• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

2017/2018 Sierra roulette playthrough

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Advie - 23 April 2017 08:53 PM

Lol.. your fate is against you man, it have chosen Sierra Worst game of them all

and i was talking QfG at the other thread, i started it now, but i wouldn’t worry, with your pace you would catch me somewhere i guess (that if you started it soon anyways) Smile

I have a feeling Urban Runner is a very short game so I’ll probably get to QfG soon enough.

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Are you doing the Doctor Brain games? I think you should. Some of sierra’s best.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Yeah, I think you should space out the bad ones with some good ones. I really liked (and actually still like) the Dr. Brain series, it’s like a Layton game without the plot.
Some of the puzzles are a bit meh (either boring or cookie cutter) but they’re generally fun games.

Pepper’s Adventures in Time is also surprisingly good, Laura Bow is unforgiving but I loved it as a child, Gobliins are nice and I fondly remember the Robin Hood conquest game.

The really bad items (that I know) on your list are Iceman, the Camelot conquest (interesting mechanics but ridiculously unforgiving) and Ecoquest is just boring (edutainment the way you imagine it, basically).

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

It’s funny, I had very good memories of Willy Beamish and Ecoquest as a kid, not sure I’d still appreciate them now… I did buy a copy of Willy Beamish on gog but didn’t get around to it yet

I do second the recommendation for Conquest of the Longbox (but that’s a given, based on my avatar)... It’s one of the few games that I liked as much if not more when replaying it as when I first played it as an 11 years old.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Antrax - 24 April 2017 04:47 AM

Yeah, I think you should space out the bad ones with some good ones.

The Adventures of Willy Beamish is not a “bad one”! It got 84.75 out of 100 in the April 1993 edition of GameFan Magazine!

Shame on you all!  Angry

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Headycakesofdoom - 24 April 2017 04:23 AM

Are you doing the Doctor Brain games? I think you should. Some of sierra’s best.

Definitely, will get to them eventually.

Oscar - 24 April 2017 05:56 AM
Antrax - 24 April 2017 04:47 AM

Yeah, I think you should space out the bad ones with some good ones.

The Adventures of Willy Beamish is not a “bad one”! It got 84.75 out of 100 in the April 1993 edition of GameFan Magazine!

Shame on you all!  Angry

Shifty Eyed  I fell in the trap…

I’m in the dark to a lot of these games, so there’s a fun element of surprise at least.

The main actor in Urban Runner is the same from Police Quest: Open Season. At least in here he is running everywhere!
Game looks like cheesy FMV from in the beginning, so might not be so bad. Works great with ScummVM

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

wilco - 24 April 2017 06:09 AM

The main actor in Urban Runner is the same from Police Quest: Open Season. At least in here he is running everywhere!

It’s got that on Blade Runner. I mean, what’s with that title? More like Blade Walker, right?

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Oscar - 24 April 2017 06:15 AM
wilco - 24 April 2017 06:09 AM

It’s got that on Blade Runner. I mean, what’s with that title? More like Blade Walker, right?

Yeah, you can’t go wrong with the title Urban Runner, you get what you paid for!

And for some trivia - The game supposed to be called Lost in Town and part of a Coktel series starting with Lost in Time but Sierra decided to change strategies.
(Wonder if the next one would have been Lost in Space…)

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

I wonder if they’re related then? I never heard of Urban Runner but Lost in Time is also “FMV” (the way the term was used before the Tex games) and also received a lot of flak (another game I liked but I’ll readily admit it’s pretty flawed).

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Antrax - 24 April 2017 09:54 AM

I wonder if they’re related then? I never heard of Urban Runner but Lost in Time is also “FMV” (the way the term was used before the Tex games) and also received a lot of flak (another game I liked but I’ll readily admit it’s pretty flawed).

Coktel seems to have wanted it to be part of a series but Sierra had other ideas. No idea if any of the characters are related, gameplay seems to be very different, although both use FMV (Urban Runner more) and both are in first person.
Lost in Time it’s one of the games I rplayed many years ago, at least partially and don’t remember much…

Found this making-of Urban Runner but it’s in french so I don’t understand much

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i am playing the VGA and its much fun, i never (ahem) tried it before, it was never one of my favorite series of Sierra tho (strangely) it had been chosen as the best series of Sierra at one of the FB-Sierra-Gamers polls, and beware.. the Sierra fans there are extraordinary, if you think i am a die hard Sierra fan then think again.

Strangely i don’t remember how the Main theme is so Space Questy sounding

the game seems easy than i remember i am 100 points of 500 away in an hour time of play, i know i will get stuck soon, also i get lost easily just like i remember the same from my first (and only) old time play.

i might be getting the idea why people like it so much(and the series), it hadn’t aged at all least from the gameplaying style and mechanism perspective .

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I do think the coles were the best designers Sierra had back in the 80’s. They both were tabletop RPG players, so they already had a good grasp on how player driven gameplay worked and when they made QFQ an RPG/adventure hybrid they also did the smart thing of making the puzzles logically tied to the story itself as well as including thins that are purely optional.

In many ways, the QFG series just feels far more modern than any other title from Sierra of the 80’s. So in that sense, it’s no wonder it keeps popping up more and more these days, as it still is a very playable game as it is even today, whereas there’s always a caveat with any other title about how inherently unfair they are towards a player.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Advie - 24 April 2017 10:10 PM

the game seems easy than i remember i am 100 points of 500 away in an hour time of play

That’s probably because you’re playing the VGA version, which spoils half of the puzzles by listing all the possible conversation topics for each character, even those you don’t know about yet. That was horribly sloppy. (The AGDI QfG2 VGA handled this far better.)

The VGA version was my first experience with QfG1, and I regret it. I genuinely feel like it spoiled a big part of the game for me.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I finish Urban Runner, I’ll post more thoughts about it when the forum stabilizes but although it has a lot of problems it’s not as bad as I thought initially.

Starting QfG series now

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

*Dun da daaaaa daaaaa daaaaa da da da dahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!*

Did anyone else feel the magic user kind of got a raw deal in QfG? The fighter and rogue both had cool names and sounded like they actually were competent at something, but magic user?

“Back off man…. i’m a magic user!
“Lol! I’m shaking in my boots here! Did you bring your cape and eye shadow?”
“Hey.. it’s a serious profession! You can’t just pick up magic usering, it takes years of training and preparation!”
“Rofl! Don’t tell me you have one of those guild thingies too?”
“Well… yeah. Yeah we do. What of it”
“Lmao! Well you could have joined a good one. You know, like your fighter and thief friends who are each learning meaningful skills right now while you’re waving your magic wand about”
“Grr… ” :shut:

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top