• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Gog releasing some old adventures

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Venkman - 05 May 2017 02:55 AM
giom - 04 May 2017 11:57 AM

What I don’t understand though is why GOG doesn’t release mac versions using ScummVM. It wouldn’t be a lot of work to repackage the games to do that.

If they can’t for legal reasons, they could at least provide a zip file instead of forcing us to use wine or parallels to run the installer so that we can get the files and drop them in scummvm.

Yea was gonna come here to ask about this. I guess I’ll just buy a cheap Windows laptop for retro gaming one of these days.

Why would gog release mac versions? Old sierra games weren’t on mac. Might as well ask them to release PS4 and Xbob versions…

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Yea was gonna come here to ask about this. I guess I’ll just buy a cheap Windows laptop for retro gaming one of these days.

It’s really all about what the current rights holder wants. If Activision doesn’t want to have an official Linux or Mac versions out there, no matter how simple the actual implementation is, GOG can’t just decide themselves release it under non-officially supported platforms.

Yeah, it’s stupid, especially with DosBox or ScummVM games, but Activision is what it is.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Headycakesofdoom - 05 May 2017 03:05 AM

Why would gog release mac versions?

So that people can play them on macs.

Old sierra games weren’t on mac. Might as well ask them to release PS4 and Xbob versions…

This seems an odd objection. Should GOG only release games for DOS, then? Windows 7 or 10 have about as much in common with classic DOS as a Mac does.

If the games are running via ScummVM, they run from the game’s data files rather than the original engine. ScummVM is supported on Mac and Linux, so it does seem a little odd that they don’t offer versions for Mac and Linux. Most peculiarly the Larry games are available for Mac and nothing else from Sierra is - it looks as though the Larry rights are with Codemasters rather than Activision, though, so tomimt could be right that it’s their decision rather than GOG’s.

Given that GOG games are DRM-free, presumably one could buy the game there, install it on a Windows machine, copy the relevant data files to a Mac and run the game using the mac version of ScummVM. That does seem rather inconvenient though.

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Phlebas - 05 May 2017 04:38 AM

Old sierra games weren’t on mac. Might as well ask them to release PS4 and Xbob versions…

This seems an odd objection. Should GOG only release games for DOS, then? Windows 7 or 10 have about as much in common with classic DOS as a Mac does.

If the games are running via ScummVM, they run from the game’s data files rather than the original engine. ScummVM is supported on Mac and Linux, so it does seem a little odd that they don’t offer versions for Mac and Linux. Most peculiarly the Larry games are available for Mac and nothing else from Sierra is - it looks as though the Larry rights are with Codemasters rather than Activision, though, so tomimt could be right that it’s their decision rather than GOG’s.

Given that GOG games are DRM-free, presumably one could buy the game there, install it on a Windows machine, copy the relevant data files to a Mac and run the game using the mac version of ScummVM. That does seem rather inconvenient though.

Well i appreciate your argument, but here is a list of the platforms supported by scummvm besides pc. I take it you will be petitioning gog to release their games for each of these?
AmigaOS
Android
Android-SDL
Atari/FreeMiNT
Dreamcast
Haiku
iPhoneiPhone,
iPod Touch and iPadMac OS
XMaemo maemoOS 2006, 2007, 2008 and Maemo5/FremantleOS/2
PlayStation 3
PlayStation Portable
Raspberry PI
SamsungTV

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Headycakesofdoom - 05 May 2017 04:56 AM

Well i appreciate your argument, but here is a list of the platforms supported by scummvm besides pc. I take it you will be petitioning gog to release their games for each of these?
AmigaOS
Android
Android-SDL
Atari/FreeMiNT
Dreamcast
Haiku
iPhoneiPhone,
PlayStation 3
PlayStation Portable
Raspberry PI
SamsungTV

Of course not. But given that:

1) GOG already offer a lot of games for Mac and a fair number for Linux
2) If the games are running under ScummVM on Windows it is not a lot of work to have them working on Mac and Linux also
3) There are actual customers who would like to play the games on Mac and Linux rather than Windows. You can see some further up this thread.

it would seem an obviously sensible move.

(For what it’s worth, Raspberry Pi runs Linux so wouldn’t need a separate release. Android is also a version of linux, but different enough to need its own version. There is an Android version of ScummVM, though - so if GOG were to start selling Android games, classic adventures would be an obvious fit)

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Advie - 04 May 2017 11:21 AM

what are you talking about, GOG is not doing it job the way it should be with all the Copy Protections and Bugs still apparent. it’s time we stop applauding for anything for sake of the genre like spoiling a lousy kid.

