• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] Time for a new community playthrough?

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2004-01-25

PM

wilco - 29 August 2013 06:05 PM

I have seen that (weird) site. I’m not quite sure how the orders work, filling a form and mailing a check?

Mr. Ellison doesn’t like computers. Or the Internet. So has to make things difficult for us I guess. I was going to say I don’t know how reliable sending the form off would be considering the site doesn’t seem to have been updated in years; but it seems Mr. Ellison has been active on their forums only recently. How he got his typewriter hooked up to the internet, is another question though.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Toefur - 30 August 2013 05:33 AM

How he got his typewriter hooked up to the internet, is another question though.

LOL! Grin

So true… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 173

Joined 2012-08-06

PM

Tough call here.

Discworld is popular on the list but difficult to find reasonably priced.
Not sure about Mission Critical or Rama.

After a lot of thought this is what I’m going to do. Put me in for ITE and also for IHNMAIMS. In the event that ITE garners more votes than Discworld I would be inclined to retract my vote for IHNMAIMS if that’s permissible.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.

Give a man a rod and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day. - USA Network

Total Posts: 2987

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Update

I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream: (Sefir leader), TimovieMan, Karmillo, Iznogood, Kasper F. Nielsen, chrissie, TerminusEst, badlemon, RayB
Discworld: Timovieman, Kurufinwe, Karmillo, Iznogood, Kasper F. Nielsen, chrissie (optional), Oscar, wilco
Fahrenheit: (Kurufinwe leader), TimovieMan, wilco
Tex Murphy: Under A Killing Moon: (Sefir leader), Kurufinwe, Iznogood, wilco
Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive: (Iznogood leader), Sefir, wilco
Mission Critical: TimovieMan, Karmillo, Kurufinwe, TerminusEst
RAMA: (Zifnab leader), Iznogood, Sefir, Oscar
Inherit the Earth: Karmillo, Kurufinwe, TimovieMan, wilco, rtrooney, TerminusEst, RayB

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Advie - 19 August 2013 04:12 PM

Ahem* did it ever happened in the history of playthrough on AG that we can arrange playing an up to date game, i mean like with Memoria coming out at the last of this month members here can arrange to launch and start it all together at the same time ?

Even if Advie posted this in the wrong thread, then how about it?

I know we normally don’t play recent releases, but doing so will solve a lot of problems.
There is no problems getting a copy of the game, it runs out of the box on modern systems, and there is most likely a lot of people who would be playing it anyway!

There is of course also some down sides, some might already have started it or even finished playing it, and others might be too eager to play it to wait for the relative slow pace of a CP, but if enough are either prepared for an immediate replay or to wait then it might be possible.

I have just finished Memoria myself, so it would seem like an unlikely candidate for me to propose, but it is sooo good that I’m already planning a replay, and it would be fun to do it in a CP.

Also Memoria is:

A) A great game that has everything you could possible want in a AG. Interesting well designed puzzles that are neither impossibly hard nor too easy, a compelling well written story, outstanding beautiful graphics etc.

B) A lot of lore, background story and elements open for interpretation, so there is a lot to talk about in the thread.

C) Conveniently divided into 8 chapters so it can easily be broken into parts.

D) The best adventure game released in the recent years.

So as a late candidate I’m proposing Memoria for the next CP, and will even volunteer to lead the playthrough.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I didn’t plan on joining another playthrough until I’m through with Keepsake, but what the heck (and I have a feeling I would need some more games to keep me relaxed after the puzzles in the upper Academy Grin) - I might join several playthroughs listed here (IHNMAIMS is on my radar for some time, Discworld 1 would be nice to replay and finish the second one after it, any Tex Murphy would be “the last chance” to tackle the series before the new game, RAMA is a unique game for sure, anything from Legend is a must play, Inherit the Earth seems interesting), but as for now I’m backing Iznogood on Memoria, because it would be interesting to have a brand new game playthrough for a change, and I’ve just recently finished Chains of Satinav.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 5050

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I think that a CPT of Memoria kind of violates the concept of a CPT. It already has it’s own thread for heaven’s sake. Is the CPT going to duplicate everything that’s going on there? I think that would be a bad idea.

