• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

NIS bringing some limited editions - DRonpa1,2,3 and Silvercase

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Just a heads up for those interested in limited editions

Danganronpa 1+2, v3 and another episode
http://store.nisamerica.com/danganronpa-1-2-reload-limited-edition-ps4
http://store.nisamerica.com/danganronpa-v3-killing-harmony-limited-edition-ps4
http://store.nisamerica.com/danganronpa-another-episode-ultra-despair-girls-limited-edition-ps4

Stock is already running out, that DR fanbase

Silvercase
http://store.nisamerica.com/silver-case
(that poster and Manga)

Rose and the Old Castle of Twilight (japanese limbo)

http://store.nisamerica.com/rose-in-the-twilight-limited-edition

More,

https://store.nisamerica.com/

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Never heard of any of them. Are they good?

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

BitingWit - 18 February 2017 10:05 AM

Never heard of any of them. Are they good?

Yup top stuff after Phoenixwright craze if you are into crazy Japanese games and stories
There is a solid global fan cult following some here play them too

Posting so that NIS can have support to bring more projects in future

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

NIS Europe store also has them. Getting that Vita Danganronpa V3 and might jump on the Silver Case since it looks nice

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

nomadsoul - 18 February 2017 12:18 PM

Yup top stuff after Phoenixwright craze if you are into crazy Japanese games and stories

Yeah, for Japanese adventure game series I’d rank them like this:

1.  999 / Zero Escape series
2.  Danganronpa
3.  Phoenix Wright

Danganronpa is just pure fun, and then the sequel takes everything the first one did and improves on it immensely.  (particularly in terms of the challenge of the mysteries)

Also now that I think about it it’s kind of funny to rank these together, because Danganronpa is so heavily inspired by the other two.

It’s basically what would happen if you mash the other two together into one game, because it has both people being trapped and forced into a life threatening situation (Zero Escape) and courtroom battles and murder mysteries (Phoenix Wright).

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Detective Mosely - 18 February 2017 02:29 PM

It’s basically what would happen if you mash the other two together into one game, because it has both people being trapped and forced into a life threatening situation (Zero Escape) and courtroom battles and murder mysteries (Phoenix Wright).

Those themes were not really uncommon in Manga/Anime scene, its repeated often now only found audience in interactive game medium
I believe many Manga writers can find a great audience in gaming, only they need to jump in

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

nomadsoul - 18 February 2017 02:44 PM

Those themes were not really uncommon in Manga/Anime scene, its repeated often now only found audience in interactive game medium
I believe many Manga writers can find a great audience in gaming, only they need to jump in

I’m not sure if you are or not, but if you doubt for a second that 999 was a direct influence on Danganronpa, see this screenshot:

And that’s not the only reference in the game either.  The creators of the two series are friends with each other.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Detective Mosely - 18 February 2017 03:08 PM
nomadsoul - 18 February 2017 02:44 PM

I’m not sure if you are or not, but if you doubt for a second that 999 was a direct influence on Danganronpa, see this screenshot:

And that’s not the only reference in the game either.  The creators of the two series are friends with each other.

read about these,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liar_Game
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doubt_(horror_manga)

There are others too like Life is money

I am not sayin they arent similar to each , i am saying they are similar to plenty of Manga in past, its typical of Manga authors to have this scenario of crazy characters in a situation where they have to compete with each other on all levels to survive

Manga authors have this ability to keep the suspense going on and you cant put down until you know whats next, so by that token most of those authors can use their potential of story telling in games since faux visual novel setup can work great in games

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

nomadsoul - 18 February 2017 07:06 PM

read about these,

I’ve actually read a good deal of Liar Game.  It’s good.  And the other sounds interesting too. 

Still does nothing to imply that Danganronpa wasn’t directly influenced by 999 though.  And that screenshot above is an obvious nod to that, with the reference to people being trapped on a boat with small bombs in their stomachs.

And really, the influence of Phoenix Wright is even more obvious.  Not many games involve courtroom battles like that.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Detective Mosely - 19 February 2017 12:43 PM
nomadsoul - 18 February 2017 07:06 PM

read about these,

I’ve actually read a good deal of Liar Game.  It’s good.  And the other sounds interesting too. 

Still does nothing to imply that Danganronpa wasn’t directly influenced by 999 though.  And that screenshot above is an obvious nod to that, with the reference to people being trapped on a boat with small bombs in their stomachs.

