Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Unable to change my avatar

Total Posts: 4994

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Dimensions and extenstion are okay, but it seems I can’t upload a new avatar. The old one doesn’t want to be removed either. This has happened to me once before, a few weeks back. (I change my avatar every week).

EDIT: It’s fine now. Smile No idea why it didn’t work before.

There is only one thing about truth that is certain. Truth… is dead.   Orwell: Ignorance is Strength

Total Posts: 1027

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

I’ve passed your complaint along, Karlok, but haven’t heard anything back yet. Your avatar looks different now than when I first saw your post, though. Can I assume that means it resolved itself at some point?

(Still obviously an underlying issue; just making sure there isn’t any urgency to resolve it.)

Editor-in-Chief, some obscure little site called Adventure Gamers

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Yes, I had no problems the third time I tried it, some 12 hours later. It has happened before though.

There is only one thing about truth that is certain. Truth… is dead.   Orwell: Ignorance is Strength

Total Posts: 271

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

I suspect some caching issues to be the challenge, will look into it further. On initial glance I don’t see anything ‘broken’ with the system itself so it must be influenced by other factors. Will see if I can somehow reproduce it

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Wow, overnight the I’ve turned into Origami! A magical transformation of the OP on the Forum Home page.

EDIT: And the moment I posted this post “Origami” changed back into Karlok.  Cool

Total Posts: 1027

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Yeah, just an obscure forum glitch related to deleted (spam) posts. Next post always resets it.

Editor-in-Chief, some obscure little site called Adventure Gamers

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

CaliMonk - 12 November 2016 09:23 AM

I suspect some caching issues to be the challenge, will look into it further. On initial glance I don’t see anything ‘broken’ with the system itself so it must be influenced by other factors. Will see if I can somehow reproduce it

Sorry to bother you again, but I change my avatar every Sunday and I ran into the same problem tonight. Last week everything went smoothly though.

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Could you let me know next time you encounter this, what time this is at? Helps me look a bit more specifically in the logs. Haven’t been able to find something so far Frown

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

CaliMonk - 28 November 2016 05:46 AM

Could you let me know next time you encounter this, what time this is at? Helps me look a bit more specifically in the logs. Haven’t been able to find something so far Frown

I tried again just now. The old one doesn’t disappear but looks different. It should look like this:

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

So, what happens is that it takes some time before the new image is shown (caching involved) however it updates the -current- image with the sizes of the new one (width and height).

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

CaliMonk - 28 November 2016 10:20 AM

So, what happens is that it takes some time before the new image is shown (caching involved) however it updates the -current- image with the sizes of the new one (width and height).

Thanks! Stupid of me.  Shifty Eyed

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Karlok - 28 November 2016 02:54 PM

Thanks! Stupid of me.  Shifty Eyed

Hardly something that you could have known :-)  (Not sure if you’re being sarcastic Innocent )

I’m looking into seeing if I can change the behaviour, but doesn’t seem very trivial. Will keep you posted.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

CaliMonk - 28 November 2016 03:09 PM

(Not sure if you’re being sarcastic Innocent )

I was certainly not being sarcastic.

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Ok Smile

Total Posts: 1787

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I have the same problem Karlok mentioned in the beginning of this thread. I could remove my avvie but if I upload a new one I get the old one back, but with the resolution changed to that of the new one, it seems… So weird.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Something else thats weird: when I press F5 after uploading a new avatar, I sometimes see the avatar from one week ago reappear - the one before the avatar I’m trying to change.

My current avatar got accepted when I saved it as gif. Png and jpg didn’t work. Coincidence or part of the problem?

Welcome to the AG forums! View the archived forums here »