• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Whispers of a Machine - from Kathy Rain developer

Total Posts: 1642

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

PlanetX - 18 April 2019 12:47 PM
Jdawg445 - 18 April 2019 12:32 PM

Something has been troubling me though about the narrative. this is a world where robots, AI, and technology in general is frowned upon yet here is a super agent named vera who uses a lot of technology and yet its not really addressed in the opening of the game. I hope it is addressed sooner or later but I did find that odd.

The game does address that during day 2. There’s also an optional dialogue option that could possibly get deeper into it. Idk to what extent because I didn’t choose it but I suspect that idea will come back into play throughout the story.

just finished day 2, it seemed a lot shorter and easier, the only puzzle that gave me trouble was

finding the hidden lab, first I tried every way to get the nutrients tank open upstairs, and like with you and the pass code from day 1, I never connected the dots that the book had something to do with a code downstairs in the museum until much later, after I saw the sketch upstairs it clicked for me to read the poem again in the book. it made 90 percent sense to me until I hit the globe, I hit it once and stopped, It took me forever to get that part that you had to do a full rotation.One thing that I thought was cool about this puzzle is that it ties back into a story beat from earlier, If you talk to the lil boy and girl and ask about maja aka the museum owner the lil girl will say she didnt like maja bc she yelled at her for pressing all the buttons in the museum, maja must have been afraid that she would have accidentally revealed her hidden lab.Just another nice touch

And your right the 2nd day did answer my question. the world building is really top notch.Plus there is a nice trophy if you read everything

one thing I did that was cool is

after talking to melinda the school teacher I showed her the picture of her and karl, she asked to keep it and I gave it to her on the promise that she would help me. I thought that was a cool neat touch

this game reminds me so much of technobabylon in the best way possible. this game might eventually make it on my all time adventure game list

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Yeah I tried to get that tank (labeled as “machine” in the game) open for a little while too. I think if the game has one consistent problem its odd or misleading sign-posts. When Vera examines the machine she comments that it’s sealed tight. Which makes it seem like you have to find a way to open it. Gabriel makes explicit reference to that machine when you ask him where to get the nutrient tank. Katarina/Melinda says the nutrient tank is “somewhere near the museum.” In retrospect she’s clearly referring the hidden room but it could very easily be misinterpreted as Maja’s room, which is right above the museum. It’s also weird, considering Katarina knows about the hidden room, that she decided to be vague.

[spoiler]In fact “near the museum” is a really really weird way of referring to a hidden room inside the museum. You wouldn’t say a room inside your house is “near” your house. It’d be less confusing if she didn’t know and told you nothing.[/spoiler]

The game should know the player will assume the tank-like machine labeled with “nutrients” is the nutrient tank. Or where the nutrient tanks are stored. Especially with that sign-posting. This could be really easily avoided. Just have Vera comment that it’s a dispenser rather than the tank itself. Immediately I’d know not to waste my time with further attempts and consider another option.

Or if they’re trying to write Vera’s character in a way that isn’t tech-savvy enough to know; have her push the button and let the player see the nutrients come out. That way it would be clear that it’s not the “tank” you need but a dispenser. It was a little annoying that she wouldn’t even try to push the button. There’s even fingerprints on it.

Jdawg445 - 18 April 2019 03:07 PM

If you talk to the lil boy and girl and ask about maja aka the museum owner the lil girl will say she didnt like maja bc she yelled at her for pressing all the buttons in the museum, maja must have been afraid that she would have accidentally revealed her hidden lab.Just another nice touch

That was a clever clue. The story that the robot shop owner tells you is rather good too. About following Maja into the museum, not being able to find her, and then seeing her come back out the entrance once he left.

The entire museum puzzle was really clever to me. It was a good way to integrate exploration and lore into a puzzle in a way that didn’t feel at all forced. If all the puzzle chains were that polished this would be an unquestioned top tier contender for me. As it stands now I think it’s a great game with some noticeable issues. But we’ll see. It’s very possible the best is yet to come.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

PlanetX - 18 April 2019 06:11 PM

Yeah I tried to get that tank (labeled as “machine” in the game) open for a little while too. I think if the game has one consistent problem its odd or misleading sign-posts. When Vera examines the machine she comments that it’s sealed tight. Which makes it seem like you have to find a way to open it. Gabriel makes explicit reference to that machine when you ask him where to get the nutrient tank. Katarina/Melinda says the nutrient tank is “somewhere near the museum.” In retrospect she’s clearly referring the hidden room but it could very easily be misinterpreted as Maja’s room, which is right above the museum. It’s also weird, considering Katarina knows about the hidden room, that she decided to be vague.

