• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] Time for a new community playthrough?

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

What’s wrong with retro?  Confused

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Oscar - 01 September 2013 09:15 PM

What’s wrong with retro?  Confused

Haven’t you heard? Retro is evil. I personally don’t read books or listen to music or play games older than 10 years.  Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Shhesh, some people are so touchy. Reductio absurdum arguments are a waste of time. If you want to play pixelated games, go right ahead.  I’m still entitled to my opinion.  I never cared for them when they were new and still don’t now.

Edit:  Yes, I played my fair share and enjoyed a lot of them when that was all that was available but always longed for the day when graphics would catch up with the great stories.  Indiana Jones was one of my favs.

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Sefir - 01 September 2013 01:17 AM
Iznogood - 31 August 2013 04:58 PM

I know we normally don’t play recent releases…..

Nostalgia and the fact that someone probably wouldn’t bother to obtain and play an older game if it wasn’t the community playthrough (as opposed to rescent releases, where most players will play them themselves whatever happens anyway), is perhaps the reason for that.

As much as Memoria is a great suggestion for a playthrough Iznogood, I’m planning to play the game anyway (without the structure of the CP) & so agree with Sefir on that!

Apart from A Vampyre Story which I already had (& enjoyed so much more a 2nd time around through the CP) I would never have obtained & experienced Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon & Obsidian (so far) if it were not for the CPs, both produced before I started playing games on PC in 2000 - just 2 of many made for PC! 

rtrooney - 29 August 2013 10:45 PM

Well, ITE is available on GOG. So, assuming this might be the one, I get to test game worthiness of a new GOG download. I really hope this game gets the votes as there are none other that get my interest juices flowing.

If the game gets voted for rtrooney, I will certainly buy it & join in (if it works!) - it has piqued my interest, but I’m so keen to play IHNMAIMS as I obtained it in anticipation of it winning last time! & I already have Discworld, I’m restricting my votes this time!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

chrissie - 02 September 2013 12:47 PM

I’m so keen to play IHNMAIMS as I obtained it in anticipation of it winning last time!

Hehe, me too! Tongue

The same went for Obsidian… Smile

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Zifnab - 31 August 2013 09:42 PM

I’ll play Memoria eventually but it seems like the kind of game I’d whiz through in a weekend, just like Chains of Satinav was. Iznogood has finished it already and it was only released yesterday. An easy, fairly mindless fantasy game isn’t really good material for a CPT.

Zifnab - 02 September 2013 12:29 PM

Well, I managed to get stuck. And using the bandage on the hook is not the solution, I just tried it.

Wink

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

chrissie - 02 September 2013 12:47 PM
Sefir - 01 September 2013 01:17 AM
Iznogood - 31 August 2013 04:58 PM

I know we normally don’t play recent releases…..

Nostalgia and the fact that someone probably wouldn’t bother to obtain and play an older game if it wasn’t the community playthrough (as opposed to rescent releases, where most players will play them themselves whatever happens anyway), is perhaps the reason for that.

As much as Memoria is a great suggestion for a playthrough Iznogood, I’m planning to play the game anyway (without the structure of the CP) & so agree with Sefir on that!

Apart from A Vampyre Story which I already had (& enjoyed so much more a 2nd time around through the CP) I would never have obtained & experienced Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon & Obsidian (so far) if it were not for the CPs, both produced before I started playing games on PC in 2000 - just 2 of many made for PC!

Fair enough.
I did realize that many would probably prefer to play new releases on their own, in their own pace. And if I hadn’t already played it very fast after the release, then I would probably also have preferred to play it on my own.

But if you don’t ask the question you don’t get the answers. At least now I know why most prefer to play old games in the CP.

Total Posts: 5050

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

It looks like IHNMAIMS will get the nod. I’m not planning on playing, but I thought I should cover my bases. The game is available on Amazon…at collector prices, so that’s out of the question. It also shows up on several sites as abandonware, but I’m not certain about either the safety or legality of downloading from those sites. Thoughts? And it seems that either DOSBox or ScummV will work, (Oh Joy!,) so, is there a preference.

I see in a prior post that it can be ordered from the author, although a price wasn’t mentioned. That said, snail mail to and fro would likely have the game arriving sometime around when the CP concludes. So that isn’t an option either.

Of those who will be playing, do you already have a copy? If not, where do you plan on getting yours?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

rtrooney - 02 September 2013 06:57 PM

Of those who will be playing, do you already have a copy? If not, where do you plan on getting yours?

Personally I already have a copy, but if I hadn’t, then I wouldn’t have any scruples about getting it from one of those sites. I however wont elaborate more on this, as it is not something we are suppose to talk about in this forum.

I can however add that I plan on playing it using ScummVM.

Total Posts: 173

Joined 2012-08-06

PM

I believe I had it running correctly with DosBox a while back. Probably a good idea to double-check on that. Good thing I saved the instructions.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.

Give a man a rod and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day. - USA Network

Total Posts: 5050

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’ll wait for the next vote. Attempted DLs from various sites had my AVG spiking. One wanted me to DL a new and improved version of ZIP. Really? Have fun! I will be monitoring just for the fun of it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

rtrooney - 02 September 2013 09:04 PM

I’ll wait for the next vote. Attempted DLs from various sites had my AVG spiking. One wanted me to DL a new and improved version of ZIP. Really? Have fun! I will be monitoring just for the fun of it.

You are using the wrong sites then, the sites I use for abandonware is all very well behaved without any shenanigans.

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I have not seen anywhere on the web where Harlan Ellison’s game is legitimately classified as “abandonware” nor a release from any of the parties involved. The other excuse I hear people complain all the time about is purchasing games from private sellers on Ebay, Amazon etc…...because the money doesn’t supporter the originators of the game.

Well here’s your chance!  Buy a legit copy and support the storyteller at the same time:

Harlan Ellison’s Website

Thank you.

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

rtrooney - 02 September 2013 06:57 PM

snail mail to and fro would likely have the game arriving sometime around when the CP concludes.

That’s not something major to worry about. The time needed for copies to arrive in the majority of the players + the time needed to bypass any technical problems are always taken into consideration from the leaders when a playthrough is taking place. After all, if IHNMAIMS is voted, it will be a slow pace playthrough with 6 chapters (10 days/chapter).

Bonsai - 02 September 2013 09:41 PM

I have not seen anywhere on the web where Harlan Ellison’s game is legitimately classified as “abandonware” nor a release from any of the parties involved. The other excuse I hear people complain all the time about is purchasing games from private sellers on Ebay, Amazon etc…...because the money doesn’t supporter the originators of the game.

Well here’s your chance!  Buy a legit copy and support the storyteller at the same time:

Harlan Ellison’s Website

Thank you.

Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Bonsai - 02 September 2013 09:41 PM

Harlan Ellison’s Website

Thank you.

I’m against people endorsing illegal methods here, but at the same time you shouldn’t tell us what to do.

Most of the games I play, CDs I listen to and books I read I get from local libraries, not buying. No money goes to the creator but as long as it’s legal you should accept our choices.

I see no problem with buying on Ebay. Let’s leave the politics and morality out of it Thumbs Up

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top