• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] Time for a new community playthrough?

Total Posts: 8469

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

cyfoyjvx - 04 October 2018 08:18 PM

Then again, it’s not really a serious poll anyway if the administrator is allowed to vote. Next time you should just pick a game out of a hat

“Administrator” is just another name for “Forum moderator”, and like Lady Kestrel says: moderators are members too. In fact, they’re forum members first and foremost and only break out the moderating stick when spam pops up or users start misbehaving.

The idea of the voting process here is just to find a game to play as a community, and where the greatest number of people would actually join and play. Nothing more.

It’s all in good fun and to have a great time playing a game in group.

It’s just that some people take the entire thing far too seriously… Smile

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

Lady Kestrel - 04 October 2018 08:37 PM

I’ll wait to hear from Advie.

Then again, it’s not really a serious poll anyway if the administrator is allowed to vote. Next time you should just pick a game out of a hat

Why not?  I’m a member here, and I’ve participated in quite a few of the playthroughs.  I have no agenda other than to keep the tally this time around, try to keep the controvery to a minimum, and to vote for the games I want to (and can) play.  (Not everything on the list is Mac compatible.) 

Well, it’s a bit like getting the fox to guard the henhouse. If being in charge of the votes means you get to make up the rules, decide whose vote counts, when the vote ends etc…

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Serious poll is serious business.

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

dumbeur - 05 October 2018 03:56 AM

Serious poll is serious business.

Serious poll? It’s a game site. Not a US presidential vote

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

cyfoyjvx - 05 October 2018 04:11 AM

Exactly!

I think your sarcasm meter may be defective. Wink

cyfoyjvx - 05 October 2018 03:26 AM

Well, it’s a bit like getting the fox to guard the henhouse. If being in charge of the votes means you get to make up the rules, decide whose vote counts, when the vote ends etc…

Please. It’s little more than keeping count of the votes.

She’s not making up the rules. If people treated this a little less seriously, we wouldn’t even need any rules, but alas that’s not the case. Every time we’ve tried to reach a consensus on certain rules we’ve had nothing but a big fight with no answers.
She’s not deciding whose vote counts or not. The idea is to only get votes for people who are actually planning on joining the CPT and playing along. So when a “questionable” vote is made (that may or may not have been made in jest), she just tries to get confirmation whether or not it’s a legitimate vote. Nothing more.
And she’s not really deciding when it ends either. She put up the period the voting would last in the beginning. It’s just when there’s been a long period of no new votes being made, that it starts to get iffy on whether or not we should close the poll or not (since it’s starting to become unlikely that new votes will come). This is merely to speed up the process somewhat so we can get to actually playing whatever game wins.

Frankly, this is exactly why everyone dreads being in charge of the voting process. It should be a simple job keeping count. Instead, the voting process is often like opening a can of worms.

You should be thanking Lady Kestrel for doing this, not questioning her.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

TimovieMan - 05 October 2018 04:28 AM
cyfoyjvx - 05 October 2018 04:11 AM

Exactly!

I think your sarcasm meter may be defective. Wink

cyfoyjvx - 05 October 2018 03:26 AM

Please. It’s little more than keeping count of the votes.

She’s not making up the rules. If people treated this a little less seriously, we wouldn’t even need any rules, but alas that’s not the case. Every time we’ve tried to reach a consensus on certain rules we’ve had nothing but a big fight with no answers.
She’s not deciding whose vote counts or not. The idea is to only get votes for people who are actually planning on joining the CPT and playing along. So when a “questionable” vote is made (that may or may not have been made in jest), she just tries to get confirmation whether or not it’s a legitimate vote. Nothing more.
And she’s not really deciding when it ends either. She put up the period the voting would last in the beginning. It’s just when there’s been a long period of no new votes being made, that it starts to get iffy on whether or not we should close the poll or not (since it’s starting to become unlikely that new votes will come). This is merely to speed up the process somewhat so we can get to actually playing whatever game wins.

Frankly, this is exactly why everyone dreads being in charge of the voting process. It should be a simple job keeping count. Instead, the voting process is often like opening a can of worms.

You should be thanking Lady Kestrel for doing this, not questioning her.

Please read my posts more carefully next time. I said I was not invested in anything here and was certainly not questioning her. However I’ve noticed arguing in past polls so just suggested ways to avoid that next time.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

cyfoyjvx - 05 October 2018 05:22 AM

However I’ve noticed arguing in past polls so just suggested ways to avoid that next time.

I doubt that’ll go away soon.
We’ve tried coming up with consistent rules before, but instead of reaching a consensus it made it all even more polarising. That’s the internet for you. Tongue

Whenever we try going for a consensus, I usually end up looking like this:

Grin

Total Posts: 5553

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Advie let me know via PM that he wasn’t serious about his vote for Post Mortem, and he also replied to my question about it in the thread.  Since I know he likes to joke around quite a bit, I suspected as much, but I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt. 

