• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What is more important, the puzzles or the story?

Total Posts: 1642

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

oh one last thing nomadsoul I started the last guardian bc the witcher was boring me, it is a fantastic game like you said, but you also said it couldnt be copied in any other medium I have to disagree while I love the game it doesnt come close to the original…

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

darthmaul - 13 January 2017 12:26 PM

It depends on what each person considers “interact"ing to be.  For me, TT games don’t allow actual interaction, nor do walking games.  They give illusions of interacting.  To some, that is clearly enough.  Not to me.

I know this topic has been beaten to death on here, so I don’t want to steer the conversation into a huge tangent about this.  But personally I feel that’s an extremely narrow-minded way to view interaction.

I won’t speak for every Telltale game, and certainly not for every “walking sim”, but I’ll just use The Walking Dead as an example, since to me it’s still the best the genre of story-heavy / puzzle-light adventure games have given us.

In most games you complete one section of puzzles or an action scene or whatever.  Then you view a 100% non-interactive cutscene.  In that respect the story itself is something that the user can hardly interact with at all.

When it comes to offering a story that you can actually interact with The Walking Dead is in the 99.99th percentile of games.  You’re able to influence not just how the plot goes down but the course of every single conversation.  In a much more truly interactive way than the typical adventure game way of being forced to click on all available conversation topics before the game will proceed.

Just because a game isn’t offering the same type of interaction that you were use to previously doesn’t mean it’s offering “no actual interaction”.  Compare it to games with 30 minute long cutscenes and try to tell me how it’s falling short in the interaction department.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Jdawg445 - 16 January 2017 06:40 PM

you said shenmue invented qte you were wrong as usual. you can rename a butterfinger too its still a butterfinger. who cares who coined the term qte, qte in one form or another has been around….

I was eager to correct nomadsoul, but in his defense he never said Shenmue invented QTE, only that Yu Suzuki coined the term.

But you are right on Shenmue not inventing those mechanics. I remember as an 8 year old kid in Turkey playing this Die Hard brawler arcade game that had QTE segments. This was years before Shenmue 1(or even the tech demo ‘What is Shenmue?’) got released.

And as it did for you The Last Guardian reminded me of Die Unendliche Geschichte as well.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Jdawg445 - 16 January 2017 07:20 PM

but you also said it couldnt be copied in any other medium

Because you are not playing and solving and gong through journey
Films are passive experience, and thats another debate but you have to consider that
physical connection through joypad or mouse changes the whole experience

And Your avatar is a game result of Puzzles as core not story
You cant even progress story without solving puzzles

So its nullifies your point that games are remembered for story like Chrono,FF7 etc
I gave various examples including the del toro video which destroys that idea
So okay even you dont accept words that are coined, thats secondary issue
What i meant that concepts are copied in gaming as gamedesign
not just Story design
They are remembered and are part of it
Like Stealth to openworld

And if Story is all you seek, then you should have watched TLG on youtube since gameplay
doesnt matter much to you

Like many out there i will remember TLG for the moments i played

You need to play Bloodborne and finish it , then come back
Your perception will change

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

nomadsoul - 17 January 2017 11:07 AM

So its nullifies your point that games are remembered for story like Chrono,FF7 etc

An avatar has NOTHING to do with a viewpoint, so his avatar nullifies nothing.

If anything, the fact that you use an avatar as an argument nullifies pretty much your entire post.

So okay even you dont accept words that are coined

Sure he does. But like me, he doesn’t place an overimportance on the coined word (or the person that coined it). It’s just a name.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

TimovieMan - 17 January 2017 03:14 PM

An avatar has NOTHING to do with a viewpoint, so his avatar nullifies nothing.

If anything, the fact that you use an avatar as an argument nullifies pretty much your entire post.

So okay even you dont accept words that are coined

Sure he does. But like me, he doesn’t place an overimportance on the coined word (or the person that coined it). It’s just a name.

Chill down Tim
Just chill
Its just my opinion

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

jdawg - 16 January 2017 09:27 PM

butterfinger

Butterfinger is not a genre
Cyberpunk and Survival Horror are, as subtle and nuanced as they are
So nope you got it wrong Bro

Origami - 16 January 2017 09:27 PM

I was eager to correct nomadsoul, but in his defense he never said Shenmue invented QTE, only that Yu Suzuki coined the term.

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Just neatly integrate the puzzles in the story and ta-daa, you’re golden (I know, I know, harder than it sounds Laughing )

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

For me, story is most important.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top