• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Acknowledging the importance of Resident Evil 7 to the genre

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2009-06-18

PM

Hi everyone. I may be barging into an open door here, but it seems to me that the adventure community is overlooking the importance and meaning of Resident Evil 7. You see, 17 years ago, Capcom released it’s last “Adventure oriented” Resident Evil - Code Veronica. At that time the mainstream industry treated the adventure genre as a dying relic, and the big companies took notice. The hybrid genre - Action/adventure, which gave us some excellent games regarded by adventure gamers as genre staples, such as alone in the dark, realms of the haunting, silent hill and indeed resident evil, gradually neglected it’s adventure elements. In 2005 Capcom overhauled the Resident evil franchise in the form of an action-oriented Resident evil 4. Silent hill: The room which was released a bit earlier, retained it’s adventure elements. It got a lukewarm reception by both media and gamers, and essentially doomed the entire franchise.
Now, 12 years after the release of Resident evil 4, in an industry where action/adventure usually means action oriented gameplay in an adventurous setting (Uncharted, Tom raider etc), Capcom released Resident Evil 7, and guess what? It’s a full blown adventure. It has logic and inventory puzzles, it rewards exploration and paying attention to details, and yes - while you still have to fight enemies, you are once again encouraged to hide and avoid them. Even the “boss battles” are mostly won by puzzle solving. And most importantly - the game received both critical praise and great sales. 17 years after the genre was eulogized, we know that it’s stronger than ever. But now, it seems that the AAA companies are taking notice as well.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

doron - 02 February 2017 06:25 AM

It’s a full blown adventure. It has logic and inventory puzzles

Gasp

while you still have to fight enemies

Shifty Eyed

Pan

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

That actually makes me want to try Resident Evil 7. I have very good memories of the first one, it was an hybrid yes but it had some good puzzles (I remember liking the piano puzzle).

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

nomad? Smile

The horror and adventure genre do blend a lot. In some series more than others, I think the Silent Hill games had even more adventure elements than RE.
Taking the series back to its to roots seems to have been a good move, at least for critics and fans. Lets hope the sales are worth it for Capcom or it will be only this one.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 02 February 2017 12:47 PM

nomad? Smile

The horror and adventure genre do blend a lot. In some series more than others, I think the Silent Hill games had even more adventure elements than RE.
Taking the series back to its to roots seems to have been a good move, at least for critics and fans. Lets hope the sales are worth it for Capcom or it will be only this one.

SHill also had different puzzles on different difficulty
I agree with the poster, RE7 is by far best Inventory based puzzle game in recent memory
inb4 ban threats

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

The hybrid genre - Action/adventure, which gave us some excellent games regarded by adventure gamers as genre staples, such as ... realms of the haunting, silent hill and indeed resident evil, gradually neglected it’s adventure elements

I’ve never met an adventure game fan that even considered any of those to be adventure games, let alone staples of the genre.  I’m not an adventure game purist, and I play all kinds of genres, but those are really far from being adventure games, IMO.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Detective Mosely - 02 February 2017 10:54 PM

those are really far from being adventure games, IMO.

I think if you remove Shooting/fighting from Re7, Hitman2016, Sh1-3, RE1,2,Outbreak, Persona 5 etc
They will make excellent AGs
Puzzles of RE and SH were so good, they never felt bad on replaying
SH series has by far most creative and made sense for the world, lots of exploration and item hunting, then solving riddles

8:46 was my fav part, damn SH maps alone were nightmare, you have all these doors, open and closed, then next thing you know in nightmare version , doors and paths change

Total Posts: 313

Joined 2014-07-01

PM

As I read the first post I had this feeling that I had traveled 12-13 years into this forum’s past in a smelly Chron-o-John and it got my adventure senses tingling. So I applied the hyper-acute analytical skills that I have honed over decades of adventure game playing and discovered shocking and irrefutable evidence about the true identity of doron.

Look at this picture:

Now look closely:

Coincidence??? I think not! Doron is none other than Purple Tentacle!!! He has come here with a diabolical plan to pollute the adventure genre with action sequences so he can finally defeat those of us with slow reflexes as he knows he can never beat our intellects. We must stop him at all costs or our genre identity is doomed!!!