[spoiler]In fact “near the museum” is a really really weird way of referring to a hidden room inside the museum. You wouldn’t say a room inside your house is “near” your house. It’d be less confusing if she didn’t know and told you nothing.[/spoiler]

The game should know the player will assume the tank-like machine labeled with “nutrients” is the nutrient tank. Or where the nutrient tanks are stored. Especially with that sign-posting. This could be really easily avoided. Just have Vera comment that it’s a dispenser rather than the tank itself. Immediately I’d know not to waste my time with further attempts and consider another option.

Or if they’re trying to write Vera’s character in a way that isn’t tech-savvy enough to know; have her push the button and let the player see the nutrients come out. That way it would be clear that it’s not the “tank” you need but a dispenser. It was a little annoying that she wouldn’t even try to push the button. There’s even fingerprints on it.

Jdawg445 - 18 April 2019 03:07 PM

If you talk to the lil boy and girl and ask about maja aka the museum owner the lil girl will say she didnt like maja bc she yelled at her for pressing all the buttons in the museum, maja must have been afraid that she would have accidentally revealed her hidden lab.Just another nice touch

That was a clever clue. The story that the robot shop owner tells you is rather good too. About following Maja into the museum, not being able to find her, and then seeing her come back out the entrance once he left.

The entire museum puzzle was really clever to me. It was a good way to integrate exploration and lore into a puzzle in a way that didn’t feel at all forced. If all the puzzle chains were that polished this would be an unquestioned top tier contender for me. As it stands now I think it’s a great game with some noticeable issues. But we’ll see. It’s very possible the best is yet to come.

wow we do think so much alike planet x. That is exactly why
I kept trying to force it open, it was bc vera said it was sealed, I tried to force it open, cut it open etc…. I also thought maybe the power was off in the museum apartment bc the electrician is still outside messing with the power box even after the power line was picked up, vera even talks about it. basically another red herring. I didnt get that story from the robot store owner, but that once again is awesome and excellent world building, how she kept that office hidden is beyond me. the whole 2nd day could be called vera finds secret passages; the fridge that leads to melinda’s house. the museum that leads to a secret lab lol.

by the way did you find

the murder weapon at the start of chapter 2

Total Posts: 1255

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I think you are mistaken.

Vera asks Katarina/Melinda about a replacement canister, not the nutrients tank, and Katarina/Melinda replies that she guesses it would be near the musseum. Why do you assume Katarina knows about the hidden room?

It’s not the robot’s shop owner who tells the story about Maja dissapearing in the musseum but the janitor of Katarina’s apartment.

About different puzzles in scene one, you can open the duct using the coin from the soda machine, or asking the worker for a screwdriver (only if you treat him well and he is not upset with Vera, otherwise he won’t lend it to Vera).

Also there are two ways of finding out Karl’s locker: using the scanner or asking the worker.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

walas74 - 18 April 2019 09:04 PM

Vera asks Katarina/Melinda about a replacement canister, not the nutrients tank, and Katarina/Melinda replies that she guesses it would be near the musseum. Why do you assume Katarina knows about the hidden room?

It’s not the robot’s shop owner who tells the story about Maja dissapearing in the musseum but the janitor of Katarina’s apartment.

About different puzzles in scene one, you can open the duct using the coin from the soda machine, or asking the worker for a screwdriver (only if you treat him well and he is not upset with Vera, otherwise he won’t lend it to Vera).

Also there are two ways of finding out Karl’s locker: using the scanner or asking the worker.

Wow thats awesome. How many days/long is the game. Im guessing 4 days bc of the aug. Slots

In scene one i guess i was too harsh bc i asked all questions and did not get that option. I used the coin and the scanner

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Vera asks Katarina/Melinda about a replacement canister, not the nutrients tank…

That’s my point. The player wouldn’t know the difference yet and the game doesn’t make it clear what the machine is. You could very reasonably assume that’s where the replacement canisters are stored and get stuck trying various ways to open or use the machine. That’s what happened to me and Jdawg.

...and Katarina/Melinda replies that she guesses it would be near the museum. Why do you assume Katarina knows about the hidden room?

[spoiler]You’re right about that line. I was assuming she knew because I only remembered second variation. When you ask her from your notepad about the nutrient canister she says “it should be somewhere in the museum area.” [1] That’s the one I heard multiple times going back to remember clues. And since Maja was developing tech for them I’d figure they’d be privy. But from the cutscene before it’s very clear she’s just guessing and I was mistaken. So thanks for correcting me.
[/spoiler]

That is separate from my larger point about the sign posting, though.

