• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What are the benefits of playing video games? Please help this survey!

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2017-02-21

PM

Hey fellow gamers!

As you may all know, video games are often discussed in terms of their negative effects on players. However, I belief that games also have many benefits and can be truly amazing. In a scientific project at the Hanover University of Music, Drama and Media (Germany) we are currently investigating the positive effects of gaming. And we need your help!

Have you ever played a video game and felt like what was happening on screen was truly awe-inspiring? Have you ever been amazed by something vast while playing a video game, something that stood out of your typical gaming experience?
Then please help us with our scientific mission and take 15 minutes of your time to fill out this questionnaire. You even have the chance of winning one of 20 Amazon vouchers worth $20 each!

ww3.unipark.de/uc/awe/

The survey is part of a non-commercial, scientific project at the Hanover University of Music, Drama and Media (Germany) and we take our research seriously: All of your details will be treated anonymously as well as confidentially and are used for scientific purposes only.

Thank you for participating!

Greetings
Carina

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Hi Carina, I filled it in. One suggestion: could you next time use a secured website that sends the data encrypted over the interwebs? Some of the data could be considered private.

Good luck with your research!

Total Posts: 74

Joined 2017-01-13

PM

I also filled in the survey.

I do think the title is misleading. All questions are focussed on determining this moment of awe and to what extend it was experienced.
I couldn’t see any indication of how this relates to the supposed benefits of playing video games and I saw no means to extrapolate such a conclusion based on answers provided.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Bitano - 21 February 2017 12:36 PM

I do think the title is misleading. All questions are focussed on determining this moment of awe and to what extend it was experienced.
I couldn’t see any indication of how this relates to the supposed benefits of playing video games and I saw no means to extrapolate such a conclusion based on answers provided.

Yes awe can have negative connotations
But survey asks the moments, if those moments described are analyzed well with awe and some questions it could lead to good data on benefits
Though not proper one

I have my own published research and of all the research papers i analyzed only some had good methodology , esp the neuroscientist ones with MRI scans to monitor brain activity

Joined 2017-02-21

PM

tsa - 21 February 2017 11:30 AM

Hi Carina, I filled it in. One suggestion: could you next time use a secured website that sends the data encrypted over the interwebs? Some of the data could be considered private.

Good luck with your research!

Thank you for your hint, I will refer your opinion to our project manager. But for you to be safe: your data is stored anonymously in unipark (a survey tool by QuestBack GmbH) and not associated with any personal information. The data is treated confidentially and exclusively used for scientific purposes by staff in our department.

Joined 2017-02-21

PM

nomadsoul - 21 February 2017 02:03 PM
Bitano - 21 February 2017 12:36 PM

Yes awe can have negative connotations
But survey asks the moments, if those moments described are analyzed well with awe and some questions it could lead to good data on benefits
Though not proper one

I have my own published research and of all the research papers i analyzed only some had good methodology , esp the neuroscientist ones with MRI scans to monitor brain activity

Thank you for your quite good notes. It helps us to improve our survey in the future. Greetings!

Joined 2017-01-13

PM

One other thing. The questions in the survey focus on a specific moment in my life, but then the survey ends with some questions along the lines of “How much time do you CURRENTLY spend playing video games?”

Keep in mind that the answer to these last questions are in no way related to the rest of the survey.
Nowadays my game-time is nowhere near the amount of time i spent playing games back when I had this examined “moment of awe”.

Joined 2017-02-21

PM

Bitano - 22 February 2017 05:29 AM

One other thing. The questions in the survey focus on a specific moment in my life, but then the survey ends with some questions along the lines of “How much time do you CURRENTLY spend playing video games?”

Keep in mind that the answer to these last questions are in no way related to the rest of the survey.
Nowadays my game-time is nowhere near the amount of time i spent playing games back when I had this examined “moment of awe”.

Thank you again for your hint, but with regard to this, everything is fine.

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

IJK_Hannover I believe you could get more people to participate by explaining your research. We are naturally interested in adventure games here, so research like this would spark a lot of people’s interest.

To start with, can you explain what sort of benefits a “sense of awe” could give someone? Are you talking about medical benefits? Or psychological? I would think setting out the goal of what you are trying to find out is important for any scientific research, as you describe it. Many thanks and good luck.

Joined 2017-02-21

PM

BitingWit - 22 February 2017 06:18 AM

IJK_Hannover I believe you could get more people to participate by explaining your research. We are naturally interested in adventure games here, so research like this would spark a lot of people’s interest.

To start with, can you explain what sort of benefits a “sense of awe” could give someone? Are you talking about medical benefits? Or psychological? I would think setting out the goal of what you are trying to find out is important for any scientific research, as you describe it. Many thanks and good luck.

