• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dale

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Gog releasing some old adventures

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Egon - 02 January 2018 06:09 AM

I really hope GOG will release Duckman: The Graphic Adventures of a Private Dick.
It’s one adventure I have really fond memories of and would love to replay it, but it doesn’t work on anything above win95.

Not sure how often thay look at it but can’t hurt to vote for it on the wishlist

https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/duckman_the_graphic_adventures_of_a_private_dick

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2012-12-22

PM

Egon - 02 January 2018 06:09 AM

I really hope GOG will release Duckman: The Graphic Adventures of a Private Dick.
It’s one adventure I have really fond memories of and would love to replay it, but it doesn’t work on anything above win95.

Never tried it but it looks interesting.

Story rich DRM-free games for Windows, Mac and linux for direct download - https://fireflowergames.com/. Half the profit goes to projects that benefit the environment and game related projects.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

OK, this is a huge, huge, huge deal that I didn’t think would ever happen: Death Gate!

Not only is it a brilliant game that everyone should play, it might mean that the rest of the Legend games might be making their way to GOG.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Kurufinwe - 03 January 2018 09:18 AM

OK, this is a huge, huge, huge deal that I didn’t think would ever happen: Death Gate!

Not only is it a brilliant game that everyone should play, it might mean that the rest of the Legend games might be making their way to GOG.

Whoa. Amazing start of the year for gog!

Seems like it is published by Piko Interactive that’s a studio working on retro stuff, like Night Dive Studios. Hopefully they’ll continue to tackle the rest of Legend stuff.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

wilco - 03 January 2018 10:54 AM

Whoa. Amazing start of the year for gog!

Downloading now. Smile I hope can finally, finally play Death Gate! I have the game on CD, started it years ago. But I got distracted, which angered the game so much that it refused to work properly when I returned to it. Not in DOSbox, not even on my Win95 machine.

Seems like it is published by Piko Interactive that’s a studio working on retro stuff, like Night Dive Studios. Hopefully they’ll continue to tackle the rest of Legend stuff.

I’ve never heard of Piko Interactive. Isn’t Atari the legal owner of the name Legend Entertainment? At least, that’s what Bob Bates said.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Karlok - 03 January 2018 11:36 AM

I’ve never heard of Piko Interactive. Isn’t Atari the legal owner of the name Legend Entertainment? At least, that’s what Bob Bates said.

Probably but the rights to some old games are not very simple, even more with stuff related to Atari so gog alone doesn’t make efforts to sort out this stuff and company like Night Dive, and now it seems Piko, does that job to get the rights to release it digitally.

Just to see how messed up it can get you can read the story of how Night Dive wanted to release No One Lives Forever (not an adventure)
https://kotaku.com/the-sad-story-behind-a-dead-pc-game-that-cant-come-back-1688358811

A some Legend games also involve book adaptations so I wonder if that can make things harder

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Death Gate is based on a 7 book series.

I rememeber liking the books.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

One of the first PC games I owned.

I have very fond memories, in that, I remember really enjoying it but not another thing about it.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Was looking at the Piko site and they seem to have bought the rights to 60 IPs from Atari/Infogrames (with the Legend name in there)

http://pikointeractive.com/blog/

Of course Atari/Infogrames own a ton of IPs (Microprose! Ocean!) but I expect more Legend games being released

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2003-11-23

PM

Death Gate! Heart Eyes Legend Entertainment! Heart

Oh, this IS HUGE. Huge enough to get me out of the woodwork, in fact. (Again.)

I wonder if Bob Bates is involved in any way with Piko acquiring the rights? He mentioned trying and failing numerous times to get rights to Legend games from Atari when I asked him about it while backing Thaumistry a year ago.

wilco - 03 January 2018 12:16 PM

some Legend games also involve book adaptations so I wonder if that can make things harder

In fact, vast majority of their games were adaptations - Eric the Unready, Timequest and the Spellcasting series being the only exceptions as far as I can remember without consulting Google — and yes, this definitely muddles the right issues. But that’s why the fact that GOG started (started? fingers crossed) with an adaptation only makes me happier and more optimistic about future releases.

Lucien21 - 03 January 2018 01:13 PM

Death Gate is based on a 7 book series.

I rememeber liking the books.

I thought the books were fine, but got almost tangibly worse and more meandering after the fourth one. The game was written before the cycle was completed, and is (quite loose) retelling of three and a half books, with a completely invented ending, and is IMO all the better for it. An adaptation distillation, if I ever saw one.

This space intentionally left blank.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

AFGNCAAP - 04 January 2018 03:25 PM

I thought the books were fine, but got almost tangibly worse and more meandering after the fourth one. The game was written before the cycle was completed, and is (quite loose) retelling of three and a half books, with a completely invented ending, and is IMO all the better for it. An adaptation distillation, if I ever saw one.

I never read the books but it seems like a good job since the plot is easily understandable even if it moves fast. I do remember there’s a lot of exposition at beginning before things start rolling to set the world up. But for me where the game shines above others is in the puzzles and their design.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Kinda sad that I’ll have to find a new “hidden gem” now but oh well.

About the NOLF article and the topic in general, a naive question: what if they just released it? To sue them someone would have to prove they own the rights, and in the process of trying to acquire said rights they found out nobody can conclusively do that, so doesn’t that mean they’re safe?

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Antrax - 06 January 2018 02:44 AM

About the NOLF article and the topic in general, a naive question: what if they just released it? To sue them someone would have to prove they own the rights, and in the process of trying to acquire said rights they found out nobody can conclusively do that, so doesn’t that mean they’re safe?

Well somebody owns the rights, and that somebody is not Night Dive, so that would end up in a lawsuit for sure. And what’s the point of releasing something illegally? That would be abandonware that you need to pay for. You can simply download abandonware, it’s better than pay for a version that is not legal to begin with.

Anyway, the copyright issue of NOLF was always a mess. I once wrote an article about the game (was years ago) and in that article I wondered how PC version and PS2 version had completely different companies listed on the game cover. I was unknowingly forseeing events to come, it seems…  Wink

As for seeing NOLF rereleased legally, I really hope that happens. It’s a very good game and it is a shame indeed if it fades into obscure depths of abandonware.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

GateKeeper - 06 January 2018 05:51 AM

Well somebody owns the rights

Not necessarily. Maybe legally the rights are owned by a now-defunct legal entity? Maybe they’re split in a way that’s too much trouble to figure out?

that would end up in a lawsuit for sure.

No, it would end up in a lawsuit IF someone who believes they own the rights to the game believes it’s worth the hassle of going through a lawsuit for it. I’m not sure any of the studios believe themselves to own the rights, and even the ones who think they may might not want to go through the trouble (and cost) of figuring it out to get some cut of whatever meager profits the game will make.

And what’s the point of releasing something illegally?

From whose perspective? And my point was, if the law doesn’t 100% makes sense here and you’re unlikely to be penalized for breaking it, why not consider it?

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Lighthouse released now

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top