Damn didn’t solve that one yet lol! I gatta chill on this thread until I complete the game first.

jk that seems pretty simple anyways so NBD.

Jdawg445 - 18 April 2019 06:44 PM

by the way did you find

Yeah, I did. Analyzing the knife shape on that metal pile. Now that I think about it I didn’t use the object the whole chapter so is that optional? Or would you have to go back later and get it eventually?

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

PlanetX - 18 April 2019 10:01 PM

Vera asks Katarina/Melinda about a replacement canister, not the nutrients tank…

That’s my point. The player wouldn’t know the difference yet and the game doesn’t make it clear what the machine is. You could very reasonably assume that’s where the replacement canisters are stored and get stuck trying various ways to open or use the machine. That’s what happened to me and Jdawg.

...and Katarina/Melinda replies that she guesses it would be near the museum. Why do you assume Katarina knows about the hidden room?

[spoiler]You’re right about that line. I was assuming she knew because I only remembered second variation. When you ask her from your notepad about the nutrient canister she says “it should be somewhere in the museum area.” [1] That’s the one I heard multiple times going back to remember clues. And since Maja was developing tech for them I’d figure they’d be privy. But from the cutscene before it’s very clear she’s just guessing and I was mistaken. So thanks for correcting me.
[/spoiler]

That is separate from my larger point about the sign posting, though.

Damn didn’t solve that one yet lol! I gatta chill on this thread until I complete the game first.

Jdawg445 - 18 April 2019 06:44 PM

by the way did you find

Yeah, I did. Analyzing the knife shape on that metal pile. Now that I think about it I didn’t use the object the whole chapter so is that optional? Or would you have to go back later and get it eventually?

this is just a guess but I think the knife is optional because it gives you an achievement and there’s no real Clues on the knife. the game makes a point to tell you that it is a very generic knife, that they’re everywhere and there’s no DNA clues on it. I would assume it’s just a nice little extra detail

This is a game I’m def going to play through once or twice more. I’ll probably wait for a community play through to do my next one, which hopefully will be sooner than later hint hint lol.

Not trying to be rude but this is the type of game I was hoping unavowed would have been.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

couldnt help myself I played and beat day 3. Now that was an easy day, but very fun.

I figured out the murderer a long time ago, I was hoping it was not her, I see why now planet x thought Melinda knew where the lab was bc her and maja were working very close to each other; but maybe maja kept things close to the vest to keep a lower profile and never showed her the lab, but that does seem unlikely; but then again that would look really suspicious if melinda would have told vera exactly where the canister was and what the secret lab the code. even though kat/melinda was using karl I think she did develop feelings for him. Planet X thanks for not ruining the plot for me

It was my birthday today april 18, my wife is taking me away to the mountains so I wont be able to finish the game until I get back. I did play a little of day four….

I love how my vera escaped jail by cutting her wrist than reigning health

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Squeezed in a little day 3 before I have to sleep. (Day 3 puzzle spoilers) I loved that audio puzzle. Clifftop games are developing a track record of really cool “computer interface” puzzles like this. Reminds me of adjusting the photo exposure in Kathy Rain. Stuff like that makes for cool, authentic feeling, detective work.

(Day 3 story spoilers & speculation)
Seems like the story is really hitting its stride. I’m wondering what part the Church is playing in all this. How squeaky clean they came off when I snuck in doesn’t sit quite right. Almost like they knew I was listening all the while. I also think Stina is involved somehow. In that recording with Katarina & Maja, Maja sounded a lot like Stina to me. Idk that might be too crazy. It was shady af when she rejected Vera’s idea to call in for backup. The local cops are clearly ill equipped to deal with what’s becoming a new murder every day.

Really want to keep playing but I’ve gatta be up early tomorrow so I’m combat dodging any spoilers in this thread and getting back to it ASAP.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

PlanetX - 19 April 2019 01:27 AM

Squeezed in a little day 3 before I have to sleep. (Day 3 puzzle spoilers) I loved that audio puzzle. Clifftop games are developing a track record of really cool “computer interface” puzzles like this. Reminds me of adjusting the photo exposure in Kathy Rain. Stuff like that makes for cool, authentic feeling, detective work.

(Day 3 story spoilers & speculation)
Seems like the story is really hitting its stride. I’m wondering what part the Church is playing in all this. How squeaky clean they came off when I snuck in doesn’t sit quite right. Almost like they knew I was listening all the while. I also think Stina is involved somehow. In that recording with Katarina & Maja, Maja sounded a lot like Stina to me. Idk that might be too crazy. It was shady af when she rejected Vera’s idea to call in for backup. The local cops are clearly ill equipped to deal with what’s becoming a new murder every day.