Thank you very much for your hint. In scientific studies, however, you should not give too much information in advance because this could possibly affect the participants’ answers. I will still refer your opinion to our project manager.
Greetings

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

IJK_Hannover - 22 February 2017 06:45 AM

Thank you very much for your hint. In scientific studies, however, you should not give too much information in advance because this could possibly affect the participants’ answers. I will still refer your opinion to our project manager.
Greetings

It is also unwise to give too little information, since participants are capable of making assumptions.

At any rate, I doubt your project manager knows a great deal about scientific research given his qualifications (Master of Arts). That is not to say he is underqualified but is not trained in a scientific field.

Total Posts: 5804

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

IJK_Hannover - 21 February 2017 05:51 AM

Hey fellow gamers!

As you may all know, video games are often discussed in terms of their negative effects on players. However, I belief that games also have many benefits and can be truly amazing. In a scientific project at the Hanover University of Music, Drama and Media (Germany) we are currently investigating the positive effects of gaming. And we need your help!

I believe that there are many positive benefits to playing video games but don’t believe that an ‘awesome’ event encountered at the time, even if remembered,  is of any consequence to long term health either physically or psychologically & especially if researched in isolation from other aspects of playing a game. An exception might be if you’ve come across anything particularly disturbing that’s preyed on your mind but then that wouldn’t be a benefit would it? 

You’re not really answering any questions IJK Hannover as I don’t believe that you’re being entirely upfront about the purpose of your survey. I’ll have a guess at that in the realms of Music, Drama & Media you are conducting this research to find what’s needed for the ‘wow’ factor in each of the disciplines, either possibly for some kind of thesis where you have to describe what’s needed to create ‘awe’ or maybe you have to produce some project of your own that includes the ‘awe’ factor. 

I might be entirely wrong & if so I apologise for being so cynical but whatever your motive I do wish you good luck! 

Total Posts: 5030

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I like most of what chrissie said. I’m a bit confused as to the question. Is “video games,” in the context of a post on this forum, synonymous with adventure games? Or is it exactly what it says, which would include everything from Doom to Madden NFL Football.

If the latter is the case, I can think of a number of reasons why video games might actually be the opposite of beneficial. Not enough time being spent outdoors doing actual exercise being the first one that comes to mind.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

There are other questions with regards to awe which she can link up to form better conclusion so awe and her questions are legit
It could work, for any genre
I used Bloodborne to described my awe related moments and her later questions regarding how i felt about them , with different rating scales of postivity and negativity can lead to some good research

@rtooney

I think social structures/roles are changing, if a pakistani guy is making millions now

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-pakistani-teens-esport-dream/

And a Swedish guy TV streamer pewdipie is making millions too by sitting at home,
(biggest youtube guy and doing more fine than TV hosts like Craig or Jimmy kemmel watever)

So its quite beneficial in terms of career, profession and economy ,all thanks to digital gaming age, sitting at home

Meanwhile hardworking person who goes out to work in Canada cannot pay 1000$ of hydrobills, and there are thousands of examples of that
That pakistani and swedish guy can make more than Developers asking same money on KS

Druckman of last of us said that people came to him and said that his game helped them to struggle through hardest part of their life and stopped them from committing suicide and rebuilding hope

Which makes the survey more relevant because one cutscene and one moment can have positive or negative profound impact on life , and survey asks about those moments

Joined 2017-01-13

PM

nomadsoul - 23 February 2017 02:15 PM

There are other questions with regards to awe which she can link up to form better conclusion so awe and her questions are legit
I used Bloodborne to described my awe related moments and her later questions regarding how i felt about them , with different rating scales of postivity and negativity can lead to some good research

I disagree (still assuming this thread’s title is valid and related to the survey).
While a lot of questions cover this moment of awe, i can’t recall having seen any questions trying to relate the answers to “benefits of playing of video games”. Let alone draw a conclusion to determine what those benefits are / might be.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Bitano - 23 February 2017 02:44 PM
nomadsoul - 23 February 2017 02:15 PM

I disagree (still assuming this thread’s title is valid and related to the survey).
While a lot of questions cover this moment of awe, i can’t recall having seen any questions trying to relate the answers to “benefits of playing of video games”. Let alone draw a conclusion to determine what those benefits are / might be.

Dude (with all due respect) have you ever done research??

These questions like many other surveys are put in Data analyzing models with numbers
I dont know her methodology but survey scales can put in SPSS or other softwares to run models
Plenty of quantifying methods

Like she asks what awe is
Then asks later what i felt about the moment in gameplay or other terms
Then she asks how it made me felt, about life and myself and also change of perception if any
Thats good enough questions

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top