And really, the influence of Phoenix Wright is even more obvious.  Not many games involve courtroom battles like that.

I said it borrows heavily from number of sources not just one, and its common for authors to borrow and mix, the basic plot is as old as Spriggan or Battleroyale and other aspects(gameplay and design)

here

The series draws from numerous other inspirations. The murder mystery and court proceedings are very obviously borrowed from the Ace Attorney games. The stylish interface design and the social-sim elements skim from the later Persona games. Its “quirky characters trapped in an enclosed area” feels a lot like Spike Chunsoft’s own “Escape” series (999/Virtue’s Last Reward), and “command teenagers to kill each other” scenario hails back to the novel/manga/movie Battle Royale. The stories for the series are written by Kazutaka Kodaka, who cut his teeth writing for the later entries in the Tantei Jinguuji Saburou series (known as Jake Hunter in English). He admitted that the sordid storyline was partially inspired by the twisted Dreamcast horror/comedy game Illbleed. Artist Rui Komatsuzaki supplies the character designs.

Now play Illbleed on Dreamcast
Tongue

Also courtroom is one aspects

Twilight Syndrome(PSX game) receives a notable reference in the Kazutaka Kodaka game Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair, in which the primary antagonist Monokuma develops a fangame of the series entitled Twilight Syndrome: Murder Case, which the characters (and therefore player) have the opportunity to play. The graphics, gameplay and story all invoke the classic series, and the game is vital in solving a murder mystery within Danganronpa 2. This is referenced again in the Danganronpa 3 anime, with the caption “beginning of the twilight” when the show begins to go over the events that inspired Monokuma’s fangame.

So play Suda games too

Just saying PW and 999 as source is under informed misrepresentation
As evidence above suggests

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Too much semantics being discussed here.

Danganronpa was clearly heavily influenced by both Phoenix Wright and Zero Escape series. Yes, those were not the first media in their genre but that is irrelevant.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Origami - 19 February 2017 06:42 PM

Too much semantics being discussed here.

Danganronpa was clearly heavily influenced by both Phoenix Wright and Zero Escape series. Yes, those were not the first media in their genre but that is irrelevant.

You only show up when i make comments now Grin

Blanket statements as usual unlike mine with clear source

But it doesnt matter since i never disagreed that its the source, i am saying its not the only source and matter is old af
Also you should order Silvercase limited edition againon ps4 too

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

nomadsoul - 19 February 2017 01:38 PM

I said it borrows heavily from number of sources not just one

Obviously I know that, considering I listed two influences of my own.

This is one of the most pointless arguments I’ve seen on here (and that’s saying something).  You’re actually agreeing with everything I’ve said and providing evidence that I was correct in saying that those other games were direct influences.

But on top of that you’re pretending as if I said that they were the only influences, when I never once implied that was the case.  Nor was I ever implying that them being influenced by other things was a bad thing or unique to it.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Detective Mosely - 19 February 2017 07:51 PM

This is one of the most pointless arguments I’ve seen on here (and that’s saying something).  You’re actually agreeing with everything I’ve said and providing evidence that I was correct in saying that those other games were direct influences.

But on top of that you’re pretending as if I said that they were the only influences, when I never once implied that was the case.  Nor was I ever implying that them being influenced by other things was a bad thing or unique to it.

Who started the argument, i didnt(check post 5) , thats my whole point, i am saying i agree but its not original anyway, its like saying Halflife copied Quake and i am saying FPS existing since forever

I said the plot devices and drama etc are not original
And then you said if you doubt and all

Plus

Its not JUST 2, its more than 2
Persona, Twilightsyndrome etc
Dev said himself that illbleed is partial influence on plot
So that aint more than 2??
I am just saying its not mashing of 2 , its mashing of plenty of sources

Moreover, courtroom only in name, game mechanic and system is not close to PW, its minigame and different

I listed two influences of my own

That clears the confusion Thumbs Up

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

you’re pretending as if I said that they were the only influences, when I never once implied that was the case.

nomadsoul - 19 February 2017 08:55 PM

Its not JUST 2, its more than 2
Persona, Twilightsyndrome etc
Dev said himself that illbleed is partial influence on plot
So that aint more than 2??

Reading comprehension.  Try it sometime.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

nomadsoul - 19 February 2017 07:39 PM

You only show up when i make comments now Grin

That inferiority complex though…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top