• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Carleszobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Funniest Comedy Games

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I don’t really like concentrating on the negatives so I’m not participating in the Unfunniest Comedy Game thread.

So, to combat the negativity, let’s instead celebrate games that made us laugh.  So, which game made you laugh, which game do you remember because of the giggles it caused?

My personal list off the top of my head:
- Book of Unwritten Tales
- Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon
- Simon the Sorcerer 1 and 2
- Secret of Monkey Island 1 & 2 but I’ve laughed more at the 1st one. I still remember as a kid finding the security of the door in the vegetarian cannibal village hilariously funny.
- Machinarium (but it’s more continuous grinning rather than laughing out loud)
- Discworld (all of them but then I’m a big fan of Discworld)
- Day of the Tentacle (I’m still a big fan of the scene with the hamster…)
- Ankh (but I played it in German so I’m not sure how the humour translates in English)

Disclaimer: I tend to be very much into British humour, sarcasm, self deprecation and deadpan deliveries.

There are most likely other games but those are the ones I most remember.

Life is too short to spend time complaining, better to focus on what we enjoy Smile

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

If I think about games that made me laugh, there are two that stand out for having me in stitches most of the time:

- Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
- Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon

Other games that I fondly remember as being funny (off the top of my head, I could very well be forgetting several):

- the other Ace Attorney games (but the first one takes the crown)
- all four Monkey Island games
- Day of the Tentacle
- Grim Fandango
- the first three Simon the Sorcerer games
- most Larry games, especially Love For Sail
- Discworld and Discworld Noir (never played Missing Presumed)
- Freddy Pharkas, Frontier Pharmacist
- Monty Python’s Complete Waste of Time
- Flight of the Amazon Queen

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5045

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’ll certainly second

CCS and
FPFP and add
Al Emmo

I’ll limit LSL games to the last three.

I’ll add the last two SQ games. Favorite was Spinal Frontier except for the maze at the end.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 74

Joined 2017-01-13

PM

giom - 30 January 2017 12:53 PM

I don’t really like concentrating on the negatives so I’m not participating in the Unfunniest Comedy Game thread.

So, to combat the negativity, let’s instead celebrate games that made us laugh…

...Life is too short to spend time complaining, better to focus on what we enjoy Smile

Since you’re referring to the negativity of the…other…thread Tongue i feel that touching on this is also on topic.

I don’t consider it negative to reflect on past games’ possible lack of humor and to discuss this. And jumping from a ‘negative vibe’ standpoint to people complaining (apparently) is a jump that easily kills potentially interesting and opinion-changing conversations.

It’s nice to celebrate success and focus on enjoyment from time to time, but any improvement in life comes not from looking at success, but analyzing failure. This has nothing to do with negativity (from my end at least).

As for the other part of the topic:

I had some good laughs with Monkey Island 1 + 2. Mostly part 2. I thoroughly enjoyed the characters in Day of the Tentacle.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

its these occasions - when everyone get hotblooded aganst one statement - when i know it must hold lots of rightousness

wrong thread it was directed for Venkman comment on the other thread

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Bitano - 30 January 2017 04:02 PM
giom -

date=“1485798785”
It’s nice to celebrate success and focus on enjoyment from time to time, but any improvement in life comes not from looking at success, but analyzing failure. This has nothing to do with negativity (from my end at least).

Oh I agree that analyzing failure is a good way to improve (although looking at successes is also needed and useful) but I feel that this works a lot better when looking at an otherwise good game that fails in some regards rather than focusing on the unfunniest games.

If you focus on the unfunniest games, all you get is a negative vibe and people who are hurt because their favorite game is derided. There’s no constructive analysis,  just bashing.

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

TimovieMan - 30 January 2017 03:21 PM

Oh, yes forgot about those two. Those also had good laughs Smile

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

I am a Simon the Sorcerer fan and the first 3 games made me laugh out loud. Simon 4 and 5 were duds, as far as I am concerned.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Both topics suit me fine, don’t see anything negative about sharing opinions on games at a game forum. I can live with other people not liking something I like and otherwise Smile My opinion on some things also changed with years, for example, I used to love parody, but prefer irony, satire and character comedy today.

-Monkey Island 1/2 - a perfect mix of everything I like. Having many laughs with every replay, a really cool world, rich in detail and fun to explore. Later games focused on dialogues too much and lost in humour imho.

-Zork: Grand Inquisitor - same, a lot of things are thrown together, including some of the wackiest characters and great political satire. A very quotable game.

-Tex Murphy series - everything one might expect from a B-movie-game, with a clumsy PI as the main cause of chaos in the already crazy world.

-Anachronox - not really an adventure, although some might say it is. Either way, a very funny game, kind of meta-humour I particularly enjoy.

