• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] Time for a new community playthrough?

Total Posts: 4255

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Fien - 28 January 2013 12:25 PM

If I, or someone else, posted literally everything you have to type in DOSbox (it really installs itself) to get Callahan’s working, would you do it? You would not be required to understand the DOS abracadabra you’re typing. Smile

Let me put it this way: you peel my potatoes and cook them - I’ll eat french fries like a freeloading bastard.
P.S. I have DOSBox 0.73.0.0 installed on my laptop.
P.P.S. I’m not even sure how you use the sodded thing (DB, not laptop).

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2011-01-12

PM

Fien - 28 January 2013 12:25 PM

SweetDalilah - 28 January 2013 11:18 AM

How hard would it be for the developers/publishers or some fan to make a Remastered/Special edition for Windows like they did with many other games

It would be a lot harder for them than it would be for you to learn how to use DOSbox.

Okay, question for SweetD and Zobraks: If I, or someone else, posted literally everything you have to type in DOSbox (it really installs itself) to get Callahan’s working, would you do it? You would not be required to understand the DOS abracadabra you’re typing. Smile

As I said before, I knew how to use DOS commands, (it was a pain in the arse though), but I have forgotten most of it. I guess I could learn it again, if someone would be willing to explain. The question is how much space DOSbox takes, and how much it lowers computer’s productivity and speed?

I’m just bringing to attention that if more DOS games were made into Special Edition Windows games, maybe more people would be interested in playing them. It would be much easier than tangling with “special programs” Just look how famous Monkey Island and Broken Sword series is. I just think it would help adventure community a lot if we bring back old classic games to attention by making re-releases.
Does anyone agree with me about this question in general?

Everything you need to know about me has already been told.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Ungrateful lazy nagging bunch. Well, at least they gave you a T-shirt for your trouble. Grin

Been there, got the T-shirt (sorry, it’s Prikaprednazperuke again Meh) I tell you, compatibility CD is the only choice for them. Tongue

Hey, that actually looks great! If it isn’t a scam, of course.

PS: Well, SweetD is back to pouting and nagging, and I can’t make chocolate from Zobrak’s reply. So I’m definitely NOT going to all that trouble.
PPS: Oh, Mr. Z. edited his post. I guess his answer is yes.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

but I know games that work fine on Windows and were made in late 90’s (like Discworld Noir (97)).

I had to use my virtual Windows 98 machine to be able to play Discworld Noir properly. It didn’t work in Vista64. So there… Tongue

DOSBox isn’t hard to use, and it really doesn’t use a lot of resources at all.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-01-12

PM

diego - 28 January 2013 12:33 PM

Been there, got the T-shirt (sorry, it’s Prikaprednazperuke again Meh) I tell you, compatibility CD is the only choice for them. Tongue

I read almost everything you wrote and I didn’t understand it very well (like I didn’t understand anything you said when we used to talked , anyway Tongue)
To be honest you didn’t really bother to explain it in detail, you just listed the basic commands. I know, I’ve used DOS, and I’m sure you skipped some steps. Tongue You don’t deserve that T-shirt.  Pan  Tongue

I’m actually over-exaggerating. I just don’t want to bother with DOS again, right now

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2005-01-20

PM

Wow, do they always start off this contentious?

How hard would it be for the developers/publishers or some fan to make a Remastered/Special edition for Windows like they did with many other games (Monkey Island Special Edition games, Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards: Reloaded)

Since Josh is around, hopefully he can answer if this might be possible in the future?

It’s surprisingly difficult to arrange. For really old games (like Larry and many of the old Sierra quest games), the source code doesn’t even exist anymore, so the game would have to be created from scratch. For many other games, there are rights issues, given how much corporate changing-of-hands goes on. In Callahan’s case, it’s even more complicated: I’ve been told that Callahan’s was *not* one of the properties included when Legend was sold to GT Interactive, so the rights essentially remain with the non-existent Legend, and what’s more, Legend only had three years’ worth of license to use the Callahan’s property, so that would all have to be renegotiated from scratch.

