• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What is more important, the puzzles or the story?

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2007-09-01

PM

I’ve been playing adventure games for a while now, but I mostly never played them for the puzzles, but for the story. Especially when it comes to inventory-style crazy puzzles. I like puzzles in certain games (Day of the Tentacle, Discworld Noir), and I like certain puzzles in some games, but it seems to me that puzzles are just something that supports the story, even in puzzle-heavy adventures. The exception may be Myst-styled adventures.

What about you?

Total Posts: 683

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

Hmm.. It seems to me without puzzles, you end up with a post Back to the Future Telltale game. Without story you get Rhem.

It’s more of a combination of the two that makes it good to me.
I’m more willing to look over the puzzles if the story is good, but then I’ll be more likely to look up a walkthrough. And good puzzles, but no story puts me to sleep.

The best games walk a fine line.

I Am the Knight of the Order of the Sun!

Total Posts: 208

Joined 2014-01-27

PM

In my opinion, story is more important than puzzles. You can’t have a great game without a good story.

“Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!”- Guybrush Threepwood

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

I definitely agree that the story is more important. I played all of the Rhem games because I do enjoy challenging puzzles but I always ended up getting bored with them and would use a walkthrough just to get to the end Meh As for story rich games like a lot of the walking sims can be enjoyable especially if the story is good, but yet without puzzles it just doesn’t feel like an adventure game. I guess for me a nice happy medium is what I prefer, a good story with integrated puzzles that enhance the story without ruining the immersion by just being thrown in for filler.

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Joined 2007-09-01

PM

Good. I was afraid that I just don’t get the genre Smile

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Puzzles/gameplay, but that’s the minority opinion around here.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

I did a poll thread
Narrative won, was voted most

Edit

Here

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/8013/

Joined 2007-09-01

PM

Thanks. It’s an interesting read.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Graphics.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I’d say the story but a story without puzzles à la Tell Tale bores me. I’ve only managed to finish the first season of Walking Dead.

I like to have at least as many puzzles as the first two chapters of King’s Quest. I guess my ideal ratio is the Longest Journey.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

In which category would you put exhausting the possibilities of a dialogue tree, or exploring a forest?

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Story is nothing unique to Adventure games anymore, back in the 90’s it was, but now pretty much every single game regardless of genre, has its main focus on the story, and to hell with the actual game mechanics that makes it a game Frown

Personally I still care a great deal about the game part, which in the case of AG is mainly the puzzles, so that is my answer Wink

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

@Iznogood, that’s a good point and I’d know hesitate more and more to classify games à la TellTale of being adventure games.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

Puzzles.  Most videogame stories are fairly boring and derivative.  I want an actual game.

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2017-01-04

PM

Ideally, the puzzle gameplay would mix perfectly with the story telling.

But of course, you can always have games with just one of them.

Making a point and click trading adventure game: Massive Galaxy

Total Posts: 247

Joined 2012-05-21

PM

Good puzzles are more important to me. If I just want good story, I’ll read a good book or watch a good movie/TV show. Obviously I’d prefer to have both be high quality but if one of the two is going to be weak in an adventure game I’d prefer it to be the story.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top