• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dalezobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Memoranda

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i just started this an hour ago, i don’t know why i bought this, really, nothing more than it being the latest adventure on gog (or so i think).

but anyways it turned out to be just my cup of tea, amazing artwork and background design, traditional adventure, hard puzzles (sometimes) and the best thing at it is Drama!!! yet some sleazy characters movements like Daedalic at their start (Edna for example), tho it has a nice story of losing memories, something like Memento? i don’t know where this is leading to, but i will post something once i figure out.

Add:the game has its goods and bads no doubt, and its bads might concern the design of the puzzles for it obliges a lot of attention to details and patience as well, but i m liking this game, cant say why exactly but i ve playing it for four hours continues, and i guess thats enough it drew me into it that much..
very recommended for traditional gamers

Total Posts: 1078

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Advie - 05 February 2017 07:11 PM

Add:the game has its goods and bads no doubt, and its bads might concern the design of the puzzles for its oblige a lot of attention to details and patience as well, but i m liking this game, cant say why exactly but i ve playing it for four hours continues, and i guess that enough it drew me into it that much..

Glad to see that you found what you’ve been looking for.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Gabe - 06 February 2017 05:20 AM
Advie - 05 February 2017 07:11 PM

Add:the game has its goods and bads no doubt, and its bads might concern the design of the puzzles for its oblige a lot of attention to details and patience as well, but i m liking this game, cant say why exactly but i ve playing it for four hours continues, and i guess that enough it drew me into it that much..

Glad to see that you found what you’ve been looking for.

wow, does it show? Laughing
yea, it feels like i finally found what he had been looking for… and by pure coincidence.

thanks, Gabe.

what’s a bit strange about Memoranda’ dev is that the game is made by Canadian studio, while the team names are all sounding Iranian!...
anyone pledged for its Kickstarter campaign who have already followed its development might know better?

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

It’s one of those games where the Steam user reviews are super positive and the critical reactions are mostly negative.

I’ve only played it for a couple of hours. I love everything about the visuals, atmosphere and music (minus character animation, but you can’t have everything). As far as puzzles are concerned, it’s super obscure and hermetical. I solved one (the puppet show) through trial and error because the hint (not provided as a hint, but something you were supposed to notice in-game) just didn’t help at all.

But yeah if you like surreal stuff and pretty art this should be right up your alley, provided you have the patience to deal with some really out-there puzzles.

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2014-11-04

PM

I started playing Memoranda and I love it! I didn’t find the puzzles too hard at first, which of course lead to me running smack into a wall so to speak.

Highly recommended so far though!

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Well I read that the puzzles were hard but it turns out they are just illogical. At the start of the game you get a doughnut. When you try to give it to Jack, protagonist says “everyone knows where the doughnut place is, they can get it themselves”. So, okay, I don’t need to give the doughnut to anyone. So what is the next step I need to do? Give the doughnut to the little girl! (despite her not saying anything about being hungry!). So I don’t think I will enjoy this game much.

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2014-11-04

PM

BitingWit - 11 February 2017 08:15 AM

Well I read that the puzzles were hard but it turns out they are just illogical. At the start of the game you get a doughnut. When you try to give it to Jack, protagonist says “everyone knows where the doughnut place is, they can get it themselves”. So, okay, I don’t need to give the doughnut to anyone. So what is the next step I need to do? Give the doughnut to the little girl! (despite her not saying anything about being hungry!). So I don’t think I will enjoy this game much.

I don’t consider that highly illogical though. Who knows if the kid has access to it? She might not be allowed to leave the building. And besides What’s the easiest way to make friends with kids? Any babysitter will tell you, give them food they like.

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Highly illogical, maybe not. But it’s not the clued-in, clever kind of puzzle I expect from a good adventure game. If we proceed on the basis that “this might possibly work”, then that leads down the path of using everything on everything - the worst kind of inventory game. Make the kid say “I’m hungry” or that she can’t leave, or give us some indication that is what we need to do.

