex.

If it’s a matter of just being able to see what games have been nominated before, maybe whoever continues the thread for a new CP (in this case Sefir) could copy & paste the list of suggested games preceding the current playthrough minus the names (possibly though to include the no of votes?) & add any foreseen problems mentioned under the title of each, which could all be carried over. Would that work?

EDIT: Would it be also useful to carry over game suggestions that are rejected with the reasons why?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Iznogood - 12 November 2013 09:26 PM

Regarding the suggestion by rtrooney, then I wouldn’t mind such a leapfrog system, but it seems to me, that it would required a moderator to do a lot of work keeping the thread clean.

Fortunately we have one on hand who’s OCD enough to do such a thing. Shifty Eyed Tongue

Also having a moderator deleting posts en masse, is not an idea I’m generally comfortable with.

Me neither, and I AM a moderator.

That’s why I’d rather put the first 30-some pages in a separate “archive” thread (that’s closed), while keeping only the voting rounds for the current CPT and the next CPT here in this active thread.
Whenever the current CPT is coming to an end, and a new CPT voting round is going to be started, we can put the previous CPT’s voting posts in the archive thread.

Not only does that avoid having to delete a whole bunch of posts, I’m also quite convinced that it’ll amount to less work than deletion would…

So…
Bad idea / not sure yet / go for it?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Perfect.  Go for it!

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

You have my blessing!  Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Done! Cool

Here’s the archived thread, btw.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Ahhh, excellent!

Well done Timo!

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

From one Tim to another…excellent work! Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread