• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoLady Kestrelwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] Time for a new community playthrough?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

It’s one of the free games you get when opening a GOG account. See here.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Beneath a Steel Sky (6) - SoccerDude, TimovieMan, Luhr28, Henke, Subbi, Mikekelly

Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars (4) - Doom (leader), TimovieMan, Subbi, Lady Kestrel
Catyph: The Kunci Experiment (4) - Sir Beardalot (leader), TimovieMan, Lady Kestrel, Crabapple

The Journey Down, Ch. 1-3 (3) - SoccerDude, Lady Kestrel, TimovieMan
Lighthouse (3) - Rtrooney (leader), TimovieMan, Lady Kestrel
Still Life (3) - TimovieMan, Rtrooney, Crabapple
Tormentum: Dark Sorrow (3) - Lady Kestrel (leader), TimovieMan, Crabapple
Unavowed (3) - Mike Kelly (leader), SoccerDude, Henke

The Abbey/Murder in the Abbey director’s cut (1) - Advie

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Lady Kestrel - 30 March 2019 11:32 AM

Since I have a CD of Circle of Blood, which I may be able to run on one of my older Macs, so I’ll also vote for Broken Sword 1.  Does anyone know if there’s any difference between the two versions of the game other than the title?

As far as I know Lady Kestrel, Circle of Blood & The Shadow of the Templars are the titles by different publishers of releases for the US & UK/European respectively but are identical games & just a means of selling at different prices.
The version to watch out for with that game is The Director’s Cut which is not different but does have additional scenes, so which version are members suggesting for the playthrough?

I’ll probably try & join in with most of the games nominated so far if they win but meanwhile I’ll cast votes for: Lighthouse, Beneath a Steel Sky & The Abbey.    Smile

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

crabapple - 30 March 2019 09:17 PM

It’s been freeware since 2003 according to the Wikipedia.

You can download it from the ScummVM website, where they have both the floppy and CD version of Beneath a Steel Sky, as well as other games released as freeware.
https://www.scummvm.org/games/

Is there a difference between the two versions? Does anyone know which version was nominated? And is that the one everyone is voting for?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Beneath a Steel Sky (7) - SoccerDude, TimovieMan, Luhr28, Henke, Subbi, Mikekelly, Chrissie

Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars (4) - Doom (leader), TimovieMan, Subbi, Lady Kestrel
Catyph: The Kunci Experiment (4) - Sir Beardalot (leader), TimovieMan, Lady Kestrel, Crabapple
Lighthouse (4) - Rtrooney (leader), TimovieMan, Lady Kestrel, Chrissie

The Abbey/Murder in the Abbey director’s cut (2) - Advie, Chrissie

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

chrissie - 31 March 2019 02:28 PM

As far as I know Lady Kestrel, Circle of Blood & The Shadow of the Templars are the titles by different publishers of releases for the US & UK/European respectively but are identical games & just a means of selling at different prices.
The version to watch out for with that game is The Director’s Cut which is not different but does have additional scenes, so which version are members suggesting for the playthrough?

There is indeed no difference between Circle of Blood and The Shadow of the Templars, only the American title. The Director’s Cut is just a console port and a downgrade all the way through - they killed the epic opening, cut out some original content including puzzles, dialogues and death scenes (there are only few of them anyway), added lame scenes with Niko and out of place portraits during dialogues. And a very bad hint system. But if anyone wants to experience the DC playthrough, I can run it simultaneously, it is still the same game.

rtrooney - 31 March 2019 03:27 PM

Is there a difference between the two versions? Does anyone know which version was nominated? And is that the one everyone is voting for?

There is no difference, they are not even different versions, just the same old BASS.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

rtrooney - 31 March 2019 03:27 PM

The CD version had voiced dialogue.
According to Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beneath_a_steel_sky

For the voice acting, which is only included in the CD-ROM version, Revolution used actors from the Royal Shakespeare Company. Only two days were spent recording over five thousands lines of dialogue. Not pleased with the results, however, Revolution decided on a lengthy re-recording, and realized that voice actors should be used, rather than stage actors. As a result of this, the speech doesn’t always match the on-screen text, with English terms being Americanized.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Add me to Murder in the Abbey. Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Beneath a Steel Sky (7) - SoccerDude, TimovieMan, Luhr28, Henke, Subbi, Mikekelly, Chrissie

Lighthouse (4) - Rtrooney (leader), TimovieMan, Lady Kestrel, Chrissie

The Abbey/Murder in the Abbey director’s cut (3) - Advie, Chrissie, TimovieMan

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’ve never played, no know much about Beneath a Steel Sky other than what I’ve read in reviews. One thing I do know is that it’s free! So it’s likely I’ll give the playthrough a shot if it wins. That’s not a vote since, sight unseen, I can’t predict whether I’ll enjoy it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

It was just announced that a 3D VR port of Beneath a Steel Sky will be available later this month featuring enhanced graphics and new puzzles. This game will work with all PC HMD devices - for the play though I will be playing this version.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Mikekelly - 31 March 2019 09:08 PM

It was just announced that a 3D VR port of Beneath a Steel Sky will be available later this month featuring enhanced graphics and new puzzles. This game will work with all PC HMD devices - for the play though I will be playing this version.

Heart

I must have missed this, where did they announce it? Also will there be a PS VR version? And how will it work seeing that the original is a 2D game?

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

SoccerDude - 31 March 2019 11:35 PM

I must have missed this, where did they announce it? Also will there be a PS VR version? And how will it work seeing that the original is a 2D game?

See here. Wink

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

rtrooney - 31 March 2019 06:22 PM

I’ve never played, no know much about Beneath a Steel Sky other than what I’ve read in reviews. One thing I do know is that it’s free! So it’s likely I’ll give the playthrough a shot if it wins. That’s not a vote since, sight unseen, I can’t predict whether I’ll enjoy it.

Can you predict whether you’ll enjoy any game? I mostly just check out a few screens, maybe read a couple reviews and then make up my mind.

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

This is the fourth day that no new votes have been made.  Beneath a Steel Sky has 7 votes but no leader.  The next closest games, Broken Sword, Catyph, and Lighthouse, are tied at 4 votes each, and they all have leaders.  I will be away from my computer until later this evening.  If no one steps up to lead BaSS by then, we’ll start the tie-breaker round.

Carpe chocolate.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top