• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

TimovieMan

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] Time for a new community playthrough?

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Zifnab - 03 September 2013 02:02 AM

I see no problem with buying on Ebay. Let’s leave the politics and morality out of it Thumbs Up

I think it is a misunderstanding. I believe what he meant to say is “Don’t download it illegally from various pirating/abandonware sites just because you consider it abandonware.” At least, that’s how I received it. For myself, I have no problem with every method that is considered legal (Ebay, Amazon, Writer’s site, etc).

rtrooney - 02 September 2013 06:57 PM

I see in a prior post that it can be ordered from the author, although a price wasn’t mentioned.

Actually, it is mentioned. It’s 32$+shipping costs

Description from the site:
I HAVE NO MOUTH, AND I MUST SCREAM: THE COMPUTER GAME
This is the adventure game Harlan helped design. CD-ROM, specify Macintosh or IBM PC on the order form. $32.00 each, adults only. You do not have to be a HERC member to order a game, just order via the book list indicating the game on the order form above.

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Bonsai - 02 September 2013 09:41 PM

I have not seen anywhere on the web where Harlan Ellison’s game is legitimately classified as “abandonware” nor a release from any of the parties involved. The other excuse I hear people complain all the time about is purchasing games from private sellers on Ebay, Amazon etc…...because the money doesn’t supporter the originators of the game.

Well here’s your chance!  Buy a legit copy and support the storyteller at the same time:

Harlan Ellison’s Website

Thank you.

I’m against people endorsing illegal methods here, but at the same time you shouldn’t tell us what to do.

Let’s leave the politics and morality out of it Thumbs Up

I won’t be silent when gamers are endorsing and participating in illegal activities on this site.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Guys, remember the forum policy:

No pirated software
We have a zero tolerance policy on pirated software. Any messages soliciting or promoting warez will be immediately deleted and posting privileges will be revoked.

No abandonware
We also kindly request that you do not post links to so-called ‘abandonware’. Although we sympathize with the preservation of games that have gone out of print, we choose not to tread any murky legal ground.

Please keep the abandonware talk to a bare minimum…

Sefir - 03 September 2013 02:30 AM

I have no problem with every method that is considered legal (Ebay, Amazon, Writer’s site, etc).

These are considered legal for a reason. Any of these methods for acquiring a game is fine. Thumbs Up

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2005-07-29

PM

Has anyone had any experience with buying from the authors site? Specifically with getting it shipped internationally?

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

TimovieMan - 03 September 2013 11:34 AM

Please keep the abandonware talk to a bare minimum…

Well I will keep it at a bare minimum, and just quote Tim Schafer on the subject:

“Is it piracy? Yeah, sure. But so what? Most of the game makers aren’t living off the revenue from those old games anymore. Most of the creative teams behind all those games have long since left the companies that published them, so there’s no way the people who deserve to are still making royalties off them. So go ahead—steal this game! Spread the love!”

As I said previously, personally I have no scruples about abandonware, as long it is truly something that has been abounded and not just an old game.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

Be careful, y’all! Harlan Ellison is notoriously litigious (this uniquely American quality…) so don’t you dare steal his stuff! Be ready to pay as much as he demands on his website via whatever method he deems appropriate (at least you don’t have to go and buy it in person at his LA home). Smile

Seriously now, does anyone know for sure that he even has the rights to be selling the game?

[Edit: Poking around a little further, I think I convinced myself that he does hold the rights for the game. At least indirectly.]

Karmillo - 03 September 2013 12:34 PM

Has anyone had any experience with buying from the authors site? Specifically with getting it shipped internationally?

I would very much like to know the answer to this as well!

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Sefir - 03 September 2013 02:30 AM

I see no problem with buying on Ebay. Let’s leave the politics and morality out of it Thumbs Up

I think it is a misunderstanding. I believe what he meant to say is “Don’t download it illegally from various pirating/abandonware sites just because you consider it abandonware.” At least, that’s how I received it. For myself, I have no problem with every method that is considered legal (Ebay, Amazon, Writer’s site, etc).

I read the post again and it seemed to me like he was attacking any method that doesn’t end up with money in the developer’s hands. There are many legitimate ways to play a game, even borrowing it off a friend.

Bonsai - 03 September 2013 10:16 AM

I won’t be silent when gamers are endorsing and participating in illegal activities on this site.