And I now know that this not one of the worst puzzles of the game, not by a long shot.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

BitingWit these kind of complains don’t come from an old timer adventurer they sound more like of newbies, i would be expected you criticize other puzzles later at the game, but this one far from being anything at all, even mentioning it.
i hope nothing in my post suggesting any but being surprised.
cheers

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Advie, I am an old timer. Very old. My criticism is nothing to do with old or new. I have noticed that people here are more forgiving to a game just because it is new - not me. The best adventure games have always relied on good puzzles. A lot of people suffer from what I like to call the “shiny new thing” effect, where just because a game is new makes it good, while if it was old it would be bad. Should a game like Les Manley released today be forgiven for its horrible puzzles? Memoranda is no different.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

BitingWit - 12 February 2017 05:01 AM

Advie, I am an old timer. Very old. My criticism is nothing to do with old or new. I have noticed that people here are more forgiving to a game just because it is new - not me. The best adventure games have always relied on good puzzles. A lot of people suffer from what I like to call the “shiny new thing” effect, where just because a game is new makes it good, while if it was old it would be bad. Should a game like Les Manley released today be forgiven for its horrible puzzles? Memoranda is no different.

if you are old timer then you already had forgiven Monkey Island and its Monkey Wrench puzzle, traditional adventures will never be rational adventures, they must have these silly puzzles, especially when one game starts with surreal nature .
and speaking of Les Manley and Memoranda they have similarity, where one you had have a litreal dream at your inventory and another you can have voice frequencies same in your inventory, but the difference in this similarity comes with the execution and i think Memoranda shown from the very beginning with the disappearing to the stone kidney from your inventory how surreal it is, so when it comes to a natural thing of giving sweets to a little kid no one should complain IMO

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

The monkey wrench puzzle had 2 solid clues:
1: The shape of the monkey in your inventory (similar to a wrench)
2: The verbal link between “monkey wrench” and the item you are using it on, the pump.

There are many puzzles in Memoranda which gave you much less to work with, or even nothing.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

ok, its not that i am the developer of Memoranda or a pledge(r) or even its for me better than my last year Fav Anna Quest, so i wont have defend it anymore, but point taken BitingWit

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

BitingWit - 12 February 2017 05:22 AM

The monkey wrench puzzle had 2 solid clues:
1: The shape of the monkey in your inventory (similar to a wrench)
2: The verbal link between “monkey wrench” and the item you are using it on, the pump.

There are many puzzles in Memoranda which gave you much less to work with, or even nothing.

1: I wouldn’t exactly call this a distinctly wrench form, to me it just looks like a monkey in an odd posture.
2: “Monkey wrench” is a uniquely American term, and only few outside of America had ever heard the term.

The monkey wrench puzzle still stands out as one of, if not THE worst puzzles in the entire history of Adventure gaming!

Now I haven’t played Memoranda, so I don’t know if there are any puzzles that are worse, but that would be quite a feat Wink

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Iznogood - 12 February 2017 09:41 AM

2: “Monkey wrench” is a uniquely American term, and only few outside of America had ever heard the term.

Good point. Here’s an interesting tidbit:

During development, the German translator Boris Schneider tried to convince Ron Gilbert to change the monkey wrench puzzle because it makes little sense in German. His idea was to switch out the monkey for an Englishman (“Engländer” is about the same idiom as “monkey wrench”). However, Gilbert did not gave in.

So at least they acknowledged it as a tough puzzle. Nowadays a lot of games just use it as an excuse to throw in totally illogical puzzles when the fact is, it was an exception rather than a rule.

Total Posts: 495

Joined 2008-07-23

PM

Iznogood - 12 February 2017 09:41 AM

The monkey wrench puzzle still stands out as one of, if not THE worst puzzles in the entire history of Adventure gaming!

The puzzle where you have to go to the main menu options and lower the music volume in Deponia sure it`s a strong contender for the crown.

Women come and go… a highscore lasts forever

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top