Not sure whether I can do this, but in the spirit of Chicago’s “Vote early! Vote often!” I’m casting another vote for ITE.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Put me down for ITE as well.

I’ll play Memoria eventually but it seems like the kind of game I’d whiz through in a weekend, just like Chains of Satinav was. Iznogood has finished it already and it was only released yesterday. An easy, fairly mindless fantasy game isn’t really good material for a CPT.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Zifnab - 31 August 2013 09:42 PM

...Iznogood has finished it already and it was only released yesterday. An easy, fairly mindless fantasy game isn’t really good material for a CPT.

It is fantasy, but it is neither easy nor mindless.

And it wasn’t released yesterday, but more then 2 days ago (about 51 hours ago from this post). I didn’t time how long it took me, but I played it in three sessions starting with a couple of hours Thursday night, and will estimate that it took me at least 20 hours, which is longer then most recent games.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 2987

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Update

I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream: (Sefir leader), TimovieMan, Karmillo, Iznogood, Kasper F. Nielsen, chrissie, TerminusEst, badlemon, RayB, Toefur
Discworld: Timovieman, Kurufinwe, Karmillo, Iznogood, Kasper F. Nielsen, chrissie (optional), Oscar, wilco
Fahrenheit: (Kurufinwe leader), TimovieMan, wilco
Tex Murphy: Under A Killing Moon: (Sefir leader), Kurufinwe, Iznogood, wilco
Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive: (Iznogood leader), Sefir, wilco
Mission Critical: TimovieMan, Karmillo, Kurufinwe, TerminusEst
RAMA: (Zifnab leader), Iznogood, Sefir, Oscar
Inherit the Earth: Karmillo, Kurufinwe, TimovieMan, wilco, rtrooney, TerminusEst, RayB, zifnab
Memoria: (Iznogood leader), diego, Sefir

Strong race thus far as we enter the last week of voting. IHNMAIMS is in front with 10 votes. ITE and Disc are just 2 votes behind (and more importantly, they both need a leader Tongue)!

Iznogood - 31 August 2013 04:58 PM

I know we normally don’t play recent releases…..

It’s not that we haven’t tried, but they don’t get voted that easily. For example, The Cat Lady was one of the proposals in the previous votings. Nostalgia and the fact that someone probably wouldn’t bother to obtain and play an older game if it wasn’t the community playthrough (as opposed to rescent releases, where most players will play them themselves whatever happens anyway), is perhaps the reason for that.

Iznogood - 31 August 2013 04:58 PM

The best adventure game released in the recent years.

Well, that’s a bit subjective opinion, but I haven’t played the game yet. I like your enthusiasm though. Added to the list.

diego - 31 August 2013 05:13 PM

I didn’t plan on joining another playthrough until I’m through with Keepsake…

I’m still waiting for you to finish CCS and write your final thoughts in the game’s playthrough!

rtrooney - 31 August 2013 09:14 PM

I think that a CPT of Memoria kind of violates the concept of a CPT. It already has it’s own thread for heaven’s sake.

No, it doesn’t. It is very different having a playthrough where a game is discussed thouroughtly chapter by chapter, both for helping each other to move forward and for better understanding of the game from players who play it together, from a thread where there is general discussion for the same game.

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2004-01-25

PM

Okay, I’m down for IHNMAIMS.

Inherit the Earth looks… weird?

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

I’m not sure what my schedule will be, but I suspect I may be too busy to play, so I think it’s only fair that I recuse myself from voting.  I may be a stealth player though acording to which game is chosen.

Toefur, I agree that Inherit the Earth looks…extremely retro?  I’m not likely to lay out funds for that one.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I think ITE looks a bit retro as well. But it is RETRO! The graphics are totally appropriate to the era in which it was created.

I, unlike others, only voted for one game.

So we’ll see what happens.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Toefur - 01 September 2013 02:03 AM

Inherit the Earth looks… weird?

How?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Dara100 - 01 September 2013 04:13 PM

I’m not likely to lay out funds for that one.

$5.99 on GOG!!

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top