OY.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

SweetDalilah - 28 January 2013 12:39 PM

As I said before, I knew how to use DOS commands, (it was a pain in the arse though), but I have forgotten most of it. I guess I could learn it again, if someone would be willing to explain. The question is how much space DOSbox takes, and how much it lowers computer’s productivity and speed?

You only need to know two commands, and we can easily enough just give them in a “type this:” sort of way.

DOSBox takes a whopping 4.3 MB of space. That’s about as much as one single mp3 song.

DOSBox doesn’t lower your computer’s productivity and speed at all, unless for the requirements of the games you’re trying to run. And since most of those are at least 15 years old, I doubt they’ll tax your system much.

Why are you even resisting? Getting The Space Bar to run was a LOT harder… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-01-12

PM

TimovieMan - 28 January 2013 12:48 PM

but I know games that work fine on Windows and were made in late 90’s (like Discworld Noir (97)).

I had to use my virtual Windows 98 machine to be able to play Discworld Noir properly. It didn’t work in Vista64. So there… Tongue

DOSBox isn’t hard to use, and it really doesn’t use a lot of resources at all.

Discworld Noir worked fine on Windows XP, and it worked in windowed mode on Windows 7, so your argument is invalid. Tongue Wink

So you’re saying that DOSbox doesn’t mess with computer’s performance at all and is easy to use ? Crazy Sorry but I find that hard to believe. Smile

Edit: I just saw you reply TimovieMan, I take back what I said. I guess it wouldn’t make my computer work any harder than it is. Grin The only hard thing would be getting used to those DOS commands again. Crazy

P.S. I will answer your PM soon, I’ve been a bit busy.

Josho - 28 January 2013 01:01 PM

It’s surprisingly difficult to arrange. For really old games (like Larry and many of the old Sierra quest games), the source code doesn’t even exist anymore, so the game would have to be created from scratch. For many other games, there are rights issues, given how much corporate changing-of-hands goes on. In Callahan’s case, it’s even more complicated: I’ve been told that Callahan’s was *not* one of the properties included when Legend was sold to GT Interactive, so the rights essentially remain with the non-existent Legend, and what’s more, Legend only had three years’ worth of license to use the Callahan’s property, so that would all have to be renegotiated from scratch.

OY.

Oh god, I’m so sorry to hear that Josh, I didn’t know things involving Callahan’s rights were so complicated. Frown I really thought it would be possible to make a newer version with maybe better graphics. Empty wishes, I guess Foot in mouth  Cry

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

DOSBox problem solved (?):

Get the installer here.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Well, well, well! Does it actually work, Zobraks?

PS: The attic? Hehehe….

Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Fien - 28 January 2013 01:34 PM

Well, well, well! Does it actually work, Zobraks?

I’ll go to the attic and try to dig that CCS copy now. Then I’ll try to install it and I’ll keep you posted.
I just started the installer to make a screenshot of it.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

TimovieMan - 28 January 2013 01:05 PM

DOSBox doesn’t lower your computer’s productivity and speed at all

Finally, a voice of sanity. I don’t know who you’ve have been talking to, but DOSBox is not like a virtual machine. It’s just a teeny tiny program that takes ZERO of a modern computer power.

SweetDalilah - 28 January 2013 01:07 PM

I really thought it would be possible to make a newer version with maybe better graphics.

Believe me, Callahan’s doesn’t look bad at all in motion, apart from some clunky scrolling and not-so-great character animation.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

For Pete’s sake, Diego, let her be. She doesn’t want to listen, she doesn’t want any help, she just likes to get everybody’s attention. If she doesn’t want to participate in the playthrough, fine with me.

Looking forward to:

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I’m in (as you can see):

This puzzle reminds me of MMFT.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

One of the more memorable puzzles overall, if a bit hard if you’re someone who doesn’t like rock music AND/OR doesn’t speak English very good. Grin

zobraks - 28 January 2013 02:19 PM

This puzzle reminds me of MMFT.

Maniac Mansion Full Throttle?

Memento Mori Fork in the Tale?

Monty Mython’s Feaning of Tlife?

Mindfulness-based Mind Fitness Training?

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top