Total Posts: 74

Joined 2017-01-13

PM

That would’ve been extremely funny if it wasn’t such a brilliant, but disturbing find!

Well done, D! Well done

(i genuinly lol’d)

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

nomadsoul - 03 February 2017 06:31 AM

I think if you remove Shooting/fighting from Re7, Hitman2016, Sh1-3, RE1,2,Outbreak, Persona 5 etc

Persona is an RPG.  Silent Hill and Resident Evil are survival horror.  Hitman is a thinking man’s action game.

I’m not saying this makes them any way inferior to adventure games.  (Hell, I like Persona more than the vast majority of AGs)  They’re just a different genre.  I don’t know why people feel like they have to call things that aren’t adventure games adventure games.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Detective Mosely - 03 February 2017 06:43 PM
nomadsoul - 03 February 2017 06:31 AM

Persona is an RPG.  Silent Hill and Resident Evil are survival horror.  Hitman is a thinking man’s action game.

As mentioned in my point, if you remove the aspect of shooting and other stuff, only in that context
Like LAnoire has action and lots of shooting, but treated as adventure here, but imo still an action adventure

In examples above, my point is if certain game in RPG adventure, Survival horror, Action adventure, their adventure aspects are more fleshed out and done in a way that are preferable to standalone total AG
For eg Silenthill puzzles and adventure aspects are better than some full AGs
Not saying SH is an adventure game totally
Comparison exists only because they do adventure better, apart from having other aspects
Thats the reason when Shattered memories removed action elements and gun shooting etc
It was included here as AG, all of sudden it became AG, there is only that action that makes it different in todays market of overlapping game elements
Same for Torment,Omikron, DeusEX and Shenmue, some other Genre’s Adventure game elements are more fun and fleshed out
And persona5 has lots of talking, choices, relationship development and exploration etc
All AG elements, which i love more than turnbased action fights, if you remove that action part, its a solid AG on its own

Like recent TR, which had number of Tombs and great puzzles, again scratching my AG itch more than recent AGs

Thing is Adventure elements are becoming part of big games
You cannot say there is no Adventure in action adventure or Rpg adventure, there is lots of adventure as a part of hybrid game design

Total Posts: 683

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

Hang on a second let me just check….. Nope it still says Adventure Gamers, not action adventure gamers.
In the words of the mighty Zobraks “I’ll know an adventure game when I see one” I certainly hope the new management will too.

Shouldn’t this be moved to General?

I Am the Knight of the Order of the Sun!

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

SpeedBo - 03 February 2017 09:19 PM

Hang on a second let me just check….. Nope it still says Adventure Gamers, not action adventure gamers.
In the words of the mighty Zobraks “I’ll know an adventure game when I see one” I certainly hope the new management will too.

Shouldn’t this be moved to General?

maybe not, the thread Acknowledging mayhap based on SH being here at the site, so until its proven otherwise i guess it should stay here in the adventure section… but then as if its up to me Tongue

as for the part of the Mighty™-Zobraks, wasn’t there a quiz (i guess it was diego) giving shots from different games than adventures and asking if we could find out which is which… i guess that would be a marvelous quiz (reboot) if made on a big scale, Darki are there?

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Did the old management know? Alone In The Dark is listed on the site, although it is listed as a hybrid.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

BitingWit - 03 February 2017 10:01 PM

Did the old management know? Alone In The Dark is listed on the site, although it is listed as a hybrid.

http://www.adventuregamers.com/games/view/15777

It says genre horror

Man where were you when i was discussing the matter with Tim

Mini Frown

Edit

TimovieMan - 23 January 2017 06:26 PM

I haven’t found a single source that’s NOT calling them “survival horror”. You’re the only one.

I found the source on your site Laughing
I am not the only one

Thank you Adventure gamers

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Beautiful detective work, D!  Grin Thumbs Up

The reason for using the labels RPG, shooter, action, and survival horror instead of adventure is so that people like me won’t waste good money for a game in which death happens every time they turn a corner.  Don’t complicate things.  Resident Evil requires fast twitch muscles, of which I have none.  Having to figure out a puzzle before going back to slaying/hiding from enemies does not make it an adventure game.  It makes it an action game with a puzzle. Smile

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top