• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] Time for a new community playthrough?

Total Posts: 5588

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Callahan’s is always one I wanted to play, but unfortunately there’s no Mac version.  Besides, I’m still working on The Space Bar, slowpoke that I am.  Laughing

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Lady Kestrel - 27 January 2013 12:09 PM

Callahan’s is always one I wanted to play, but unfortunately there’s no Mac version.

It’s a DOS games. Use DOSBox / Boxer.

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

How are people getting copies of CCS? Do you guys already own it?

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Kurufinwe - 27 January 2013 12:20 PM

I didn’t realize that, Kuru.  I’ll have to look into it.  I wonder if there’s a version of DOS Box that works with Intel iMacs or whether I’d have to use it on my pre-Intel machine.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

inm8#2 - 27 January 2013 03:11 PM

I found one on eBay. There were multiple options, so unless the other forumites bought them all, I’d say that’s your best bet.

Didn’t find another way to obtain a copy, though. It’s not for sale anywhere, I think.
Let’s hope GOG picks it up in the future…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2986

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I personally use a copy borrowed from a friend (more “borrowed and never returned”. Its been 12 years…).
You can also try Amazon.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Lady Kestrel - 27 January 2013 03:24 PM
Kurufinwe - 27 January 2013 12:20 PM

I didn’t realize that, Kuru.  I’ll have to look into it.  I wonder if there’s a version of DOS Box that works with Intel iMacs or whether I’d have to use it on my pre-Intel machine.

DOSBox needs as much processing power as it can get, so the more recent the computer the better. Just download and install Boxer (which is a fantastic Mac DOSBox front-end), pop the game CD into the drive, run Boxer, choose Import new game, drag the CD there, and then follow the instructions to install and run the game. It’s extremely easy (considerably easier than any DOSBox front-end on Windows…).

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I ordered from Amazon. There were atleast 5 more copies there, prices ranging from 20$ (used) to 180$ (new).

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 4254

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Dag - 27 January 2013 05:49 PM

CCS? ... 180$ (new).

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

zobraks - 27 January 2013 05:56 PM
Dag - 27 January 2013 05:49 PM

CCS? ... 180$ (new).

That’s nothing - I’m considering buying this, but I need to ask the seller if it comes with the pair of the musketeer’s swords. Confused Old, and specifically rare games do tend to worth a bunch. IHNMAIMS is 150 bucks. UFOs and 3 Skulls $400 each. So, yeah, that makes Fien a millionaire. Grin

Callahan’s is available for a reasonable price. I borrowed the game 15 years ago from a friend but only for a weekend. That’s why I played it so fast wanting to finish it, and now I can’t even remember if I managed to do that (it’s NOT an easy game like I’ve read somewhere). Maybe it’s time to call my friend again. Wink (That is, IF I decide to join this stupid playthrough which managed to beat The Westerner and Keepsake Angry )

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 4254

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Sefir - 27 January 2013 03:50 PM

I personally use a copy borrowed from a friend. Its been 12 years.

diego - 27 January 2013 06:32 PM

I borrowed the game 15 years ago from a friend

What a coincidence! I borrowed a copy of CCS from a friend 13.5 years ago.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 2986

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

(That is, IF I decide to join this stupid playthrough which managed to beat The Westerner and Keepsake Angry )

You are welcome! Wink

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

chrissie - 21 January 2013 05:34 PM

I don’t whether I could get it to play!

This guy is selling the game readied for all Windows systems. This proves the game can run in Windows with some tweaking. But Dosbox is a sure bet, it might be a little more complicated for someone who didn’t use it, but it’s not that hard really.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

So, yeah, that makes Fien a millionaire. Grin

Hehe… you don’t see anybody buying the games at those ridiculous prices, do you.

(That is, IF I decide to join this stupid playthrough which managed to beat The Westerner and Keepsake Angry )

You know you want to join the playthrough.  Tongue It’s gonna be cool with Josh around.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Well, I just couldn’t resist, so I bought the game from Amazon and will download Boxer to give it a try.  Thanks for the info on that, Kurufinwe!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top