This has absolutely nothing to do with my response to you, don’t have a clue why you brought this up when quoting my post.

Then it might be you who have no idea of what you are talking about.. so just make way or ignore me.

btw If there is anyone happy about Sierra finally getting the attention it’s me but I can’t help pointing out something or another about GOG sleazy job.

Total Posts: 188

Joined 2004-03-18

PM

Headycakesofdoom - 05 May 2017 04:56 AM
Phlebas - 05 May 2017 04:38 AM

AmigaOS
Android
Android-SDL
Atari/FreeMiNT
Dreamcast
Haiku
iPhoneiPhone,
PlayStation 3
PlayStation Portable
Raspberry PI
SamsungTV

Why be a tool about it? Mac and Linux are GOG’s other big platforms, and so the perfectly logical question was, if the games run on ScummVM or DOSbox, and there are Mac/Linux versions of those, why not?

The question has been answered satisfactorily, and there’s no need at all for you to be a moron.

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Venkman - 05 May 2017 12:43 PM

Why be a tool about it? Mac and Linux are GOG’s other big platforms, and so the perfectly logical question was, if the games run on ScummVM or DOSbox, and there are Mac/Linux versions of those, why not?

The question has been answered satisfactorily, and there’s no need at all for you to be a moron.

Only one moron in this thread, and it’s the moron that launched personal attacks on advie and myself for no reason. PM me if you need another hint to who that person is because theres no need to clog up the thread with more of your ramblings.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

GOG offered Linux installations of some of the DOS games I’d gotten from them, but when I tried them I found they worked poorly. Most of them only installed to a temporary folder and were gone with the next reboot. I had to manually copy them from the temporary folder to my user folder in order not to have them disappear. It was easier to install the games on my Windows partition, copy the game files from there to my Linux partition, and use the Linux version of DOSBox or ScummVM to play them. At the time I was using Mint 17, one of the recommended versions of Linux at GOG.

I don’t know how well their Mac installers work, but if it’s no better than their Linux installer, you’re better off copying the installed game files from a Windows computer (or Windows partition on the same computer).

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

It’s probably a problem with by Mac being a bit old but most of the Mac games on gog I’ve tried to install always end up not working… Last one I tried was Fran Bow.
Meanwhile I’ve been using it to play most of the Sierra games, use Wine for the installer and run with Dosbox, it’s pretty fast and works great. Would be simpler with the zip file instead of a installer but they probably can’t.

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Kurufinwe - 04 May 2017 09:12 AM

Sierra’s best game is finally on GOG. Also Conquests of Camelot.

https://www.gog.com/game/conquests_of_camelot
https://www.gog.com/game/conquests_of_the_longbow

Cool news, though I must say I’m slightly weirded out by some of GOG’s chosen screenshots to market Longbow. Someone clearly amused themselves by using screenshots with eyebrow-raising quotes—

“Meet me in my cell after midnight and we shall…uh…pray together”
“Oh, and known to have intimate relations with sheep”
“A man selling either hose or a condom of extraordinary length”

But GOG probably could have chosen better screenshots to give a more representative sense of the game’s tone and its special mechanics (e.g. archery, choosing battle strategies).

The Camelot screenshots seem more fitting, at least.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Good catch Caliburn…
There’s also too a screenshot of girls entertaining the guards and more quotes that can be taken out of context…

It’s like the GOG employee who took the screenshot wanted to present Conquest of the Longbow as a game similar to Leisure Suit Larry when it’s far from the truth…

Total Posts: 188

Joined 2004-03-18

PM

Headycakesofdoom - 05 May 2017 12:57 PM
Venkman - 05 May 2017 12:43 PM

Only one moron in this thread, and it’s the moron that launched personal attacks on advie and myself for no reason. PM me if you need another hint to who that person is because theres no need to clog up the thread with more of your ramblings.

No, you were taking an intentionally obtuse position on the Mac question and attempting to belittle others with your responses. So I belittled you.

Advie did the same thing, making a condescending remark about somebody who was happy about a Willy Beamish hint book (another wrong position, as the game is known for having bad timed/random puzzles).

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

GOG interviewed Christy Marx about creating Conquest of the Longbow and Camelot. It’s a good read.

https://www.gog.com/news/interview_with_the_creator_of_the_conquests_adventures

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Venkman - 07 May 2017 07:17 AM

Advie did the same thing, making a condescending remark about somebody who was happy about a Willy Beamish hint book (another wrong position, as the game is known for having bad timed/random puzzles).

so is that it? why don’t you talk straight man, you are right what i said about jobloshow comment wasn’t appropriate at all, i don’t why did i mock the way of someone uses hint books or not…  my apologies jobloshow

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top