• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] Time for a new community playthrough?

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

I always have this irresistable urge to tell people who ask “if the game will get any better” after the intro and first 10 minutes or so that they hated: NO! It’s not for you!

I’m serious. It’s not even relevant whether I like the game in question or not. A game should grab you. It’s true that some (not many) games get better after an uninteresting start. But humorous games don’t. It’s your kind of humor or it isn’t.

PS: Of course that goes for Callahan’s too.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Well… intros are often completely different from the game. Beneath a Steel Sky has a comic book style intro I dislike which clashes with the actual game, which I do like. RHEM is always just a ride in a tram cart with no sign of the brilliant puzzles to come. Heck, except for the music the Curse of Monkey Island intro was quite generic and I would have rejected it if I hadn’t known the series was good.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Fien - 21 January 2013 11:56 PM

I always have this irresistable urge to tell people who ask “if the game will get any better” after the intro and first 10 minutes or so that they hated: NO! It’s not for you!

I’m serious. It’s not even relevant whether I like the game in question or not. A game should grab you. It’s true that some (not many) games get better after an uninteresting start. But humorous games don’t. It’s your kind of humor or it isn’t.

PS: Of course that goes for Callahan’s too.

I almost completely disagree. You should NEVER judge a game simply by the first impressions. And that applies to humorous adventures as well though it’s not necessarily the humour itself we are talking about. Callahan’s is the perfect example. Right at the beginning (the pre-mentioned “first 10 minutes”) there is a riddle much too brutal for non native english speakers or non-relevants with the “theme”: a word contest. Well, if I had judged the game by its first riddle, believe me, I would have never played this amazing game (fortunately, there is only one other riddle like this in the entire game).

As for AVS however, Fien is right. The intro and the first 10 minutes show what the game will be like (whether you like it or not).

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

I agree that some intros don’t do their games justice, but they are a minority. And yes, the very first puzzle in Callahan’s is even more difficult for non-natives. But I’m not in the habit of tackling puzzles straightaway without exploring the environment first, so I was thinking of talking to people, clicking on objects, reading amusing comments, sampling the atmosphere. And from THOSE ten minutes you get a good impression if you will enjoy the game.

Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Only one hour remains for the final results!!
Callahan is in front and Shadow of the Comet is only 2 votes behind!!
AVS follows with just a vote behind SotC.

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Callahans 11 votes. AVS and SotC both 9 votes.

Looking forward to:

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

You forgot diego’s votes to Callahan and SotC.

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

GO AVS!  Tongue

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Siddhi - 22 January 2013 08:17 AM

GO AVS!  Tongue

At least we tried.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Time is up.
The great winner is…..

Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon!!!

Before a new community playthrough for Callahan’s is opened, perhaps someone should sent a PM to Josh and find out if he wants to be a playthrough leader (I would gladly give him the spot).

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Sefir - 22 January 2013 07:49 AM

You forgot diego’s votes to Callahan and SotC.

Nooooo! He wasn’t serious. Don’t tell me he really wanted me to count those votes.

What! I withdraw my vote if suddenly developer Josho is going to be playthrough leader. Please! I would not feel free to express my thoughts if he was the leader.

Looking forward to:

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Fien - 22 January 2013 08:49 AM

I withdraw my vote if suddenly developer Josho is going to be playthrough leader. Please! I would not feel free to express my thoughts if he was the leader.

Fair enough. I thought it was an unanimous opinion. Since there are problems with that, the plan is going as expected, with me as playthrough leader. The playthrough will start next week, so that most participants can get their copy.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I’ve ordered a copy of Callahans from Amazon, but it’ll be shipped from the US, and that usually takes about 2-3 weeks to reach Norway Confused Fingers crossed that it’ll ship a bit faster this time around..

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Dag - 22 January 2013 10:55 AM

I’ve ordered a copy of Callahans from Amazon, but it’ll be shipped from the US, and that usually takes about 2-3 weeks to reach Norway Confused Fingers crossed that it’ll ship a bit faster this time around..

Seriously? Gasp
I always get things in about a week from overseas. And it’s not like Belgium and Norway are that far apart…

Anyway, I’ll PM Josho, just so he’s aware of the playthrough. Just having him chime in now and then would be awesome, imo…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Well, that was fast:

Hi, Timothy,

I’d love drop in and play whatever role you’d like me to play. I’ve followed some of the community playthroughs in the past, and it’s truly an honor to be voted in. I always considered Callahan’s a little too “niche” to garner that kind of attention!

I’ll start looking for the appropriate thread, and when the playthrough starts, I’ll chime in.

Thank you! This makes my day!

Best regards,
Josh

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top