• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Question about pixel art in adventure games…

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

Hey there.  I’ve been toying with the idea of trying my hand at creating adventure games, and it got me wondering just how the artwork and backgrounds were created back in the day. Were the backgrounds of old Sierra/Lucasarts classics and etc hand drawn and then scanned and editted in software?  Or were they completely designed and drawn in software clicking in pixel by pixel? Also character face portraits and cutscenes.. It seems to me that it would probably be easier to simply *hand draw* a scene and then scan it or etc and then edit it, but I wonder what the process entailed?  Anyone have any idea?  Cheers Smile

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

what led me to this question was looking through the sq5 galactic enquirer… theres a page in there where it shows drawn or redrawn sets (as if they were making a film or whatever as a joke) and it made me wonder if they actually do draw out things by hand and then transfer them digitally or if they start and end digitally.  just made me wonder

Total Posts: 683

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

I seem to recall reading an article about this, but I’m not sure where.

But from what I can remember LeChuck’s Revenge was drawn and scanned to the computer.
Concept art

Just looking at it, I’d say they did the same thing with KQ5 - KQ7 also SQ 4-6.
It does appear that some elements of Torin’s Passage are pre-render 3d, namely the backgrounds.

I’ll have too look around and see if I can find something concrete about it.

Edit
Behind the Art

Peter Chan “Scanning started to surface, and the scanning machine was this big expensive machine, and no one really knew how to do it and use it and take advantage of it, and I remember I was really intimidated by this scanner. But the good thing was, I was able to draw everything traditionally, and then scan it, draw it and then do the marker version of it, and then scan it into the computer. And then once it’s scanned in, then all the colors are in there, but the problem is, it totally pixelates. I don’t know what the proper term is, but it just turns into this mosaic of pixels, and so, then, I would have to spend time cleaning it up as best as I can, just to make it look cleaner.”

I Am the Knight of the Order of the Sun!

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I believe the first Monkey Island and the earlier Lucasfilm adventures were drawn on the computer, but as SpeedBo mentioned, Monkey Island 2’s backgrounds were scanned in. Not sure about the later games. I think all the games at Lucas and Sierra that were developed initially in EGA were drawn on the computer—that might be a key factor.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

King’s Quest 5 had backgrounds painted and then scanned:
http://kingsquest.wikia.com/wiki/KQ5_development#Gallery

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top