As TimovieMan said, members do get very invested in the games they want to play, and there have been some major kurfuffles in the past.  We do have a rough set of rules that we use:  3 weeks of voting with the option to shorten it if there’s no activity for several days and an additional week if there’s a tie.  I did ask at the beginning of this round for people to vote for the games they wanted to play and to keep the controversy to a minimum.  (I’m not holding my breath on the latter.)  Wink

Anyway, I’d like to keep the voting open until Monday, Oct. 8,  just to make sure our less frequently visiting members have seen the thread.  Here’s the current tally again:

Post Mortem (11) - MikeKelly (leader), Sir Beardalot, RTRooney, Intense Degree, Dumbeur, Wilco, SoccerDude, Crabapple, Lucien21, Kaubouter, TimovieMan

The Journey Down, Chapters 1-3 (10) - Wilco (leader), TimovieMan, Lucebend, SoccerDude, Doom, Dumbeur, Intense Degree, Lady Kestrel, Advie, Cyfoyjvx

Shivers 2 (8) - Sir Beardalot, Wilco, RTRooney, SoccerDude, Doom, Timovieman, Intense Degree, Crabapple

Amerzone (6) - Lady Kestrel (leader), Doom, Dumbeur, RTRooney, Wilco, TimovieMan
Broken Sword (6) - Intense Degree, Dumbeur, Wilco, TimovieMan, Doom, Lady Kestrel
Thimbleweed Park (6) - MikeKelly (leader), Wilco, RTRooney, Detective Mosley, Dumbeur, Lady Kestrel
Tormentum: Dark Sorrow (6) - Lady Kestrel (leader), TimovieMan, Crabapple, RTRooney, Sir Beardalot, Dumbeur

Catyph (5) - TimovieMan, RTRooney, Doom, Sir Beardalot, Crabapple
Unavowed (5) - MikeKelly (leader), Dumbeur, Wilco, SoccerDude, Detective Mosely

The Gardens Between (4) - Oscar, Lady Kestrel, RTRooney, Cyfoyjvx
Still Life (4) - RTRooney, Intense Degree, Crabapple, Kabouter

Detention (3) - Wilco, Dumbeur, SoccerDude

Sam & Max Season 3 (2) - Wilco, Lady Kestrel
Darkside Detective (2) - Wilco, Cyfoyjvx

Haunted (1) - MikeKelly (leader)

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 5030

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

TimovieMan - 05 October 2018 04:28 AM

She put up the period the voting would last in the beginning. It’s just when there’s been a long period of no new votes being made, that it starts to get iffy on whether or not we should close the poll or not (since it’s starting to become unlikely that new votes will come). This is merely to speed up the process somewhat so we can get to actually playing whatever game wins.

Exactly. But that is the one point where the “rules” of the AGCPT and CCPT differed. With the latter, of which I was the vote counter for many, many games, the rule was if there wasn’t any activity, other than basic conversation, for three consecutive days, the voting was over, and the current leader was the winner.

This happened quite frequently. For example, it was obvious that everyone wanted to play Enigmatis3 in order to complete the trilogy. There was some competition in the first week or so. But then it became obvious that E3 was what everyone wanted to play.

So, after the third, or maybe fourth day of no new votes or nominations, I declared Enigmatis 3 the winner. And we all went on to have a great playthrough.

That three-day rule thing was always part of the casual game playthrough rules.

I thought it had made its way into the AGCPT rules. But, apparently not.

Sorry.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I think the reason why that rule hasn’t really been adapted by the AGCPT, is because the people that vote in the AGCPT are only going to play the games they voted for. In the CCPT, practically everyone that voted was going to play whichever game won, no matter if they voted for it or not.
That makes a huge difference in the voting process.
The people that vote for a game here are more invested in their choices, so naturally the ones that don’t see their game win would have more issues with the voting process being cut short.
It’s also why there’s less drama in the CCPT votes. Smile

Total Posts: 5553

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Since there haven’t been any new nominations nor votes in more than a week, I think we can call Post Mortem the winner for the next playthrough.  MikeKelly will post the playthrough thread whenever he’s ready.  Have fun, everyone!  Smile

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2018-07-29

PM

I’ve only played two in the current list, Amerzone and Broken Sword. I know where my loyalty lies, since I’m a member of the Order of the Goat, even have the t-shirt from the Broken Sword Kick-starter.

Even though I played it in the past year, I’ll gladly tick that game up a bit.

While I wait for my latest Purchase to arrive, Rama.
I started but got stuck, even UHS wasn’t able to help, I guess I found a bug. Embarassed

Oh, looks like I should have scrolled down a bit further…

I tink, derefore, I am.
I tink

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I loaded Post Mortem today. I haven’t had a chance to test it yet. (I got it from GOG rather than set it up on my own.)

I will also post the following once MikeKelley gets the playthrough up and running:

There is a situation very early in the game where our protagonist, Gus MacPherson, needs to talk to the concierge at the hotel’s main desk. There are two possible directions to go in the dialogue tree. The direction you chose will determine the order in which the puzzles will present themselves. I think we should all play the same game. So I’m going to suggest that MikeKelley tell us which dialog tree he wants us to use.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i hope you guys finish Post Mortem before next year starts, for its gonna be a slow burner, just try to set strict rules or you (players) will stay at it forever outta of boredom. Smile

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

While Advie is on my ignore list, I do get email notifications of his posts. Regarding the long slog and hope we finish it before the end of the year .... well, that would only require that we finish in 2 1/2 months. CCTS started on January 30, 2013 and finished on May 30, 2013. That was a full four-month slog. But a very enjoyable one. I don’t think an end-date is required in order for the players to have a good time.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top