-Beneath a Steel Sky, Full Throttle, Broken Sword series - not comedy, just well-written games with occasional glimpses of humour which I really enjoy.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

For me the #1 spot is taken by Bureaucracy followed by Starship Titanic. You just can’t beat Douglas Adams’ sense of humour.

I agree with Discworld mentions and Callahan’s, and of course Zork - all very funny games.

The text adventure Lost Pig and Eric The Unready are both quite amusing.

Last year’s Put A Sock In It barely qualifies as an adventure (it’s all dialogue tree) but gave me many laughs. You could put The Asylum: Psychiatric Clinic For Abused Cuddly Toys in the same category.

Lucasarts games? Well, I can’t deny all the moments Monkey Island and Sam & Max made me smile.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i believe numbering funny moments at adventure games could only show and prove how very very rare they are, which only proves how worthless they are (to the discussion).. or how un-hilarious (to point of LOL) those games (in general) were, in another short meaning this doesn’t add to those of the opinion of comedy adventures are up to the point of laughing with tears , it only weaken it. i prefer it didnt reach this point because i want to feel relaxed about the fact; comedy adventures are funny (imo to) than to reach this point of desperation (desperately trying to prove how VERY-funny they are

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

giom - 30 January 2017 04:50 PM
TimovieMan - 30 January 2017 03:21 PM

Oh, yes forgot about those two. Those also had good laughs Smile

The thing about Monty Python’s Complete Waste of Time, though, is figuring out what’s actually funny because of the game, and what’s funny because it’s a good clip from Monty Python’s Flying Circus. I’m not sure the game adds a lot of humour on its own.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2014-11-04

PM

All of the Monkey Island games I found hilarious, not just the first two. Also Ben There, Dan That and Detective Grimoire.

Games that I thought had some great lines or funny moments were also the Blackwell series and the Nancy Drew series, even though those aren’t “comedy” genre. “Just looking for the castle soda pop machine” is my favorite excuse for walking around a hidden dungeon and will always be a classic.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Advie - 30 January 2017 06:08 PM

i believe numbering funny moments at adventure games could only show and prove how very very rare they are, which only proves how worthless they are.. or how unfunny those games (in general) were

I disagree, because the games that I consider funny have so many jokes in them that numbering them would be near impossible without providing half a transcript of the game.

Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon has an average of 25 puns per screens, very few of them are duds, and more than half of them are REALLY funny. I can think of dozens of funny lines from any of the Monkey Island games that I can quote by heart (and I’ve really only played them all twice, with ten years in-between, not more).

Having a fit of the giggles, falling off your chair from laughing, belly-laughing and whatnot is not something that’s going to happen all that many times within a single game, no matter how funny it is. But if every other line has you smiling, and a third of those even laughing out loud, then that game is insanely funny. And there’s more than a few adventure games that qualify if you ask me.

Edit:

I noticed you changed your first post. That makes my previous paragraph all the more relevant. A game doesn’t have to be laugh-out-loud funny ALL the time to be considered a hilarious game. Being consistently funny with a number of laugh-out-loud moments thrown in is more than enough.

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Oscar - 30 January 2017 06:08 PM

The text adventure Lost Pig and Eric The Unready are both quite amusing.

Yeah, Lost Pig was a lot of fun. Would love to have another Text Adventure Playthrough Smile

For Eric the Unready, I remember laughing at some of the newspaper headlines… IMO, it was much funnier than Sorcery 101.

TimovieMan - 30 January 2017 06:10 PM

The thing about Monty Python’s Complete Waste of Time, though, is figuring out what’s actually funny because of the game, and what’s funny because it’s a good clip from Monty Python’s Flying Circus. I’m not sure the game adds a lot of humour on its own.

Yes, for me it was my introduction to Monty Python. I don’t remember much of the game to be honest (it’s too long ago) but I remember that it made me laugh and made me start liking Monty Python   Crazy

TimovieMan - 30 January 2017 06:27 PM

Having a fit of the giggles, falling off your chair from laughing, belly-laughing and whatnot is not something that’s going to happen all that many times within a single game, no matter how funny it is. But if every other line has you smiling, and a third of those even laughing out loud, then that game is insanely funny. And there’s more than a few adventure games that qualify if you ask me.

Playing the game together with someone also helps with the laughing out loud part Smile

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i needed to point out that:
this discussion is very confusing to anyone who is not following it from the VERY start, as it would seem as argument is about adventures have Funny games or not.. or that the argument is taking place between the two sides those who are saying adventure gaming has funny games VS adventures haven’t funny games, but/while (since i was following it from the very start) the argument is ACTUALLY between the two sides of two opposing opinions about the fact of comedy adventure games, with two beliefs about the way comedy adventures really are:-
Humorous, Light-funny, Smile-cause(er) and Lips-Crackers VS Hilarious, Very-Funny, -Loud-Laughing-cause(er), Mouth Crackers.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top