Really want to keep playing but I’ve gatta be up early tomorrow so I’m combat dodging any spoilers in this thread and getting back to it ASAP.

as far as the audio puzzle

I also enjoyed it a lot, I just wish it was a little harder. what augments do you have. I have better vision, and can go invisible.

here is a very light spoiler for you planetx
the murder weapon was indeed just a fun bonus thing that you indeed did not need

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Ha! My birthday was on April 17th, the day of the release Smile

Yes, finding the murder weapon doesn’t affect the story, but you unlock an achievement. And the game has four days.

It could be posible that Katarina knew about the hidden room and didn’t want to share that with Vera but, would you risk your baby’s life like that?

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

walas74 - 19 April 2019 02:01 AM

Ha! My birthday was on April 17th, the day of the release Smile

Yes, finding the murder weapon doesn’t affect the story, but you unlock an achievement. And the game has four days.

It could be posible that Katarina knew about the hidden room and didn’t want to share that with Vera but, would you risk your baby’s life like that?

happy belated birthday,I figured as much with an augment each day. Each day is about an hr and a half to two hrs, so the game’s length is about 8 hrs, which is a very good length to me for an adventure game. As I said before, I enjoyed kathy rain’s first couple of chapters, but the ending fell apart to me. This has been so entertaining from start to finish to me. Best 13 dollars I spent in awhile. I hope we get a sequel to this sooner than later. I pray the sells are adding up. I checked steamspy, not much info, but it did say over a 100 players were playing it yesterday.

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Finished Whispers of a Machine. Great game. I will definitely be replaying this one to see all the changes that the different choices and augmentations bring about. Vera is a really solid protagonist and I wouldn’t mind seeing more of her in the future. Most of the puzzles were really good and moreover they all bolster the feeling of doing real detective work (which seems to be a particular strong-suit of Clifftop Games). Not just for the augmentation abilities either. The game leaves the player to legitimately observe the clues and make many major deductions themselves. That was probably my favorite part of the game.

The final 3rd of the game did feel rushed, to me. I feel like WoaM could have used another day to tease out the mystery and suspense a bit more. Possibly expand on the part where very has to survive the storm. Whispers builds up that storm from the intro cut-scene and they definitely could have wrung more emotion out of it.

Still, at the end I was satisfied. It’s also possible that the differences in multiple runs of the game will flesh out certain events. Which could be just what I’m after.

Overall it’s the best adventure to come out in a little minute, now. After being severely let down by Truberbrook a month or two ago a game like Whispers of a Machine was sorely needed. Props to Clifftop and Faravid for making a great game.

Happy belated birthday Walas! And Happy birthday Jdawg! Hope you both had/are having a good one.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

PlanetX - 19 April 2019 06:56 PM

Finished Whispers of a Machine. Great game. I will definitely be replaying this one to see all the changes that the different choices and augmentations bring about. Vera is a really solid protagonist and I wouldn’t mind seeing more of her in the future. Most of the puzzles were really good and moreover they all bolster the feeling of doing real detective work (which seems to be a particular strong-suit of Clifftop Games). Not just for the augmentation abilities either. The game leaves the player to legitimately observe the clues and make many major deductions themselves. That was probably my favorite part of the game.

The final 3rd of the game did feel rushed, to me. I feel like WoaM could have used another day to tease out the mystery and suspense a bit more. Possibly expand on the part where very has to survive the storm. Whispers builds up that storm from the intro cut-scene and they definitely could have wrung more emotion out of it.

Still, at the end I was satisfied. It’s also possible that the differences in multiple runs of the game will flesh out certain events. Which could be just what I’m after.

Overall it’s the best adventure to come out in a little minute, now. After being severely let down by Truberbrook a month or two ago a game like Whispers of a Machine was sorely needed. Props to Clifftop and Faravid for making a great game.

Happy belated birthday Walas! And Happy birthday Jdawg! Hope you both had/are having a good one.

Thanks, i should be able to finish the game on sunday. Yes truerbrook and unavowed were letdowns to me, as was the parts i saw of life is strange 2. I wonder if i will get to visit those one or two locations, the game wouldnt let me yet.

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

For replaying, be sure you choose diferent dialogue options so Vera’s personality changes from your previous game. This way you will unlock different augmentations. It’s funny to solve the same puzzles using other augs.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top