• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieGabrielwalas74zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Trine : How to save game?

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2010-02-16

PM

Hello,

I am playing Trine and I just can’t figure out how can I save the game so I can continue from where I was last.

Is there a button or combination I should press on the keyboard? The menu does not contain any ‘save game’ option…

The checkpoints do not help either since if I quit the game I MUST start again from the BEGINNING of the level!!!

FYI, there is a ‘save’ folder inside the game’s installation folder but it is always empty!

Any ideas?

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2012-09-24

PM

Hi,

Joel from developer Frozenbyte here. I can answer this, but sadly the short version is that you have to complete each level before the game is saved (which happens automatically then). Checkpoints only bring you to life within a session. The game is saved when you see the loading screen and hear the narrator talking. The reason for this is that our game engine at the time just didn’t support mid-level saving at all, which all comes from a small decision we made back in 2002 when we were writing the game technology that Trine is based on… For Trine 2 we spent a year re-writing pretty much everything, and thanks to that Trine 2 finally supports mid-level saving (save anywhere, in fact) and online multiplayer etc. But of course that doesn’t help with Trine. Frown  The levels aren’t super-long, but as you’ve noticed they do take some time to complete. The average is probably around 30-45 minutes.

There are cheats but that’s not really an ideal solution (do let me know if you want them though).

I hope knowing this helps at least a bit…

- Joel, Frozenbyte team, developers of Trine & Trine 2

Joined 2010-02-16

PM

JoelFB - 24 September 2012 02:42 PM

Hi,

Checkpoints only bring you to life within a session.

Exactly.

The levels aren’t super-long, but as you’ve noticed they do take some time to complete. The average is probably around 30-45 minutes.

There are cheats but that’s not really an ideal solution (do let me know if you want them though).

Hm, I am sure I could use a trick or two. I have two problems: It is my strong belief that the universe conspires against me as soon as I decide to extend my game play session more than 30 minutes (phones ringing, wife calling, my baby daughter wakes up etc). At that exact moment of utter unluck I am desperate to save the game.

The second is I have the game installed in two computers. How can I play in one and later continue in the other (since I cannot copy saved game files)?

I hope knowing this helps at least a bit…

Yes it does, indeed! Thank you so very much for your prompt reply. When I found the ‘save’ folder I was sure I could do save game but I just couldn’t find out how.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2012-09-24

PM

You can in fact move the saves - once you complete the first level it should create a save_slot1.dhs file in the profile/default/save folder. You can then just copy that. I believe this should work even with Steam Cloud enabled. You can disable Steam Cloud manually too though, config/options.txt and steam_cloud_enabled = 1 change to 0. (If the saves don’t appear, you can check the Steam Cloud local folder - Cloud saves should be under Steam folder in userdata/xxxxxxx/35700/remote or such folder, 35700 is the Trine ID).

As for cheats, there’s a few things… The easiest cheat is to warp. There’s the following commands available in the game console terminal (press F8 to open it):

d_warp_up - warps up
d_warp_down - warps down
d_warp_forward - warps forward

You can also chain these. So for example, writing this will warp the character a screen distance (using up is also good so the character doesn’t fall through the ground, which can happen often):

d_warp_forward;d_warp_forward;d_warp_up;d_warp_forward;d_warp_forward;d_warp_forward;

You can get the last console command by pressing the up arrow key in the terminal. Note that if you die while warping, you’ll be returned to the last checkpoint you reached, which can be ways back, so hitting checkpoints is always a good idea.

If you’re in a pinch, these will help a bit too:

runScriptProcessImmediately developer:immortal (only until next character change)
runScriptProcessImmediately developer:fullhealth

(And if you’re missing experience shards/vials, there’s d_next_shard, d_next_shard_enemy, d_next_shard_level )

I hope this helps and you get to enjoy the game. Smile

Joined 2010-02-16

PM

thank you very much for your invaluable help.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top