Nonsense. You were attacking anyone who wasn’t “supporting the storyteller”. Why mention Ebay and Amazon?

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

TerminusEst - 03 September 2013 01:24 PM

Seriously now, does anyone know for sure that he even has the rights to be selling the game?

I also did a bit of Google research, and it is not clear at all who has the rights, if anybody actually has them, there is a document in some US copyright database that seems to indicate that he has at least some rights, or perhaps just have applied for it???

But what is clear is that when Cyberdreams went the way of the dodo, they owed him some money for royalties and as part of a settlement he got a stack of the games (and a stack of mousepads), so it is this stack of the original boxes he is selling and not freshly made copies, at least that is what I assume.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Karmillo - 03 September 2013 12:34 PM

Not me! I bought it almost 2 years ago from a local store that frequently sells copies of old games. Had I known Harlan Ellison’s site however, I would have given it a try (I think I bought it for around 60 Euro).

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2005-07-29

PM

Iznogood - 03 September 2013 02:31 PM

But what is clear is that when Cyberdreams went the way of the dodo, they owed him some money for royalties and as part of a settlement he got a stack of the games (and a stack of mousepads), so it is this stack of the original boxes he is selling and not freshly made copies, at least that is what I assume.

Well at least there’s some basis to why he would have a bunch of copies to sell on his site, I’m just a bit worried that with the crazy prices on ebay and amazon why haven’t they all been bought up by now?
I’ve emailed the webmaster to see if they still have any copies in stock, although I’m still a bit iffy about mailing a check to america…but then again it’s either that or I could go for this bargain

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Karmillo - 03 September 2013 04:34 PM

I ordered from them a few years ago and despite their arcane website and not being sure whether they were sending out the version that included the mousepad and not finding a quick way to ask the question, I ordered the game and another pad to be sure.  I even seem to recall paying for it with a check, which I found odd, but since this was a few years ago, maybe they have finally joined the rest of the world and can now process credit cards or PayPal.

The order was delivered in a reasonable time, although I’m now not sure if they even gave me an expected delivery date and the game did include the pad, so I now have two. 

I can’t speak for overseas shipping or even if they will, but if you’re comfortable with possible unknowns, I’d give it a try.

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Zifnab - 03 September 2013 02:18 PM

Nonsense. You were attacking anyone who wasn’t “supporting the storyteller”. Why mention Ebay and Amazon?

Some Wizards do grow old and forgetful.  What I stated, which Sefir seemed to understand, is the last time the subject of piracy came up, you had an issue with giving money to resellers on Ebay, Amazon etc… because your money wasn’t going directly into the hands of the developers:

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/92/P390

So I stated here’s your opportunity to give it directly to Harlan.

Total Posts: 173

Joined 2012-08-06

PM

Karmillo - 03 September 2013 03:18 PM

Well at least there’s some basis to why he would have a bunch of copies to sell on his site, I’m just a bit worried that with the crazy prices on ebay and amazon why haven’t they all been bought up by now?

That’s just it, the prices are crazy and I’d really be surprised if any have changed hands recently, especially the ones described as new. It’s a given that there probably isn’t a huge audience for this kind of thing but I would have to conclude that those who are would at least do a bit of research before shelling out over $120 (Amazon) $300 (eBay) for the item.

Dara100 - 03 September 2013 04:00 PM

The order was delivered in a reasonable time, although I’m now not sure if they even gave me an expected delivery date and the game did include the pad, so I now have two.

I too was wondering the same thing. Good to hear. Anyone tried, like say, to acquire some other means of contacting the source?

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.

Give a man a rod and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day. - USA Network

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

RayB - 03 September 2013 04:43 PM

That’s just it, the prices are crazy and I’d really be surprised if any have changed hands recently, especially the ones described as new. It’s a given that there probably isn’t a huge audience for this kind of thing but I would have to conclude that those who are would at least do a bit of research before shelling out over $120 (Amazon) $300 (eBay) for the item.

I lucked out and found one at a local eBay-like site (Kapaza, pretty well-known in Belgium) in July. “Only” 40€, too, which was a more-than-decent price to pay considering how costly it is elsewhere (even if it’s still a lot to pay for a ‘90s PC game)...

Still, I preferred that to Ellison’s snail mail methods. He really should get with the times, especially considering how much that guy seems to love money…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

TimovieMan - 03 September 2013 05:03 PM

....considering how much that guy seems to love money…

Did I miss something?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top